+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Re: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

What a great Blog from Val, so supportive of Elizabeth. That announcement from Tom Bergeron about a woman possibly going home affected performances. I hope the producers think about that for the future

'DWTS' pro Val Chmerkovskiy doesn't think it was 'necessary' for show to worry the women - TODAY.com
    GabbyG likes this.

That was a good blog and I have always liked Val and Maks. I also liked Tony's comment in rehearsal that he is a ballroom champion, not a contemporary dancer. I think it's an unfair burden on the older pros who have been doing ballroom for years to have to make that adjustment. It's akin to asking them to do ballet.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    That was a good blog and I have always liked Val and Maks. I also liked Tony's comment in rehearsal that he is a ballroom champion, not a contemporary dancer. I think it's an unfair burden on the older pros who have been doing ballroom for years to have to make that adjustment. It's akin to asking them to do ballet.

Tony has done contemporary before hasn't he? seemed like a strange comment to make. He didn't like the announcement that a female will go home either( not sure any of them liked that) it was silly way to start the show
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Tony has done contemporary before hasn't he? seemed like a strange comment to make. He didn't like the announcement that a female will go home either( not sure any of them liked that) it was silly way to start the show
    Tony and Melissa did the contemporary that was fairly high on that pedestal which was not without some controversy and criticism; however, it was enough to get them through to the win. Sill, though, that doesn't mean that Tony is at all comfortable with the idea of choreographing contemporay routines.
    Also, although I really liked Karina and Corbin's contemporary, we saw Karina's very anxious reaction and heard her comments concerning her first contemporary choreography. Tom held her hand and indicated she was literally shaking.
    They don't all take to contemporary like Mark and Derek have.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Tony and Melissa did the contemporary that was fairly high on that pedestal which was not without some controversy and criticism; however, it was enough to get them through to the win. Sill, though, that doesn't mean that Tony is at all comfortable with the idea of choreographing contemporary routines.
    Also, although I really liked Karina and Corbin's contemporary, we saw Karina's very anxious reaction and heard her comments concerning her first contemporary choreography. Tom held her hand and indicated she was literally shaking.
    They don't all take to contemporary like Mark and Derek have.
    Val likes contemporary as well, I guess if they don't take to it, they might be replaced if they are not comfortable. Tony said that he had never done it before, not that he was uncomfortable. Mark was actually nervous btw- I think that is a normal feeing, Karina's was wonderful
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Val likes contemporary as well, I guess if they don't take to it, they might be replaced if they are not comfortable. Tony said that he had never done it before, not that he was uncomfortable. Mark was actually nervous btw- I think that is a normal feeing, Karina's was wonderful
    I can't see them replacing Tony unless he really pulls a boner - not Tony who was given Kate and for the major part cajoled her along with grace -only losing it once - until it was time for her to go. Tony has been a kind of Tristan through the seasons in his own way. I think if they had a problem with the dancing with Tony, they would go to him in private - or even more so - I think they would have one of the pros he relates well to talk with him and brainstorm suggestions.

All of the pros are capable of doing the different kinds of dances even if they aren't trained in them. We have seen this when a new genre has been thrown at them out of the blue. They just have to go on the internet and start watching clips or find dancers in town who do those kinds of dances that they can go see. That maybe doesn't mean, though, the pros are happy about it which is what I think most likely described Tony. He sounds like he is implying he is out of his element with contemporary.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Tony's strong suit is latin technique. The rest is on the job training. However, he has done some beautiful lyrical dances with Julianne in the past, he's an awesome lifter, and his finale freestyle with Melissa was pretty much contemporary. I think contemporary is a very different animal for his partner if she's not used to ballet or lifts. I think he's falling a bit on his sword here. He may not be the choreographer of a Val or Derek, but he's held his own in the past with the right partner. But I understand why he's not completely comfortable. Tristan MacManus has also talked about his reservation with Contemporary dances and he feels contemporary pros should be brought in to choreograph. Did Tony have that option? Pros have had help in the past.

Team Chmerkley's SBTB jive has over 200,000 views on y-tube in less than 2 days. I hope it translates into votes.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.

Congratulations to Val on the Launch of his new fashion line, Valentin. Last night a lot of familiar faces came out to the launch party, including his dance partner and her husband.

Photos: Celebrities attend a Valentin Clothing Line... | Contactmusic.com
    MountainBreeze likes this.

I don't like Contemporary either. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to have any set recognizable moves. I don't like that.
    I like the traditional dances that have recognizable moves better. That way we can compare styles & abilities, instead of having them just going for the entertainment value & flash.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Contemporary and jazz, like ballet and tap, are dances performed for entertainment, while the other dances that we see are for couples, whether professional or just regular people who go dancing and what I look for in this show. There are other venues much more suited to performance dancing.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread