+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Amber Riley & Derek Hough - Season 17

FORT Fogey

Re: Amber Riley & Derek Hough - Season 17

SUCKS - I couldn't believe that a freestyle was not judged as it was supposed to be a Jive! I want Derek GONE, though I like Amber...it is NOT Derek and the other stars...
    combatcutie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think Len was right; that was not a foxtrot though it was a lovely dance. Derek has been using this show for years to help establish and grow his career as a choreographer. I don't blame him for that. He's an excellent choreographer so why not use this venue. I don't know why they haven't yet used him on So You Think You Can Dance. If Hollywood was still making musicals as they used, he'd be perfect for that.

He knows he is well liked and those who worship at the altar of Derek will keep his partners around even if he does break the rules. Derek always gets viable partners, but he knows how to teach them and make the most of their talents, just as Cheryl does.

I'd like it much better if stuck to the rules of ballroom, but I don't blame him for trying to make the most of the opportunities this show has given him.
    To be fair, while Cheryl does try to make the most of her partners' talents (I think they all do--why wouldn't they?), she's gotten some less than viable partners in the past, like Tom DeLay and Wayne Newton. She wasn't going to get anywhere near the finals with partners like that, no matter what she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    To be fair, while Cheryl does try to make the most of her partners' talents (I think they all do--why wouldn't they?), she's gotten some less than viable partners in the past, like Tom DeLay and Wayne Newton. She wasn't going to get anywhere near the finals with partners like that, no matter what she did.
    I agree and that's why I keep talking about a level playing field. Derek is the only pro I can think of that has never gotten a real dud. Some get them from time to time, others get them frequently. It's pretty much why I stopped voting several seasons ago and now I just watch for the dance.
    combatcutie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I always read Derek gets the skinny girls that have danced before. Amber is a pretty large girl and chose singing over dancing .Amber is not the ringer this season He makes her look good because he is so good- he is also a good teacher.

I am betting if someone else got Amber, she wouldn't be doing as well as she is
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 10-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Need40winks likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I always read Derek gets the skinny girls that have danced before. Amber is a pretty large girl and chose singing over dancing .Amber is not the ringer this season He makes her look good because he is so good- he is also a good teacher.

I am betting if someone else got Amber, she wouldn't be doing as well as she is
    For a long time the producers tried to make it appear that the stars were simply assigned to pros; however, a few seasons ago, it began to come out that some of the stars requested ( and got) certain pros. It is not a stretch to me to believe that in order to secure certain stars, they are guaranteed certain pros if that is the demand as well.

Now, I don't know if Amber asked for Derek - for that matter if any of the rest of them did either, but it is most certainly a possibility. That is something we haven't considered in this ongoing discussion about Derek. Has he been requested by Amber or any of the stars that he has worked with and even more done so well with?

Amber is on a very popular show right now, and they probably considered her a likely draw for younger viewers. It would work well all the way around for DWTS for Amber do well and to stay on the show as long as possible. Fanny has a good point. Amber has star charisma, pazzaz, and stage presence out the wazoo, but she is a large girl, and some of those dances are just flat hard for a large girl to do as well or as easily as it would be for slimmer girls.

Yes, Derek has won too many times....yes, Derek likes to choreograph unique ( and sometimes fascinating, fabulous) routines that stray outside the boundaries of the standard dance which irritates the teetotaling out of everybody with Len at the head of the line, but who better than Derek to be able to take Amber's abilities - and her limitations - and choreograph a routine that showcases Amber to the hilt?
    This is why I think Derek was given Amber this season ( plus, she just may have requested him as well - I am sure at least some of her castmates were aware of him and may have suggested that to her).
    Need40winks and ilja like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

I am sure the stars ask for certain pros. Elizabeth asked for Val. Bill Nye was asked who he would like as a partner, so I am sure many , if not all of Derek's partners asked for him, and who can blame them.

Amber lights up when she is dancing, my eyes were on her, which is what most pros would like/love to accomplish
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 10-15-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    -Andy Rooney-

Skinny girls all the time?

IIRC, Derek was also partnered with Ricki Lake.

She CERTAINLY wasn't as healthy on DWTS with Derek as she used to be when she first really came on the scene in "Hairspray" (at about 200-some-odd lbs and 5'4", I think?!). But then again, I wouldn't say she defined the term "skinny girl" or "model-thin" when she danced with him, either.

Derek, as usual, worked his magic with her. A season win? No. BUT . . . IIRC, they finished 3rd overall (Not TOO shabby!), so he REALLY got some good stuff out of her. I STILL remember their AT to the "Psycho" theme. It was --- and STILL is! --- one of my all-time favorite performances on DWTS. And frankly, I can't imagine Derek doing THAT particular number with anybody BUT Ricki, what they did is so burned into my mind.

Derek is BEYOND gifted as a dancer, choreographer, and performer. So, I'd have to agree that there is a LOT of validity to what FM said about Amber not possibly doing as well with anybody else as she is with Derek. As deep and compassionate as Tris is, though, I think it could be reasonably argued that she'd do well with him, too. Or, after seeing him with Z and how he tapped into her youth that had to be handled so delicately (after being initially disappointed and thrown for a loop about how very young she was), Val.

Having said that . . .

Much as I revere him for his obvious skills, Derek gets on my LAST good nerve when he INTENTIONALLY decides to "go off book", so to speak, and present Foxtrots that aren't REALLY Foxtrots, Quicksteps that aren't REALLY Quicksteps, and so on.

I also have to say that I think there is a LOT of validity to what Acooker said in last night's show thread:

"I agree with Len penalizing Derek when he goes with those off the reservation dances. I wish the others would do the same thing. I think it's unfair to the competition, and is part of the reason (along with being gifted with great partners) that Derek has been in the finals so often. If a dance style doesn't suit his partner, he just ignores the dance style and does something fun under the banner of that dance. If that's okay,why have styles of dance at all? Just give each team a song and let them make up any old dance they want."

Yep, I LOVE seeing Len tear Derek --- as much as I admittedly LOVE his "off the reservation" (THANKS, A!) dances! --- a new one when he does a dance that's pretty much COMPLETELY not what was called for, and goes out onto the stage with it under the name of what WAS called for.

Fair is fair.

OTOH . . .

Len REALLY dinged Derek for that non-Quickstep he did with Nicole (6), and he REALLY dinged him last night for that non-Foxtrot with Amber (7). Frankly, I don't think either of those low scores was necessary EITHER TIME, given that Len had NO problem crawling Derek up one side and down the other, and making his distaste WELL-known BEFORE the scores were called for.

I have to wonder just WHY Len hasn't YET figured out that if Derek wants to take an assigned dance to other worlds and places, HE'S GOING TO DO IT. And NO amount of Len's yelling, bitching, sharp statements, etc., are going to stop him, if that's what he chooses to do? And that Len scoring Derek down into the basement is NOT going to make Derek blink a ONE of his blonde eyelashes in consternation?

OR most likely NOT stop him and whoever his partner happens to be from at LEAST ending up in the F4, usually.

Fair, it AIN'T.

But apparently, that's JUST how it T-I-Z TIZ, when it comes to Derek.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Len and Derek have a mutual understanding. He didn't argue or backchat Len when Len gave him a 7.Len marks Derek as he sees fit , and it brings on a lot of cheering for Len. That why I posted, if CA judges the lifts, why don't the other judges?? There is never a set rule for this fluffy show . But we tune in week after week- so something must draw us to it. I tune into see the dancing, and mostly to watch Derek, and if I like someone else along the way, that's a bonus for me
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Len and Derek have a mutual understanding. He didn't argue or backchat Len when Len gave him a 7.Len marks Derek as he sees fit , and it brings on a lot of cheering for Len. That why I posted, if CA judges the lifts, why don't the other judges?? There is never a set rule for this fluffy show . But we tune in week after week- so something must draw us to it. I tune into see the dancing, and mostly to watch Derek, and if I like someone else along the way, that's a bonus for me
    Carrie Ann marks off 1 point for a lift. Len marks off 3 points for his annoyances with Derek.

You're right - it doesn't do Len any good if getting to Derek is his intention. Len does it any way and then seems perturbed when Derek doesn't spit back, and the studio audio boos him. I think the studio audience might have been a little less counter reactive if Len had taken off 2 points which would have made the scores 10, 9, and 8, but by giving Derek a 7 instead of an 8, it became clear that he was scoring Derek with his own personal preference (low score) rather than with just a penalty (1 or 2 points) for not sticking with the assigned dance. The 7 glares - much like Carrie Ann's lifts - whereas a point or 2 might not. Len then looks worse to the studio audience - he becomes the bad guy - worse than Derek who didn't stick to the dance does.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread