+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Amber Riley & Derek Hough - Season 17

Re: Amber Riley & Derek Hough - Season 17

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Len and Derek have a mutual understanding. He didn't argue or backchat Len when Len gave him a 7.Len marks Derek as he sees fit , and it brings on a lot of cheering for Len. That why I posted, if CA judges the lifts, why don't the other judges?? There is never a set rule for this fluffy show . But we tune in week after week- so something must draw us to it. I tune into see the dancing, and mostly to watch Derek, and if I like someone else along the way, that's a bonus for me
    Agreed.

I have LONG been sick and tired of CA and her damned Lift Police schtick that never ends. And yep, I'll be the FIRST one to raise my hand and admit that I've watched EVERY show, from the FIRST one, back when Kelly and Alec won.

So yep, I just keep coming back for more!

And this thought JUST hit me . . .

My time to edit my previous post had elapsed, so just bear with me, please.

I think ONE of the reasons Derek came up with that "off the reservation" Foxtrot just MIGHT have had to do with the fact that Amber, bless her heart, has suffered knee problems in the past recent weeks.

Derek is no fool, and he KNEW Len was going to disembowel him for that.

BUT . . .

Let's be honest . . . With her knee (and other) recent injuries, can anybody HONESTLY say they could've seen Amber pulling off a Foxtrot? In HEELS? Frankly, I can't IMAGINE her taking to the floor to do a by-the-book Foxtrot in FLATS. And with her knee problems, I ABSOLUTELY couldn't've seen her doing one in HEELS.

Yep, she wore heels last night. And the dance they DID do was manageable, obviously, for her, in standard dancing heels.

And they pulled that dance off BEAUTIFULLY.

And yep, even though it's probably coming across as though I absolutely DESPISED that dance, I didn't. As usual, I loved it.

So, I think it's possible, too, that in THIS instance, Derek just MIGHT'VE been looking out for Amber's long-term well-being on the show by coming up with that non-Foxtrot Foxtrot for them to do.

Maybe that WASN'T the reason, but I DO think it's PLAUSIBLE, at least.

Doesn't explain the OTHER non-by-the-book dances he's done with other partners, but, oh well.

Just sayin' and trying to be fair and reasonable all around.
    Need40winks likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

ness, you are fair and reasonable(most of the time)

Amber has had trouble with her knee(s), that was my first thought when they danced .. I cant help loving this talented guy, no more than some cant stop loving Maks. It would be a boring world if we all loved the same thing . Its fun watching DWTS with everyone. I cant imagine watching it alone now.
    ness and Baby's Breath like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Carrie Ann marks off 1 point for a lift. Len marks off 3 points for his annoyances with Derek.

You're right - it doesn't do Len any good if getting to Derek is his intention. Len does it any way and then seems perturbed when Derek doesn't spit back, and the studio audio boos him. I think the studio audience might have been a little less counter reactive if Len had taken off 2 points which would have made the scores 10, 9, and 8, but by giving Derek a 7 instead of an 8, it became clear that he was scoring Derek with his own personal preference (low score) rather than with just a penalty (1 or 2 points) for not sticking with the assigned dance. The 7 glares - much like Carrie Ann's lifts - whereas a point or 2 might not. Len then looks worse to the studio audience - he becomes the bad guy - worse than Derek who didn't stick to the dance does.
    Oh, I CLEARLY remember Derek losing it and seriously mouthing off at the judges.

ONE.

TIME.

It happened when Derek and Shannon Elizabeth were partnered. Shannon'd gotten some not-so-complimentary notes from the judges for her performance, and Derek. Went. OFF.

I mean, that boy pulled a Maks before MAKS even did it.

My mouth was hanging OPEN at what I was seeing.

IIRC, CA even jumped into it and let Derek HAVE it for not being respectful to the judges (in particular, LEN).

Frankly, Derek --- as much as I could see and understand WHY he was pissed --- made himself look like a 14-carat ass, that night.

And, either HE cooled off and realized it himself, later on, OR he was made or became aware that he didn't present himself well. Why? Because after the next week's crits, after the judges had finished speaking, he apologized for his words and behavior on camera, in front of God and everybody.

The judges graciously acknowledged and accepted his apologies, and I don't recall him losing it like that on the show since that time.

EVER.

So, Derek doesn't have clean hands when it comes to going off on camera, either.

He just LEARNED from his mistake.

ness, you are fair and reasonable(most of the time)

Amber has had trouble with her knee(s), that was my first thought when they danced .. I cant help loving this talented guy, no more than some cant stop loving Maks. It would be a boring world if we all loved the same thing . Its fun watching DWTS with everyone. I cant imagine watching it alone now.
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Me, EITHER!!!!!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think I remember that Ness. And your description of all that occurred pretty much nailed it.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Amber and Derek's foxtrot was one of my two favorites dances for the night. The other one being Corbin and Karina. They were very different, but both really entertained me. This was Amber to a T. It showed her vibrant and sassy personality and went along with the song perfectly. I agree with ness that Derek may have been looking out for Amber's knees. If someone has an injury of any kind then I would guess the choreography has to be done to work around that. I have always enjoyed Derek's choreography and I do think he is a great teacher.

Regarding the talk of who gets who for a partner I think a lot of different factors go into who gets who for partners each year. One of them would be whether a certain pro was asked for. I am sure the show would allow that if it meant they got that star to be on for that season. I also think height is another important criteria they use. They have to do the best they can with that depending on the star's height and what particular pro is available. For instance I read because of Nicole being so tiny that was why Sasha is on this season. I guess he is their shortest guy so they brought him out from the troupe and made him a pro this season.

My feelings regarding the judges - I guess this is where the rules imo should be clear from the start of the season. If all judges are looking at different things because it is hard to watch all the different elements then I have no problem with it. What I find frustrating is that Len likes dances that are more in hold. Yet, I have seen other Foxtrots in the past that were danced very similar to this one that Len raved about. Same with CA and her being the lift police. I have seen her give passes on those as well. I don't mind rules at all, but all I ask is for them to be consistent with their own rules that they want enforced. I have seen where Len goes berserk when some people use props and puts them down for it and then turns around and loves it when someone else does it. That is what confuses me.
    Need40winks likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    Amber and Derek's foxtrot was one of my two favorites dances for the night. The other one being Corbin and Karina. They were very different, but both really entertained me. This was Amber to a T. It showed her vibrant and sassy personality and went along with the song perfectly. I agree with ness that Derek may have been looking out for Amber's knees. If someone has an injury of any kind then I would guess the choreography has to be done to work around that. I have always enjoyed Derek's choreography and I do think he is a great teacher.

Regarding the talk of who gets who for a partner I think a lot of different factors go into who gets who for partners each year. One of them would be whether a certain pro was asked for. I am sure the show would allow that if it meant they got that star to be on for that season. I also think height is another important criteria they use. They have to do the best they can with that depending on the star's height and what particular pro is available. For instance I read because of Nicole being so tiny that was why Sasha is on this season. I guess he is their shortest guy so they brought him out from the troupe and made him a pro this season.

My feelings regarding the judges - I guess this is where the rules imo should be clear from the start of the season. If all judges are looking at different things because it is hard to watch all the different elements then I have no problem with it. What I find frustrating is that Len likes dances that are more in hold. Yet, I have seen other Foxtrots in the past that were danced very similar to this one that Len raved about. Same with CA and her being the lift police. I have seen her give passes on those as well. I don't mind rules at all, but all I ask is for them to be consistent with their own rules that they want enforced. I have seen where Len goes berserk when some people use props and puts them down for it and then turns around and loves it when someone else does it. That is what confuses me.
    You have nailed that one to the ground, and sweet stuff it ain't going nowhere..... However, he is not the only one to do that kind of them. Carrie Ann indeed does it with the lifts, and who knows about Bruno. Sometimes I think he runs with whatever is being whispered into the monitor in his ear.

Ness, I don't remember Derek's meltdown, but I wish I did. In a way, speaking back is good and bad. I read once that the stars and pros are encouraged by the producers to do it ( obviously for the drama and controversy), but too much is very disrespectful and annoying. On the other hand, we know that the judges definitely have and have always had their annoying ways. It is for sure that the producers aren't going to speak to them about them, and if the pros had never said anything at all, some of these things ( like the lifts) would have only gotten worse as we went along.
    Since Karina spoke up and the lift issue was made painfully clear, the onus is now on Carrie Ann. She knows she will look bad if she isn't right, and I am thinking she might be a little more careful about immediately jumping on lifts.

Derek is clearly wrong when Len docks him, but when Len docks him 3 points, then Len ends up looking petty ( the crowd boos Len) because his personal feelings have been shown rather than his professional judgment which would have been indicated by a lesser docking ( 1-2 points in a similar vein to the lift).

While the confrontations seem disrespful on the surface, in a situation where the rules are not clearly established like they are in dancing competitions, sometimes the only way to get resolutions ( or make any change or progress) might be the confrontation.

All said, I agree with Ness that Derek did learn from the lesson. I enjoy his routines, and I feel that Derek is the one who comes out looking better when Len docks him 3 points when he doesn't stick to the dance or has too many props instead of being docked 1 point and yet keeps his mouth closed.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

These two have the samba next week. I hope she nails it
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Oh, I CLEARLY remember Derek losing it and seriously mouthing off at the judges.

ONE.

TIME.

It happened when Derek and Shannon Elizabeth were partnered. Shannon'd gotten some not-so-complimentary notes from the judges for her performance, and Derek. Went. OFF.

I mean, that boy pulled a Maks before MAKS even did it.

My mouth was hanging OPEN at what I was seeing.

IIRC, CA even jumped into it and let Derek HAVE it for not being respectful to the judges (in particular, LEN).

Frankly, Derek --- as much as I could see and understand WHY he was pissed --- made himself look like a 14-carat ass, that night.

And, either HE cooled off and realized it himself, later on, OR he was made or became aware that he didn't present himself well. Why? Because after the next week's crits, after the judges had finished speaking, he apologized for his words and behavior on camera, in front of God and everybody.

The judges graciously acknowledged and accepted his apologies, and I don't recall him losing it like that on the show since that time.

EVER.

So, Derek doesn't have clean hands when it comes to going off on camera, either.

He just LEARNED from his mistake.

LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Me, EITHER!!!!!
    Not quite ness, Derek actually said what he said in the confessional while Shannon was in tears. He quickly apologised for doing that .Maks did it to Lens face- did he say sorry? I don't honestly recall.
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Not quite ness, Derek actually said what he said in the confessional while Shannon was in tears. He quickly apologised for doing that .Maks did it to Lens face- did he say sorry? I don't honestly recall.
    LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

You're RIGHT, FM, and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I got a hormone-laden brain fart and got Maks' and Derek's meltdowns mixed up and mixed IN, together. Derek DID lose his mind about the judges' crit of Shannon in the confessional, after the show (and, yep, I remember her crying while he did!).

Yep, Derek pulled a Maks before MAKS ever pulled one!

Yep, in the confessional OR on the floor, Derek made himself look like a 14-carat ass that night.

Yep, he either cooled off and figured that out on his own, OR had his coat pulled about it, later on. Thus, the on-stage apologies during the following week's show/crits.

Nope, I don't EVER recall Derek going off like that again --- on the floor OR in the confessional --- after that one meltdown.

So, yep, I think Derek learned his lesson from that and THAT'S why he laughs or just lets it roll and says NOTHING (or pretty MUCH nothing!) when they take him apart onstage, now.

1. He's gonna do what he's gonna do, ANYWAY.

And . . .

2. When he keeps his mouth SHUT in front of the cameras, HE knows that HE doesn't wind up looking like the idiot, but THEY sure do!

God alone only KNOWS what he says behind his closed front door, of course!

But I sure as HELL have NEVER seen Derek go off on or about them and their antics in front of ANY camera lens, SINCE THEN!

And yep, Maks famously blew up at 'em, right at the scene of their crime, on the floor, during their crits when he felt they'd dissed Hope (?) unfairly (and, IIRC, now, it was THIS donnybrook that CA got pissed at and jumped in on!).

Matter of fact, I even seem to recall Maks saying to Hope (?) in the confessional AFTER the on-the-floor dust-up: "Don't ever say I don't have your back!"

Nope, I don't think MAKS did himself any favors with that, either. Even though I know and understand that he got pissed when he felt they were laying into Hope (?) unfairly, and felt he needed to stand up for and protect her.

And, to me, now that you've clarified when and WHERE Derek lost his mind, frankly, MHO is that DEREK'S blowup was WORSE than MAKS', in a way, because Maks DID at least go after them RIGHT TO THEIR FACES.

The next time Derek and Shannon stood before the judges after he'd lost his mind in the confessional, Derek DID shamefacedly and (I thought, at least!) SINCERELY apologize to the judges onstage, during the show, and they graciously accepted his apologies.

Maks, OTOH?

Far as I know as of the time I'm typing this, he has YET to apologize. Matter of fact, I seem to recall reading/hearing/seeing stories to the effect that even his FATHER said he should apologize, and his response (at least THUS far!) was --- and IS:

"I have nothing to apologize FOR!"

Paraphrasing, his reasoning for NOT apologizing, IIRC, was:

"I grew up in a country where you couldn't speak your mind. Here, you can DO that without fear. So I DO!"

OK.

Two wrongs DON'T make a right.

But, I DO have to admit that I understood and can understand what MAKS said and meant, and where it came from.

Sure, Len does --- and SHOULD --- call Derek (and anybody ELSE!) out when he/they go off book with their dances.

But, docking Derek and his partner THREE FREAKIN' POINTS???

To me, that's JUST as bad --- if not WORSE THAN --- CA and her Lift Police routine, and Bruno's over-the-top crits and questionable comments.

Maybe if they'd've set ground rules and rules for behavior, etc., from the get-go, and STUCK TO THEM, this show wouldn't be where it is right now in terms of ridiculousness.

I'd LOVE to see a change, BUT . . .

OTOH, it does no good to try to close the barn door after half of the horse is already out of it, either.
    Last edited by ness; 10-16-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    combatcutie and Need40winks like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

You're RIGHT, FM, and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I got a hormone-laden brain fart and got Maks' and Derek's meltdowns mixed up and mixed IN, together. Derek DID lose his mind about the judges' crit of Shannon in the confessional, after the show (and, yep, I remember her crying while he did!).

Yep, Derek pulled a Maks before MAKS ever pulled one!

Yep, in the confessional OR on the floor, Derek made himself look like a 14-carat ass that night.

Yep, he either cooled off and figured that out on his own, OR had his coat pulled about it, later on. Thus, the on-stage apologies during the following week's show/crits.

Nope, I don't EVER recall Derek going off like that again --- on the floor OR in the confessional --- after that one meltdown.

So, yep, I think Derek learned his lesson from that and THAT'S why he laughs or just lets it roll and says NOTHING (or pretty MUCH nothing!) when they take him apart onstage, now.

1. He's gonna do what he's gonna do, ANYWAY.

And . . .

2. When he keeps his mouth SHUT in front of the cameras, HE knows that HE doesn't wind up looking like the idiot, but THEY sure do!

God alone only KNOWS what he says behind his closed front door, of course!

But I sure as HELL have NEVER seen Derek go off on or about them and their antics in front of ANY camera lens, SINCE THEN!

And yep, Maks famously blew up at 'em, right at the scene of their crime, on the floor, during their crits when he felt they'd dissed Hope (?) unfairly (and, IIRC, now, it was THIS donnybrook that CA got pissed at and jumped in on!).

Matter of fact, I even seem to recall Maks saying to Hope (?) in the confessional AFTER the on-the-floor dust-up: "Don't ever say I don't have your back!"

Nope, I don't think MAKS did himself any favors with that, either. Even though I know and understand that he got pissed when he felt they were laying into Hope (?) unfairly, and felt he needed to stand up for and protect her.

And, to me, now that you've clarified when and WHERE Derek lost his mind, frankly, MHO is that DEREK'S blowup was WORSE than MAKS', in a way, because Maks DID at least go after them RIGHT TO THEIR FACES.

The next time Derek and Shannon stood before the judges after he'd lost his mind in the confessional, Derek DID shamefacedly and (I thought, at least!) SINCERELY apologize to the judges onstage, during the show, and they graciously accepted his apologies.

Maks, OTOH?

Far as I know as of the time I'm typing this, he has YET to apologize. Matter of fact, I seem to recall reading/hearing/seeing stories to the effect that even his FATHER said he should apologize, and his response (at least THUS far!) was --- and IS:

"I grew up in a country where you couldn't speak your mind. Here, you can DO that without fear. So I DO!"

OK.

Two wrongs DON'T make a right.

But, I DO have to admit that I understood and can understand what MAKS said and meant, and where it came from.

Sure, Len does --- and SHOULD --- call Derek (and anybody ELSE!) out when he/they go off book with their dances.

But, docking Derek and his partner THREE FREAKIN' POINTS???

To me, that's JUST as bad --- if not WORSE THAN --- CA and her Lift Police routine, and Bruno's over-the-top crits and questionable comments.

Maybe if they'd've set ground rules and rules for behavior, etc., from the get-go, and STUCK TO THEM, this show wouldn't be where it is right now in terms of ridiculousness.

I'd LOVE to see a change, BUT . . .

OTOH, it does no good to try to close the barn door after half of the horse is already out of it, either.

Maks:

There you have it....

(1) That is probably the way it looks to someone who comes from a formerly Communist country.

(2) That is also probably the way it looks to someone with a artistic temperament who feels like he is dead right.

Note that I am not saying that is particularly the way to behave in the situation, but as I recall Maks did get jabbed at a few times before he exploded, so when he did I don't know what anyone else - certainly not of the judges - expected to finally happen when it did.

It was going to hit the fan, and I sure didn't want to be in front of it when it did.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread