+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Re: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Eek. If that's what you took from Ask Elizabeth then perhaps you need to be a bit more thorough with your research. There's some really great stuff that Elizabeth does with young girls. Perhaps this article will give you more information (girls ask questions about confidence, trust, love, divorce, and loved ones being diagnosed with breast cancer).

Elizabeth Berkley: Ask Elizabeth: What's Your Daughter Thinking?

Her book also has four and a half out of five stars on Amazon and is praised in the comments section by teachers, mothers, and other celebrities like Jennifer Garner, Hayden Panettiere, Janet Jackson, and Cameron Diaz.

Ask Elizabeth: Real Answers to Everything You Secretly Wanted to Ask AboutLove, Friends, YourBody... and Life in General: Elizabeth Berkley: Amazon.com: Books

I wonder what the likes of Corbin, Bill, Amber, etc. are doing with their fame.

LOL.I honestly don't care that much, her website looked so young as if a really young person had it.As for the others, I guess google would say what they do with their so called fame. She's( Liz) a lot older than say Amber, Amber is working on her career, that Liz once had. Oh well, its just a fluffy show

Btw the links supplied all seem to be from 2011, its nearly 2014 .Is there anything recent?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I am also saddened by the disdain for Elizabeth. For me, she is the best dancer of the female contestants. I think part of it may be that she is quite a bit taller than Val, who is one of the taller male dancers, but not as tall as Maks. Ballroom always looks better when the man is taller than the woman. Tony is also one of the taller dancers, I believe. But, I think they gave Elizabeth to Val rather than Tony is that Val has more interesting choreography for a very good dancer. That's not to say that I don't like Tony because I do. But, after both Zendaya and Elizabeth, I'd like to see Val next season with a good dancer who is not as tall as he.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    The hate for Elizabeth is saddening. Of course she made a choice to do Showgirls. While most of us have made bad choices before and dusted ourselves off, we have not been humiliated and personally attacked in front of the world. It's easy to say we would have gotten right back on the horse if we were in her shoes since we're conveniently sitting behind a computer knowing full well we never will be in her shoes. It's not like she had a breakdown and hibernated in a cave in the woods like you all make it sound either. She sucked it up, continued acting, and had a part a year later in The First Wives Club. I'm sure public backlash was not easy though as she was only 21 years old. Many young Hollywood celebrities have turned to drugs and alcohol for much less. I commend Elizabeth for working past that hard time for her and turning the lessons learned from her own journey into a self-esteem workshop for young girls known as Ask Elizabeth. I personally find her inspiring.
    I don't get the sense that anyone has that strong of a dislike for her nor have I heard anyone insinuate that she had a breakdown and hibernated. Many of us (myself included) weren't even familiar with her before seeing her on this show When I saw her on Ellen last week, I didn't like that she played the sympathy card again; her tears just felt so contrived. That aside, when she and Val danced for Ellen, it just wasn't that good! Certainly nowhere near perfect. I hope she's having fun and enjoying her experience, but I don't see her as a standout dance competitor.
    NCLurker, mesachick and Jaceegirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    I don't get the sense that anyone has that strong of a dislike for her nor have I heard anyone insinuate that she had a breakdown and hibernated. Many of us (myself included) weren't even familiar with her before seeing her on this show When I saw her on Ellen last week, I didn't like that she played the sympathy card again; her tears just felt so contrived. That aside, when she and Val danced for Ellen, it just wasn't that good! Certainly nowhere near perfect. I hope she's having fun and enjoying her experience, but I don't see her as a standout dance competitor.
    Well said!! I saw her on Ellen and the disconnect between these two was even stronger. She wriggled around a la showgirls on Ellen, very little dancing but again, she isn't my cuppa tea. I think her last name has taken her a long way ( jmho)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    I was mainly responding to the conversation with mesachick where she said Elizabeth waited for 18 years to find a window and she "crawled away" (as if she became a feral child that was afraid of Hollywood even though she resumed acting soon after Showgirls). I do find it interesting about the sympathy card comment because let's be real, everyone plays the sympathy card on this show. It's par for the course. We have Jack talking about MS, Leah having no dance experience (so tragic!) and her break from Scientology, Corbin's sister having Scoliosis, Amber having to choose between singing and dancing (even though she does both on Glee). Everyone on this show talks about personal struggles but when Elizabeth does it, "how dare she! Let's find all of the holes in her stories! Those tears aren't real!" I just find it kind of pathetic. Hate her dancing all you want (that is what the show is about after all), but I wish people were as quick to be a little empathetic as they are to criticize her.
    combatcutie, Florimel and GabbyG like this.

In all fairness, I'm not sure that some of those stories would come out, if it weren't for the fact that this competition involves performing a meaningful dance (a/k/a Tear Jerker Night). It's like grasping at straws in a lot of cases.

I guess in my mind there is a difference between a lifelong sentence like MS than something that hurt your feelings years and years ago. I'm sorry she's let it define her, rather than letting it go. I'd rather see her count her blessings and just be a happy camper.
    Last edited by Baby's Breath; 10-29-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    NCLurker and Jaceegirl like this.

Of the ones I mentioned, Corbin's was the only one solely shown during Tear Jerker Night. One of Jack's first comments when he walked in the door was about MS. Leah talked about Scientology for like 3 weeks straight. They all talk about their own stories to connect with the audience. If you're going to chastise one for doing it, chastise all of them. What's good for one is good for all.

I think we lose some of the validity of the show when we start comparing sob stories. Jack has talked about MS, Valerie about cancer, and Leah about Scientology because those are personal struggles relevant to THEM. Elizabeth's personal stories are relevant to HER. Is her Showgirls struggle as bad as Jack's MS struggle? Probably not. But is Jack's MS struggle as bad as Valerie being told she has a few months to live? No. So should he just get over it and count his blessings too?

In the Ellen interview, she was asked the question by Ellen. What is she supposed to do? Not answer it? If she "let Showgirls define her", she would not have continued acting and she would not have said yes to this show. But why does it even matter anyways? Why do people feel like they need to criticize someone else's personal struggle? Let them heal on their own time in their own way. I would hope that if you were struggling with something, people would be more supportive and empathetic instead of critical.
    combatcutie, Florimel and GabbyG like this.

The thread is closing for awhile so everyone can calm down.

Poor Elizabeth has become the beaten dead horse of this season and she is getting more whacks than in a mob war. Whether you support her or don't support her, let her rest in peace for the time being.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I felt bad for Val that Elizabeth wanted to change the song after he had already done their choreography. In the end, she was the one who paid the price.
    ilja likes this.

+ Reply to Thread