+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 194
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

  1. #141
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Thanks, Tilden. I did not know that. Do you know at what level Kristi's daughter is skating?
    I don't. I'm not sure of her age either--she may still be pretty young.

    I do know that Galindo worked with kids even when he was still training as an elite singles skater, because his sister was working with them, and he was helping her out. According to his autobiography, he always enjoyed working with them and watching how excited they'd get when they first got a skill down pat.

  2. #142
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Just because the rules in ice dance competitions don't allow lifts above the shoulder doesn't mean these two can't do them. Many ice dancers do lifts far more challenging than DWTS lifts in their routines. In their exhibition routines they often to full overhead lifts. Neither of these two will be lift challenged.
    I didn't need to imply that they couldn't. I was trying to address the notion that Charlie, as an ice dancer, had an advantage over Kristie, a former pairs skater, because he had experience with lifts. I do think it gives him an advantage. Just not more of an advantage than it would give a pairs skater, where lifts above the shoulder are used competitively and in exhibition.

  3. #143
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I read that Charlie and Sharna had Contemporary their first week and maybe we will get to see some lifts by Charlie right away - depending on what Sharna choreographs.
    I really don't think anyone should get Contemporary straight out of the box, but it should be easier for someone like Charlie, who's used to lifts and choreography, than for someone with little to no dance experience.

    I think it's actually much easier to judge who's doing a good job when they stick to two dances a week.

  4. #144
    FORT Fogey Jaceegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I really don't think anyone should get Contemporary straight out of the box, but it should be easier for someone like Charlie, who's used to lifts and choreography, than for someone with little to no dance experience.

    I think it's actually much easier to judge who's doing a good job when they stick to two dances a week.
    I agree Tilden and I enjoy watching it that way as well. I think it's easier to compare the dancers even from a viewer's perspective. I don't know why they changed it from the way it used to be, but it seems like when they started adding different styles in they switched things up. I'm not even sure if all dancers dance the exact same dances throughout the season. I prefer the way it used to be and let SYTYCD cover the other styles. jmho
    Florimel and SpringMaiden27 like this.

  5. #145
    Forum Assistant Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,765

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    The new commercial addresses the switch. The last image is of Derek dipping Drew. It could happen.
    jucamer likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #146
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,096

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I really don't think anyone should get Contemporary straight out of the box, but it should be easier for someone like Charlie, who's used to lifts and choreography, than for someone with little to no dance experience.

    I think it's actually much easier to judge who's doing a good job when they stick to two dances a week.
    I would pay $50 to see Tony try to lift Nene Leakes in week 1. She is the reason I stopped watching RHWA & used to really like her for her brutal honesty but now she is just a bitter, loud bully.
    combatcutie likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  7. #147
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I read that Charlie and Sharna had Contemporary their first week and maybe we will get to see some lifts by Charlie right away - depending on what Sharna choreographs.
    Gor for it, Charlie! Lift her and twist her around like a pretzel while you have the chance. Might as well start out with a bang.....

    Just hope Len isn't feeling the grumps and says something like he doesn't like all this messing around.
    combatcutie likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

    - John McMillan

  8. #148
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The new commercial addresses the switch. The last image is of Derek dipping Drew. It could happen.

    Now I'm picturing that happening and the two of them getting AT or Contemporary--something that allowed lifts. Drew would pretty much have to be the one lifting in that case, because even though he's much trimmer than he once was, Derek's still much smaller than he is.

  9. #149
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,177

    Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Just because the rules in ice dance competitions don't allow lifts above the shoulder doesn't mean these two can't do them. Many ice dancers do lifts far more challenging than DWTS lifts in their routines. In their exhibition routines they often to full overhead lifts. Neither of these two will be lift challenged.
    Hi DancingDad, no question you are correct. These elite ice dancers do over head lifts, and even more intricate lifts in competition. Shae Lynn Bourne and Marie France Dubreil great ice dancers, were both involved in "Battle of The Blades" in Canada where they compete with hockey players as partners against other elite athletes like pairs skater EKaterina Gordeeva and they all did over head lifts to impress the judges. Now, these are "retired" ice dancers, not fresh off the Olympics and yet they were sharp and crisp.

    The other thing that makes this a slam dunk for Charlie and Meryl is they get training in Ballroom dancing, from ballroom experts for their competitions. They have to have this training in order to properly interpret Ballroom, the emotion, the arm positions, specific movement, etc. Their short program has to look Ballroom authentic in order to get the marks. A Quickstep has to be authentic. Most of the female partners at least are also trained in ballet. Tessa Virtue had a choice of continuing in Ice Dance or going to the National Ballet in Canada. So, this is the level of their Olympic competition. When you have a standard in Ice Dance that's Torvil and Dean's Paso Doble which is better on ice than many Paso Doble's performed on stage, then you realize how far above the competition these two are.

    So yeah, if the pro ballroom dancers could ice skate, that's how they would look on the ice.

    It's hard to even get interested in the competition anymore when there's not only people with dance training, but specific dance training to ballroom dancing on the show.

  10. #150
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Hi DancingDad, no question you are correct. These elite ice dancers do over head lifts, and even more intricate lifts in competition. Shae Lynn Bourne and Marie France Dubreil great ice dancers, were both involved in "Battle of The Blades" in Canada where they compete with hockey players as partners against other elite athletes like pairs skater EKaterina Gordeeva and they all did over head lifts to impress the judges. Now, these are "retired" ice dancers, not fresh off the Olympics and yet they were sharp and crisp.

    The other thing that makes this a slam dunk for Charlie and Meryl is they get training in Ballroom dancing, from ballroom experts for their competitions. They have to have this training in order to properly interpret Ballroom, the emotion, the arm positions, specific movement, etc. Their short program has to look Ballroom authentic in order to get the marks. A Quickstep has to be authentic. Most of the female partners at least are also trained in ballet. Tessa Virtue had a choice of continuing in Ice Dance or going to the National Ballet in Canada. So, this is the level of their Olympic competition. When you have a standard in Ice Dance that's Torvil and Dean's Paso Doble which is better on ice than many Paso Doble's performed on stage, then you realize how far above the competition these two are.

    So yeah, if the pro ballroom dancers could ice skate, that's how they would look on the ice.

    It's hard to even get interested in the competition anymore when there's not only people with dance training, but specific dance training to ballroom dancing on the show.
    Hi EC :...respecfully disagreeing, but this is when it is going to be great to watch because these two teams ought to do some beautiful, fascinating stuff. Will either one of them win? Sometimes the ringers do, and sometimes they don't - it is not automatic. Now if Meryl started out with Derek, I would be yelling, "Unfair!" with everyone because she would have a half-mile headstart right out of the gate on everyone else; however, Maks is nowhere near the overwhelming audience favorite that Derek is although he does have a rather loyal group of fans.

    Here is the other reason that you and Dancing Dad need to be sure and hang around - you two are in your element as far as being knowlegeable. As for myself? I have found that it is much safer not to get overly infested in who wins and just go along for the ride. That way I am not too disappointed in the results....and I don't become the target.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

    - John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.