+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Amy Purdy & Derek Hough - Season 18

FORT Fogey

Re: Amy Purdy & Derek Hough - Season 18

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Yep.

Derek could sit his butt down PERMANENTLY, right NOW, and after all that he's accomplished in his field at such a young age, he wouldn't ever need to lift a finger or foot to do anything else, ever, in his life.

No, he doesn't have to prove anything to himself, or anyone else, ever again in this life, or any other.
    Except for Melissa, my boy Tony can't catch a break. I am indeed looking forward to seeing Maks again, and I am hoping for great things for him. I am in awe with what Derek can do and has done, but I too believe it is someone else's time to win. However.....if Derek wins with a partner with no legs - and please don't take that crassly - then there is no way around it - he deserves to win. Right now I just can't fathom how that can happen, but I will be the first one to stand up for him if he manages a win out of this one because he will have done what we have complained about for all these seasons: He will have taken not a clunker ( that isn't fair), but an extreme challenge and taught her and choreographed her to the win.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    Derek's rabid voters and a partner with a disability? Step aside Meryl, here is the real frontrunner. She looks so familiar too. Wasn't she on the Amazing Race?
    Yes, actually. I didn't recognize her at first. Wow. The double amputee.

I agree though. Derek wins too much. It's time for someone else. Otherwise Derek will be the new CC.

Yep.

Derek could sit his butt down PERMANENTLY, right NOW, and after all that he's accomplished in his field at such a young age, he wouldn't ever need to lift a finger or foot to do anything else, ever, in his life.

No, he doesn't have to prove anything to himself, or anyone else, ever again in this life, or any other.
    No, he is one of the better dancers on this show. I don't want him to leave ness. He cannot help it if he wins, we vote for him( his fans) although I have opted out of voting when his partner hasn't been good. If this were Maks that had won as many times, I doubt anyone would want him to sit out either..I don't know this girl, I don't think Derek will this time. My money is on Charlie, but I could be 100% wrong, as Maks has more fans than Sharna
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

If anyone can take Amy far I think it will be Derek. There is no denying his talents. I do remember her from the AR, but that is the only time I have seen her. I can't remember how far she went in the race, but if she can snowboard she certainly has determination. I love both Meryl and Charlie as I have been following them in their ice dancing career so it's going to be hard enough to decide between the two of them. I also know Derek and I expect him to do wonders with Amy. Then there are so many this season that I'm not familiar with. This should be a great season. Even with the twist I don't think anyone knows for sure how it will work. I heard it was going to be a one week thing - much like a Theme Week and then I heard an interview where they said the fans would vote and the new partners would dance, and after that it was up to the Celeb if they wanted to go back to the original pairing or stay with what the fans wanted. Lots of pressure for the Celebs and possible hurt feelings. Guess we just have to wait until TPTB tell us how this will work.

Best of luck to Amy and Derek!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    If anyone can take Amy far I think it will be Derek. There is no denying his talents. I do remember her from the AR, but that is the only time I have seen her. I can't remember how far she went in the race, but if she can snowboard she certainly has determination. I love both Meryl and Charlie as I have been following them in their ice dancing career so it's going to be hard enough to decide between the two of them. I also know Derek and I expect him to do wonders with Amy. Then there are so many this season that I'm not familiar with. This should be a great season. Even with the twist I don't think anyone knows for sure how it will work. I heard it was going to be a one week thing - much like a Theme Week and then I heard an interview where they said the fans would vote and the new partners would dance, and after that it was up to the Celeb if they wanted to go back to the original pairing or stay with what the fans wanted. Lots of pressure for the Celebs and possible hurt feelings. Guess we just have to wait until TPTB tell us how this will work.

Best of luck to Amy and Derek!!!
    Good grief, I hope they don't put the celebrities in that position. As you said, it's way too much pressure and way too much chance of causing hurt feelings all the way around--not only would it hurt the feelings of their previous partners, but the celebrities from whom they filched their new partners would probably not like it either. For that matter, I'm not even sure how that would work with regard to the filched from celebrity--with whom would that person then end up?

One of the things that's been generally true is that the casts themselves have typically gotten along. Maybe there's been a person or two who just didn't work with the rest of them, but for the most part, the celebrities always talk about how surprisingly well they get along, even while competing with one another. If they throw in an angle like that, it could create unnecessary disharmony and make the show a lot less fun.

If it's just for one week, I'd rather they do it by completely random draw and have it last for one week, period. Then everybody goes back to their regular partners. And really, they should save it for nearer the end, when the remaining celebrities are more evenly balanced in terms of talent. There may be still one holding on because of their fan popularity, but it's less likely than in the first few weeks. Plus, the celebrities that have survived that long should be better able to adjust to a new partner.

FORT Fogey

Jonathan Roberts.

Anna Trebunskaya's ex.

I never liked her, either. But, you're right. IIRC, she didn't seem to be totally in the weeds, choreo-wise, when she was on the show.

So, Amy may very well do fine for herself.

ESPECIALLY since she's a snowboarder (from a physicality standpoint), and has Derek for her partner.

Just sayin'.
    I'm not sure being a snowboarder will help her that much. Louie Zito was an Olympic level snowboarder too, but he wasn't a great dancer.

FORT Fogey

I also really hope that the producers will manage to restrain themselves and not remind us twelve times a night that she's an amputee, because I can't imagine that she would really want them to do that.

I just hope Derek doesn't work his magic, she becomes a great dancer and with the twist someone like Val is voted to take her away
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm not sure being a snowboarder will help her that much. Louie Zito was an Olympic level snowboarder too, but he wasn't a great dancer.
    Louie was ADORABLE and cute as a 'lil BUG!

And yep, you're right . . .

He WASN'T a great dancer.

I was thinking and coming from the standpoint that if this young lady --- a DOUBLE amputee! --- can climb onto a snowboard and haul ass successfully --- and facts are facts, there're not a lot of us that CAN do what she does! --- then at the very LEAST, she could and should do fine and acceptably well on the ballroom dance floor.

And perhaps make it just as far, or even farther, than Louie did!

Especially having Derek as her partner.

And, ALSO . . . Especially if she happens to be possessed of ANY sense of rhythm and/or musicality at all.

Lord knows, in this lifetime, or any OTHER, I CERTAINLY couldn't ride a snowboard to save my life. Wouldn't even entertain one second's thought about trying, BTW; I KNOW and cheerfully ACCEPT my limitations!

And even 'lil Louie could beat ME out on a ballroom dance floor (and yep, I actually AM possessed of a sense of rhythm AND musicality)!!!!

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Louie was ADORABLE and cute as a 'lil BUG!

And yep, you're right . . .

He WASN'T a great dancer.

I was thinking and coming from the standpoint that if this young lady --- a DOUBLE amputee! --- can climb onto a snowboard and haul ass successfully --- and facts are facts, there're not a lot of us that CAN do what she does! --- then at the very LEAST, she could and should do fine and acceptably well on the ballroom dance floor.

And perhaps make it just as far, or even farther, than Louie did!

Especially having Derek as her partner.

And, ALSO . . . Especially if she happens to be possessed of ANY sense of rhythm and/or musicality at all.

Lord knows, in this lifetime, or any OTHER, I CERTAINLY couldn't ride a snowboard to save my life. Wouldn't even entertain one second's thought about trying, BTW; I KNOW and cheerfully ACCEPT my limitations!

And even 'lil Louie could beat ME out on a ballroom dance floor (and yep, I actually AM possessed of a sense of rhythm AND musicality)!!!!

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!
    I agree that Louie was cute as a bug and a lot of fun--but, as you said, a great dancer he wasn't. I also agree that the young woman has a lot of courage to start snowboarding and be successful at it. I just meant that even if she has the courage to do that and is good at it, the courage might transfer to the dance floor but the success might not. Some athletes have done very well on the show and some have not. It all depends on whether they have, as you point out, musicality and rhythm and performance ability (which can pick up votes for dancers who aren't as skilled), which certainly aren't required by all sports and which aren't held in equal portions by all athletes, or all human beings, for that matter.

The dance floor may be just as comfortable an arena as a half-pipe for her. I have no idea. There's just no way of telling whether it is or not until we see her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast