+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

I'm 24....and honestly, the band sounds more appealing to me. It's what makes the show different from other dance shows, IMO. Do I think it'll make or break the show? Nah...but I'd prefer to see Harold and his orchestra stick around!

As MW said...I never found the orchestra to be off...it was always the darn singers that would throw me off!
    Miss Scarlet and jucamer like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I actually like the decision. Some of those singers beat those songs and left them for dead.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    I actually like the decision. Some of those singers beat those songs and left them for dead.
    That has always been one of the main conversations on this board. Come to think of it, now I am wondering if they are doing away with the band because so many people have complained for so long about the singers. We can't have the band without the singers, so they just do away with all of them; however, that is kind of like the proverbial throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Lots of tweets about how this is a really dumb move..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I read an article not too long ago that explained why advertisers focus on the younger audience instead of baby boomers. From what I remember, the basic explanation is that younger people are more likely to try new things. Baby boomers are considered to be more set in their ways, knowing which brands they trust, which ones they don't, and what they will try. So even though most people in their 50s and 60s have more disposable income, they are less likely to be persuaded by advertising. The same article said it is changing the ways marketing is done, because while 18-30 year olds may be more open to new brands, they are less likely to watch and trust commercials. So they are coming up with all sorts of new ways to reach them. If i can find it, I'll try to figure out how to share it here. But it does explain why networks change shows to try to get the young people.
    I think there's some truth to that explanation, though I agree with the point about older people having more disposable income -- and also, older people are the last group who go INSIDE stores a lot, as opposed to ordering everything on the internet, so you'd think brick-and-mortar shops of all kinds would be looking to appeal to an older demo (not just products, but the actual stores looking to advertize themselves, like Macy's, Kohl's, Office Depot, whatever is even left at the malls or shopping areas anymore.

But another way young-demo-chasing was explained to me: older people watch a lot of t.v. during non-peak hours, when ads are cheap, like during the daytime. The advertizers have only ONE chance only to capture a younger demo: prime time. So to waste prime time on shows that younger people don't watch, when those same viewers are cheaper to capture at other times, doesn't make sense.

I don't like that philosophy either, and fewer younger people watch t.v. EVER, but I guess there's still enough to have The Voice, The Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family hold at 4 or higher in the demo, and all the traditional networks are desperate for more shows like that. And DWTS dipped to 1.7 during S17 (week between Cher and Maks' judging) -- "Body of Proof" had 7 or 8 million viewers, which is pretty good, you'd think -- but when the demos hit about 1.5 it was canceled.

I think DWTS sees the writing on the wall as they've been slipping in the demos every season since S12, the last and I think only season Derek skipped btw, not that I'm implying he's the reason the ratings are slipping, but he's certainly not keeping them up, though maybe their "focus groups" tell a different story and they'd be even lower without him -- still, I credit a lot of that to their outrageous propping. If they're going down anyway, I wish they'd do ONE season without blatant manipulation, but I know that's a pipe dream. I think it's what's wrong with the show, but I bet there's not a producer in Hollywood who'd agree with me -- they probably will be doing MORE scripting and fakery, trying to plug the leaks in their sinking ship.
    Last edited by Reposada; 02-07-2014 at 01:40 AM.

I take this as sad news. Of all the things they could fix they decide to remove the orchestra?

In hindsight, they could have made much better use of the orchestra. All that time wasted with fill could instead have been used to show us some behind the scenes views of the orchestra. Tom politely thanked the orchestra each week but they seemed to go to some effort to make sure the orchestra was never more than a prop and that individual orchestra members never gained attention. Putting on this show every week must have created some drama with the orchestra--they probably could make an entire show about the DWTS orchestra.

So I guess if they are going to continue to treat them like a prop then whether they stay or go doesn't make much difference.

Update from Andy Dehnart at reality blurred: Apparently the show has hired American Idol’s former music director, Ray Chew, who says he will lead a group of “live musicians and singers.”

So, they didn't totally get rid of live music. They just got rid of the large orchestra and replaced it with a guy and some synthesizers in order to pinch pennies. This makes me even more angry in a way.

DWTS hires Idol's former music director, and will still have live musicians, singers + reality blurred
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'm going to hold off passing judgment until the show is on & I get to hear it for myself.
    It's human nature to resist & criticize change, but change happens whether we like it or not. None of us knows what this new way will sound like yet.
    It may be just fine. After all, there has been loads of criticism of the quality of the singers & the pace & inappropriateness of the arrangements in the past. If it sounds tacky & takes away from the elegantness, then I will say so & complain then. Until then, the jury's still out for me.
    RBmumsie likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

As a side note, did you all know that Derek did the choreography for the gold medal winning ice dancers in the Olympics?

A whole new career opens up for him....like he was lacking in his current one. LOL

FORT Fogey

Since they already have the connection, I think it would be fun if they cast both Charlie and Meryl as competitors for this season. Let them compete against each other and see how they dance without ice. Of course, Meryl should not be paired with Derek since they have a past connection.

+ Reply to Thread