+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Re: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    You know, Val may think this is a good start. We really don't know exactly what goes on in the minds of the pros. Even though we long for Tristan to get someone who can go the distance - or a long way, Tristan though appears to get great personal satisfaction out of the tremendous loving, supportive role he has taken on as a pro on this show. Goodness knows, we love and appreciate him!
    Yes, you are right. WE want Tristan to have a contender, he seems very happy with whomever he dances with. This time he really appreciated his partner and it showed each week they were on.
    combatcutie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Somebody above said that the two seem like a forced connection...I was trying to put my finger on what I did not like about the two of them...and that is it. They are overly physical with each other after the dance ( which I never like) and it just seems like they are each playing a role of "look how much we like each other".
    Jaceegirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Somebody above said that the two seem like a forced connection...I was trying to put my finger on what I did not like about the two of them...and that is it. They are overly physical with each other after the dance ( which I never like) and it just seems like they are each playing a role of "look how much we like each other".
    Yes, this!!! A few of us have said this from the start, they cannot fool the viewers or force something that isn't there.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Even professional dancers fall out of their pirouttees, that's not a big crime, especially when it was Jessie Spano doing her thing. Regardless, yes, 20 years of being out of performing contemporary/jazz dancing. If you ever watched Mary Murphy or Nigel Lithgoe or Mia Michaels perform their specialities, it's rusty. They are icons of the dance world, and yet it's not easy to go up against 24 year olds who are currently dancing for a living. I give 41 year old Elizabeth huge props for wanting to get back in shape and rekindle her passion for dancing. And girlfriend is doing it really well. Mainly what I see is Val loving the ride. It's a different partnership than what he's had with others. He doesn't need to mentor Elizabeth or showmance her. His Lamborghini delivered big time. Not a lot of actors go back to a show they did 20 years ago and cheez it up for tv, they've got too much ego for that, but when the smart ones do the result is spectacular. They're in on the fun with the audience. Val was super pumped for the SBTB routine and has posted the trending video.
    I didn't say it was a crime, I was describing what happened during the dance that night and the reasons why I thought it wasn't that great of a dance. It wasn't just the pirouttees. It was also the other things I mentioned earlier. I have said before I think she is a good dancer, but this dance fell flat for me and it may be because of all the hype and the fact I have never seen SBTB so didn't have the memories that the people who did watch it did. I don't think my opinion of this particular dance varies from what other people thought of it (except for the SBTB) part.

When you mention Mary Murphy (age 55) being rusty (using her since she is more noted for ballroom) - she is not spending the hours of practice that Elizabeth and Val do before performing their next dance. Elizabeth is an actress as well performing in films and several television shows as well as movies made for television, so to get into character for a role she once did years ago should not be a stretch for any actor (not just Elizabeth). Elizabeth met her current husband in a dance class in 2000 so that tells me she continued her love for dance - at least enough to take classes for her own personal enjoyment which I think is great.

I am not the only one who doesn't see a connection between Val and Elizabeth. I read the same thing on several other sites and for me the show went out of it's way this week to make sure we saw a connection. It makes me wonder why they did that. Again, it's just my opinion, but I still didn't see it because it never appears spontaneous to me. Maybe it helped others see it and if it did then that's good. Because I still don't see it doesn't make me right and others who do wrong. Again, it's just my opinion and I agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Guess we were posting at the same time, but you will see by my above post I was the one who said it was a forced connection. I called it that up thread, and I know some others feel as I do as well. What you posted is a "perfect description" of a forced connection.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 10-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Val with a 17 year old girl and Val with a woman in her 40s? are two very different combinations. With Zan Val was a very proper, cautious of her age instructor and mentor who Zan saw as a teacher and "big brother." Val appears to me to see Elizabeth as a partner - no more, no less. There is not the romance element as there was with the daytime star, there is not the careful mentor approach there was with Zan, there is not the sometimes exasperated approach there was at times with the ex-Italian model he had very early on who struggled a lot.
    Val seems to be enjoying himself this season with a partner who is more on a bit of an equal plane. No, she can not dance anywhere near to his ability, but she an adult, she does have some dance background, she does have some potential and ability, and she isn't difficult to work with in rehearsals that we have seen in the edit.

It has occurred to me that most of the pros are content if they get a star that is at least easy to work with and has some potential. A little experience is viewed as a plus.

That is it in a nutshell. All the showmances in the world aren't going to turn mediocrity into good dancing. To expect a dance partnership to be anything more than that is weak minded. I don't see anything different with this partnership than I do with anyone else on the show this season, except for maybe the pushing of a showmance between Brant and Peta. But that's just to get Brant who is an unknown, noticed.

My favorite part of this partnership is the interviews afterwards, especially when Val was asked about Baby Sky and how Elizabeth mentioned how much he bonded with Val. It's so cute, at one point the kid is sitting on the floor, he doesn't walk yet, but he turns himself around 360, after he sees Val doing a spin. She says she doesn't just hand her baby over, she "checks in with him" to see if it's right and there was no hesitation. Val says he just loves kids and would love to be a father one day. That kind of refreshing banter was great, everyone who fangirls about Val melts and Elizabeth gets on with learning to dance. And often her husband artist designer Greg Lauren is right there in the rehearsal studio taking gorgeous photos, he took some beautiful ones this season.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 10-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Florimel and MountainBreeze like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    Guess we were posting at the same time, but you will see by my previous post I was the one who said it was a forced connection. I know some others feel as I do as well. What you posted is a "perfect description" of a forced connection.
    If it we were a few that noticed it, I would wonder . But on other forums the same thing has been said. I don't like the show itself forcing EB on us, she obviously is in need of votes. Meh! I know the judges will keep her around, but her and Christina were interchangeable for me .
    -Andy Rooney-

There's a lot of reaching to look for a reason not to like Val and Elizabeth. For me they are the most watchable team this season. In fact, last week after they did their Argentine Tango I was happy enough to just change the channel, nobody really besides this team and Jack interests me. This week I had to wait to see them since Jack went early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I didn't say it was a crime, I was describing what happened during the dance that night and the reasons why I thought it wasn't that great of a dance. It wasn't just the pirouttees. It was also the other things I mentioned earlier. I have said before I think she is a good dancer, but this dance fell flat for me and it may be because of all the hype and the fact I have never seen SBTB so didn't have the memories that the people who did watch it did. I don't think my opinion of this particular dance varies from what other people thought of it (except for the SBTB) part.

When you mention Mary Murphy (age 55) being rusty (using her since she is more noted for ballroom) - she is not spending the hours of practice that Elizabeth and Val do before performing their next dance. Elizabeth is an actress as well performing in films and several television shows as well as movies made for television, so to get into character for a role she once did years ago should not be a stretch for any actor (not just Elizabeth). Elizabeth met her current husband in a dance class in 2000 so that tells me she continued her love for dance - at least enough to take classes for her own personal enjoyment which I think is great.

I am not the only one who doesn't see a connection between Val and Elizabeth. I read the same thing on several other sites and for me the show went out of it's way this week to make sure we saw a connection. It makes me wonder why they did that. Again, it's just my opinion, but I still didn't see it because it never appears spontaneous to me. Maybe it helped others see it and if it did then that's good. Because I still don't see it doesn't make me right and others who do wrong. Again, it's just my opinion and I agree to disagree.

Umm, Mary Murphy continues to teach Ballroom, at age 55, imagine that so yes she's practicing her craft with every lesson. Mia of course teaches, and even Nigel keeps up his hoofing. I didn't mention anything about Elizabeth's acting ability, it was about performing a pirouette and even pros fall out of it so I thought it was a little nit picky on Carrie Ann's part, especially when Corbin was very shakey executing a contemporary lift earlier this season, and given his pedigree he should have nailed it. But whatever. Elizabeth is continuing to get kudos for the SBTB routine, and the voters are what keeps dancers alive. On the websites that I visit that's what I'm hearing, lots of praise for Elizabeth and Val's routine.

I don't see the connection between them either. I saw more connection between Val and her baby than her. That was really sweet. I like Val and have liked him the last couple of seasons. (I'm not sure I'm allowed to say this on here without starting a riot, but I like him tons better than Max who I don't really care for - ) I'm just not seeing it this year. Obviously Elizabeth is the difference in the equation. She's not as personable IMO and that's what some people are seeing. She's seems perfectly nice, but that's all I see. Her dancing doesn't move me. She's good at dancing, but I don't feel an emotional connection with her. I don't think that's Val's fault as I generally like his choreography.
    NCLurker, ilja and Jaceegirl like this.

+ Reply to Thread