+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Billy Dee Williams & Emma Slater - Season 18

Re: Billy Dee Williams & Emma Slater - Season 18

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    OMG I loved him in "Lady Sings the Blues"! That was my first time ever seeing BDW! He was just so awesome and handsome in that movie!

BUT that being said, for me it was also very painful watching him last night. He does not belong on this show.
    I think he was in pain and that is never a pleasant thing
    Ellen and jucamer like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I have loved Billy Dee from way back when he was in the TV Movie "Brian's Song" & fell totally in love with him in Mahogany. It's so sad to watch him now - I know none of us are immortal, but it pains me to see him like that
    Tobi, GabbyG and momrek06 like this.

FORT Fogey

I really blame the producers of this show for setting up a respected but aging actor to be humiliated. They need to exercise some discretion about adding someone who can barely move to the cast. If he lasts beyond the first elimination, he would have to know it's due to the sympathy vote, and would he really want that? Critiques from the judges are bound to be as painful as the dance itself, if not more.
    BTW, Ellen, momrek06 and 1 others like this.

Billy Dee & Emma are on GMA right now ... and they are spending half his airtime talking about Robin's appearance. He was on camera for all of 5 minutes total.

He's old, injured and in pain -- and they still made him take the redeye flight from LA to NYC to be on the show, when they aren't even dancing. They could have let him get some sleep and done the interview via satellite from the ballroom. Robin isn't even there -- it looks like she hung back in LA. This is insanity. He was barely making sense during the interview.
    ilja and jucamer like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

He's gotta be on some heavy pain meds - so sad

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    He's gotta be on some heavy pain meds - so sad
    I still think he is a classy guy. As someone else posted, he should never have been on this show.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yeah, I couldn't believe he flew across country to say three words.
    Ellen likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Check this out:

Billy Dee Williams and Emma Slater 'Made Peace' with Decision to Leave Dancing - Sickness & Injury, Dancing With the Stars, Billy Dee Williams, Emma Slater : People.com

SMH.

IIRC, I said in a post LAST WEEK: "Maybe he needs the money?"

Then, in this exit article, one of the things that comes out of HIS OWN MOUTH is that he " . . . made a lot of money."

Sure, he said the usual, requisite: "I had a blast . . ."

But, come ON, PEOPLE!

He's --- what? --- 76/77 years old, with TWO replaced hips AND an arthritic back. He knew --- going IN! --- that this was a physically-challenging DANCE show, and he STILL chose to take a run at this?

OK.

Maybe he DID do it ONLY for the fun, etc.

But, after his verbal slip about his making a lot of money in that article, I can't help BUT believe that that was a MAJOR --- if not the SOLE --- motivating factor for him to do this.

Whose business is it, ANYWAY, whether or not he made a lot of money? That'd pretty much be a given conclusion that most of us with at least half a brain could and WOULD come to, ANYWAY.

Me?

You couldn't've PAID me enough to've made any comment about making a lot of money while I was on the show, if I'd been in his shoes. I mean, he HAD to know that people might wonder about that, ANYWAY, given his obvious physical limitations. And, to me, his NOT thinking and letting that "money" remark get out there just serves as a red flag for his needing money more than likely being a HUGE catalyst for this whole fiasco.

I dunno.

What I DO know is that I'm glad that his doctor, his pain --- WHATEVER! --- FINALLY worked to get his ass OFF that stage, and sit him DOWN, where he oh-so-obviously needed to be. I TRULY wouldn't've wanted to've seen him risk disabling --- possibly permanently disabling --- injury by continuing to so foolishly go on with this.

And, frankly, had it not been for being ordered to STOP by whoever his doctor is, I absolutely do NOT believe that he would've voluntarily stopped. Pain, or no pain.

I think he'd've kept going until he finally injured himself badly.

OR, his fans finally said "Enough!" for him and put him out of his misery.

MAYBE.

I hope he enjoys the money he made.

SMH.

Last edited by ness; 04-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Ellen likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I still admire the man and his long and successful career. I'm glad he doesn't have to deal with the pain and threat of further injury, but even with his many liabilities, I enjoyed seeing him try so much more than a reality show contestant like Nene (or any others of that ilk, even the few that I like. They are not anywhere close to being "Stars.")
    Ellen, GabbyG, jucamer and 1 others like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't see anything wrong with an actor going on a show to make money. Heck, I would go on that show if they would pay me money and I'm well past my dancing days.
    Florimel likes this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast