+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

What a weak cast this is especially when compared to last season. What bugs me is when the show tries to cast stars to bring in young voters they choose people only teens who watch Disney would know. I have no idea who Cody, Amy, James, and Billy are (should I feel bad about not knowing Billy?). If this is the best they could do, I worry about the future of this show. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Also, regarding the 'twist'...did they announce that the viewers would decide which star would go with which pro "for the remainder of the competition" or was it left open to interpretation? I'm thinking maybe the twist would just include ONE week of switched partners and then they would go back to their originals....you know how Reality TV likes to mess with our heads with their teasers. I hope this is one of those cases....
    I could go for that. In fact, it might be kind of fun that way. It has happened before in cases of pro injuries. But to have the whole cast do that for just a week would be fine. Just so they go back to their original pro after.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    What a weak cast this is especially when compared to last season. What bugs me is when the show tries to cast stars to bring in young voters they choose people only teens who watch Disney would know. I have no idea who Cody, Amy, James, and Billy are (should I feel bad about not knowing Billy?). If this is the best they could do, I worry about the future of this show. Yikes.
    Well last season was a bit of a snorefest really. Maks is back for his fans to enjoy.I don't think the twist means very much.
    I like to see good dancing, I am also okay with okay dancing
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fan

I'm watching for Maks, and NoNo will never get a vote from me.
    AZChristian and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    These two should have even more advantage that Kristi did because they are both experienced in lifts, they are ice dancers instead of ice skaters, and they are experienced performing with a partner while Kristi was not.

They should both make the finals.
    I am a huge Meryl and Charlie fan and will root for them even though they are ringers of the highest degree. They are both wonderful people!

BTW - You may have forgotten that Kristi Yamaguchi was the United States Pairs Figure Skating champoin before she went solo and won Olympic Gold. She had pleanty of experience with lifts.

Yes, I knew that. Her partner was Rudy Galindo if memory serves.
    jucamer likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm not sure what this comment has to do with what I posted, which was about the twist. I also said I'd prefer that Meryl and Charlie be at Worlds, not on DWTS, so it's not as if I am thrilled they're there, dance experience or not. I'd just as soon they stay on the ice and off the ballroom floor, because I'd rather watch them skate and keep the U.S. with three positions for next year's Worlds. Plus, an additional World championship would be more impressive to me than a mirror ball trophy. However, since they've won multiple national championships, multiple world championships, and both silver and gold at the Olympics, perhaps they felt it was time to move on. Heaven knows, elite skating takes a great deal of time and money, and they've already won everything there is to win.

And surely DWTS knew they had dance experience when they asked them and obviously didn't care, just as they haven't cared about the dance experience of numerous contestants in the past. That's one of the reasons I'm a bit soured on the show. I'd prefer it if they kept the dance experience of the contestants as equal as possible, but it's clear that they're not even trying to do that, just as it's fairly clear that certain pros have been chosen as the ones who get certain kinds of contestants--Tristan usually got an older partner, Louis used to get the ones with personal issues of one sort or another, poor Tony often gets the one everyone expects to cause him trouble and leave early etc. I'd like to be surprised a bit more often. In the earlier seasons, sometimes I was. But not lately.

As it is, I'm torn. I love watching Meryl and Charlie ice dance with each other, but I'm not as enthusiastic about watching them dance with other people on a show that's become predictable.
    They won a bronze medal too at the Olympics in the team competition. It really looks like they've won everything possible in the competitive skating world. They are not going to Worlds. I look forward to seeing them have some fun on DWTS, and getting to be Olympic champions on the Stars on Ice tour. It's tough to think we may have seen their last competitive skate, but what a performance it was!

I'm really interested to see what Maks can bring out in Meryl's dancing. Also can't wait to see Drew Carey, Billy Dee Williams, and Nene Leaks on the dance floor.

Re: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

I'm pretty happy with this cast. I've heard of at least half of them, there are no overtly controversial stars, and although there is a ringer, there are actually a number of ringers so it won't be a foregone conclusion by week 3. I think there will be more than the usual "surprise" eliminations and we won't be able to predict the results. The twist sounds awkward, but they are letting the fans do the voting (don't know how that works), so we have some power to affect the outcome if we are unhappy with the pairings.

There is a new hostess, which will be interesting, even if she is not better than Brooke.

Overall, I expect this to be a much better season than the fall.

BTW, I thought it was really awkward to have the pairs sitting next to the judges during the show. I hope them move them back to the balcony.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I am a huge Meryl and Charlie fan and will root for them even though they are ringers of the highest degree. They are both wonderful people!

BTW - You may have forgotten that Kristi Yamaguchi was the United States Pairs Figure Skating champoin before she went solo and won Olympic Gold. She had pleanty of experience with lifts.
    I couldn't agree more with you about both Charlie and Meryl. I have been following them for awhile now and love the both of them. It's going to be hard to pick a favorite between these two. I'm just excited that they are going to be on the show. For me even if they are considered ringers I have never been bothered by anyone who is a ringer because I just like to see good dancing. I know many people are totally against ringers and would never vote for them based on that reason alone. I guess we all have our different opinions and that is fine. I actually think this season may have a few more possible ringers and it makes me wonder what people will do that are against voting for ringers.

I also remember that about Kristi Yamaguchi and she was my favorite her season and even though she was considered a ringer she won.

I'm looking forward to this season and imo the twist has to be for one week only much like a Theme Week. There are too many reasons why it wouldn't work if it was for longer then that.

BTW, I thought it was really awkward to have the pairs sitting next to the judges during the show. I hope them move them back to the balcony.
    RickiRick I couldn't agree more with you about that.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 03-05-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Yes, I knew that. Her partner was Rudy Galindo if memory serves.
    Kristi Yamaguchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With Rudy Galindo she won the junior title at the U.S. championships in 1986. Two years later, Yamaguchi won the singles and, with Galindo, the pairs titles at the 1988 World Junior Championships; Galindo had won the 1987 World Junior Championship in singles. In 1989 Yamaguchi and Galindo won the senior pairs title at the U.S. Championships. They won the title again in 1990.

As a pairs team, Yamaguchi and Galindo were unusual in that they were both accomplished singles skaters, which allowed them to consistently perform difficult elements like side by side Triple Flip jumps, which are still more difficult than side by side jumps performed by current top international pairs teams. They also jumped and spun in opposite directions, Yamaguchi counter-clockwise, and Galindo clockwise, which gave them an unusual look on the ice. In 1990, Yamaguchi decided to focus solely on singles. Galindo went on to have a successful singles career as well, winning the 1996 U.S. championships and the 1996 World bronze medal.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread