+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Re: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 17

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Being happy with scores is one thing - Val is a natural competitor. Enjoying your partner can be something completely different. I guess some people just have that natural charisma about them, and Elizabeth just doesn't seem to exude that very well and instead she's coming across as a bit nutters. I personally didn't think the routine was worth the 9's they gave. She seems very heavy in her legs. I love Val though. I think he choreography is amazing.
    Yes she is looking like she is nuts. I don't understand it. I even posted after they danced that Val looked good. EB did not look good, she has bandy legs, and they flail around. As posted technically it was good, but not 3 9's good- passion and likability, there was none.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

The notion that Elizabeth didn't dance well is not supported by the judges or any of the pros who have watched and commented on her performance.Certainly her fans and many others have taken notice of this performance as one of the best if not the best of the night. Elizabeth and Val trending on twitter and comments of fantastic and 10 10 10 were very much in evidence.
    I'm not sure why having a little zany fun, that not only Val and Elizabeth did, but Val had fun with Amber with stare downs later would be of such concern as to assume Elizabeth is insane. I doubt very much that America's secondary schools would invite an insane person to facilitate self esteem worshops for over 50,000 and counting teenage girls. Perhaps an insane person could write a book, but it would be a stretch to become a NY times best seller. But that's just me.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 10-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Florimel likes this.

I still throw most of my votes to this pair, although I'm starting to wobble a little bit. I was all "oh yay, love this pairing" in the beginning, but starting to falter a bit. She's a great dancer, no doubt, but the pairing is appearing somewhat "joyless" to me , for lack of a better word.

I have to disagree with you about her being Val's best partner, though, EC. To me, that's Zendaya, hands down. Not only for her talent, his choreography and what he taught her; but for what they both brought to the audience and each other with their partnership. Fun, joy and awesome dancing. Never have I enjoyed Val's choreo more or seen him more animated and happy. He outdid himself last season. I just don't get that this season, though I understand each partnership is different and Elizabeth and Zendaya are at very different places in their lives. Still... There is just something missing for me.

Elizabeth seems like a wonderful person and props to her for facing her fears and being a role model to the youngins. The chemistry between them seemed better this week and I hope it continues.

FORT Fogey

Of course Val and Zendaya had fun, they have a lot in common, similar taste in music, he performing hip hop etc. Kobe Bryant hero worship, Thats great.

But what I'm talking about is strength in dancing. Zendaya for all her wonderful assets was not strong in her core, Val noted it and mentioned it in a rehearsal package.

For instance, Zendaya's Paso Doble, while an incredibily difficult routine to perform, and certainly no other contestant that season could have done it, (only the very top females, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, Mel B, Kristi Yamaguchi would be strong) however, she had a bit of softness in the arms and through the core that contrasted with Val's intense spanish line.

I think with Elizabeth you're going to see a matching of intensity and line. We saw brilliant intensity with the Argentine Tango, and I see a really strong Paso moving forward.

I see your point about the core strength, but where I think Zendaya is stronger than Liz is in the performance aspect. She really sold her performances and drew me in. Elizabeth, on the other hand, doesn't engage me the same way. I might have to rewatch her performances again to really get it, but I don't have the "want" to do that. With Z, I could do it immediately. Maybe it's their differet personalities, maybe I'm still way too stuck on season 16 (which would probably be true), maybe it's the new format... I dunno, I'm just kinda over it this season.

Far and away, Kelly Monaco has been my favorite partner for Val. They were sensational together.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Far and away, Kelly Monaco has been my favorite partner for Val. They were sensational together.
    They were pretty good, I agree. I think she overdid the romance part, or showmance. But she knew how to sell it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yeah her day job slipped in a lot.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I hear ya Fanny. I thought they were good together too, but were trying to way oversell the fake romantic relationship between them. You can't fake chemistry - it's either there or not, and it's easy to tell the difference
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MountainBreeze View Post
    I see your point about the core strength, but where I think Zendaya is stronger than Liz is in the performance aspect. She really sold her performances and drew me in. Elizabeth, on the other hand, doesn't engage me the same way. I might have to rewatch her performances again to really get it, but I don't have the "want" to do that. With Z, I could do it immediately. Maybe it's their differet personalities, maybe I'm still way too stuck on season 16 (which would probably be true), maybe it's the new format... I dunno, I'm just kinda over it this season.
    Zendaya is a natural, there's no denying she loves to be on stage where she shines and she shone from the beginning of her season. Truly inspirational for young girls. Kelly Monaco, I loved her as well, I thought she was amazing and unlike her competition sold the romance and the sizzle, which was exciting, some thought it was overdone, but I don't pay much attention to the pre-packaged videos the show wants you to believe, and she laid down exquisite performances in the Paso and the Rumba particularly.

Elizabeth was like Zendaya at one time until a career ending role that involved dance when she was just 21. She's since done smaller roles, a Woody Allen film, etc. but dancing was something she thought she could never go back to, so for me, her re-discovery of performance is what is fascinating, how with the last dance she was able to let go and really put everything into it with no hesitation, no longer a conservative student, but a real partner. She's no longer what people thought she might be, a hesitant Jennie Garth or a forgetful Chynna Phillips, because dancing is in her soul she's got her groove back and she's just a dancing machine out there. I can't wait to see their next dance from her Favorite year.

+ Reply to Thread