+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: DWTS 18 (premieres Mon Mar 17th) - News and Speculation

Re: Dancing With The Stars 18 (premieres Mar 18th) - News and Speculation

So Diana Nyad got some new guy - Henry Byalikov, as a partner. Tristan must have said no this time since he always ends up with the older ladies lol. I was really hoping to see Tristan get a younger partner, but if not, then I am glad he got a break this season lol.

Glad to see Witney Carson as a pro! She's totally adorable!

I predict an Olympic showoff this season! Meryl and Maks vs Charlie and Sharna
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

If they were going to do a switch, they should do it as a blind draw. If a fan vote does it, there are just too many variables, including fan bases of pros just trying to get their favorites a better shot at winning (ditto stars) or groups deliberately trying to screw up the competition by putting a dancer who has, perhaps, survived by popularity rather than talent, with a partner whose popularity can get him or her to the end.

Too bad they couldn't just have an entirely second set of pros for the second half. You know, have everyone start with someone who's new or relatively new (no more than one season), and then at mid-season, have the stars switch to other more established pros, with no one knowing who's going to whom. Then the vote would almost have to be more about the stars than the pros--and they could have the new people return for the finale and have the star dance with each of them, so you could see who really could work with more than one partner.

And, personally, I wish Charlie and Meryl weren't on the show, because I'd rather they go to Worlds in March. I don't see how they can do both, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    So Diana Nyad got some new guy - Henry Byalikov, as a partner. Tristan must have said no this time since he always ends up with the older ladies lol. I was really hoping to see Tristan get a younger partner, but if not, then I am glad he got a break this season lol.

Glad to see Witney Carson as a pro! She's totally adorable!

I predict an Olympic showoff this season! Meryl and Maks vs Charlie and Sharna
    Tristan got married, I think he wanted to be with his wife for this season

I don't care for the twist, I think its silly..

Derek has Amy, who presumably won't win but they could have a lot of fun and provide a nice inspiring story for half the season. BUT, if the twist happens while she is still in the competition, Derek might switch for someone else and end up winning again. I'm a huge Derek fan, but even I want someone else to win this time.
    I think someone else should win as well MFW, but Derek will stay the course, he isn't a quitter..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If they were going to do a switch, they should do it as a blind draw. If a fan vote does it, there are just too many variables, including fan bases of pros just trying to get their favorites a better shot at winning (ditto stars) or groups deliberately trying to screw up the competition by putting a dancer who has, perhaps, survived by popularity rather than talent, with a partner whose popularity can get him or her to the end.

Too bad they couldn't just have an entirely second set of pros for the second half. You know, have everyone start with someone who's new or relatively new (no more than one season), and then at mid-season, have the stars switch to other more established pros, with no one knowing who's going to whom. Then the vote would almost have to be more about the stars than the pros--and they could have the new people return for the finale and have the star dance with each of them, so you could see who really could work with more than one partner.

And, personally, I wish Charlie and Meryl weren't on the show, because I'd rather they go to Worlds in March. I don't see how they can do both, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Charlie and Meryl -wow all that dance experience. LOL j/k
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    True, they have been dancing on ice; however, look back at Kristi......I said at the time it was as though they just took her off the skates and put her on the dance floor. She took off, and it was much the same watching her. She had very little trouble with anything. Will these two be the same? Who knows, but they have a headstart. They have rhythm, control of their muscles, they know how to count, they know choreography, they have little fear of performing in front of an audience, and who knows what other advantages. Still, I think they will be a joy to watch individually, and it is going to be fun to watch this pair who has competed together for 17 years go up against each other,
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    True, they have been dancing on ice; however, look back at Kristi......I said at the time it was as though they just took her off the skates and put her on the dance floor. She took off, and it was much the same watching her. She had very little trouble with anything. Will these two be the same? Who knows, but they have a headstart. They have rhythm, control of their muscles, they know how to count, they know choreography, they have little fear of performing in front of an audience, and who knows what other advantages. Still, I think they will be a joy to watch individually, and it is going to be fun to watch this pair who has competed together for 17 years go up against each other,
    These two will be the same.
    -Andy Rooney-

Fingers crossed, this just might be Maks season to win! I'm watching. Are you doing a pool Pickchau?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Whitney is dancing! When I didn't see her as one of the troupe, I felt sad. It's all right that Henry also moved up from troupe.

The troupe dancers this year are: Sasha Farber, Lindsay Arnold, Artem Chigvintsev and Jenna Johnson. The two new members are also alum of SYTYCD.

P.S. I will miss seeing Gleb dance with Whitney with the troupe, but I'm glad she got a shot. I wonder where he is?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Fingers crossed, this just might be Maks season to win! I'm watching. Are you doing a pool Pickchau?
    She has it up already, man she is fast
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I'm not sure what this comment has to do with what I posted, which was about the twist. I also said I'd prefer that Meryl and Charlie be at Worlds, not on DWTS, so it's not as if I am thrilled they're there, dance experience or not. I'd just as soon they stay on the ice and off the ballroom floor, because I'd rather watch them skate and keep the U.S. with three positions for next year's Worlds. Plus, an additional World championship would be more impressive to me than a mirror ball trophy. However, since they've won multiple national championships, multiple world championships, and both silver and gold at the Olympics, perhaps they felt it was time to move on. Heaven knows, elite skating takes a great deal of time and money, and they've already won everything there is to win.

And surely DWTS knew they had dance experience when they asked them and obviously didn't care, just as they haven't cared about the dance experience of numerous contestants in the past. That's one of the reasons I'm a bit soured on the show. I'd prefer it if they kept the dance experience of the contestants as equal as possible, but it's clear that they're not even trying to do that, just as it's fairly clear that certain pros have been chosen as the ones who get certain kinds of contestants--Tristan usually got an older partner, Louis used to get the ones with personal issues of one sort or another, poor Tony often gets the one everyone expects to cause him trouble and leave early etc. I'd like to be surprised a bit more often. In the earlier seasons, sometimes I was. But not lately.

As it is, I'm torn. I love watching Meryl and Charlie ice dance with each other, but I'm not as enthusiastic about watching them dance with other people on a show that's become predictable.

+ Reply to Thread