+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

The point of the show, for me anyway, is seeing people challenge themselves as they compete against one another. If they have prior dancing experience, then they challenge themselves to do dances they've never learned. If they have stage fright, they take a deep breath and get out there and perform in front of a live audience and millions of TV viewers. If they have MS, they make the most out of their body's limitations, and try their utmost best.

To say that it was painful to watch Valerie, and that it spoiled your entertainment, offends my sensibilities. She had as much right to be there as Cloris Leachman or any of the other older woman who have done this show! What was so painful to see? They weren't showing clips of her getting her medication. They weren't showing her brushing her hair with tears in her eyes as clumps came out. She never asked for anyone's sympathy - she shied away from that! And she never asked to be the face of this awful disease. Her reason for being there was so she could "Carry on!" And kudos to her for that!

Fanny, I see you were posting while I was posting. I totally agree with everything you said.
    Florimel, ness and Fanny Mare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    The point of the show, for me anyway, is seeing people challenge themselves as they compete against one another. If they have prior dancing experience, then they challenge themselves to do dances they've never learned. If they have stage fright, they take a deep breath and get out there and perform in front of a live audience and millions of TV viewers. If they have MS, they make the most out of their body's limitations, and try their utmost best.

To say that it was painful to watch Valerie, and that it spoiled your entertainment, offends my sensibilities. She had as much right to be there as Cloris Leachman or any of the other older woman who have done this show! What was so painful to see? They weren't showing clips of her getting her medication. They weren't showing her brushing her hair with tears in her eyes as clumps came out. She never asked for anyone's sympathy - she shied away from that! And she never asked to be the face of this awful disease. Her reason for being there was so she could "Carry on!" And kudos to her for that!

Fanny, I see you were posting while I was posting. I totally agree with everything you said.
    I guess we are on the same page, or the same thread
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post

I never once said it spoiled my entertainment. Sure she has a right to be there, just like any other B or C or D list *star*.

Unlike Jack however, it was painfully clear that Valerie was not up to dancing. Like I said before, she barely moved, forgot a lot of the choreography, and just basically looked lost. In rehearsal we heard about all her aches and pains due to her cancer. Jack is NOT milking his disease whatsoever. It barely gets a mention. Plus he doesn't look pallid and ill like Valerie did during rehearsals. This is a show about dancing, not a show about battling a terminal illness. Valerie was much more about the cancer than she ever was about the dancing. I also don't believe for a Hollywood minute that she was just there to *carry on*. As for sympathy - of course she got sympathy votes. Think of how the judges looked at her with their sad sympathy filled eyes as they *critiqued* her.

I don't know why my reaction would offend your sensibilities. It was painful to watch her barely be able to get through a rehearsal. I am not sure how anyone could have watched it and not felt bad for her. That was part of the whole package.

Anyway - I am glad she doesn't have to put her body through anymore taxing rehearsals. I hope she manages to keep her cancer at bay for as long as she can.

Now lets get Tristan a good partner next year! I bet his choreography will be as equally wonderful as his warm and loving personality.
    NCLurker and EnglishCadbury like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I absolutely agree with Baby's Breath and Fanny. I lost my husband at age 33 to leukemia and my mother to cancer when she was in her sixties. I applaud Valerie and what she's doing. If it happened to me, I doubt I could do it. If because of her fame she can inspire anyone with any serious illness to live as she is living, then I think she's doing a world of good.. I for Valerie. Same holds true for such as Patrick Swayze and Jerry Orbach.
    ness and Baby's Breath like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I wonder if he doesn't do better with older ladies, after the Pam Anderson debacle, (hardly a granny-) he seems happier with Val and what she bought into his life
    -Andy Rooney-

He certainly seems to be ok knowing that he isn't going to be on the season for very long, or get much of a shot at that mirror ball lol. I think Tristan is a really stand up guy. I am sure he is happy with any partner he gets, but I'd bet he'd be really happy getting someone that can last longer than a few weeks as well. Just look at how crazy happy Tony was when he finally won the mirror ball, after being given a majority of older women as partners during his seasons. Tristan is the new Tony for now it seems.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    He certainly seems to be ok knowing that he isn't going to be on the season for very long, or get much of a shot at that mirror ball lol. I think Tristan is a really stand up guy. I am sure he is happy with any partner he gets, but I'd bet he'd be really happy getting someone that can last longer than a few weeks as well. Just look at how crazy happy Tony was when he finally won the mirror ball, after being given a majority of older women as partners during his seasons. Tristan is the new Tony for now it seems.
    I think he is happy to dance, or, as he said in an interview, that he has work. I wish him well next season, and also Valerie for her bravery this season .
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I wish him well too, and also the millions of people out there with cancer who are brave every single day as they fight to be here.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think Tristan is just one of life's happy people, and he makes me happy watching and listening to him. It brightens my evening to have seen an evening of Tristan with his sunny outlook and Irish lilt!

I am awfully sorry that Valerie is going through this, and I am truly sorry for everyone who has suffered with a loved one.
    No, a celebrity's suffering is no more important than anyone else's; however, because celebrities are well-known, they usually have better platforms in which to often bring meaningful recognition to their diseases or afflictions. Cases in point are Valerie's brain cancer, Jack's MS, or even Angelina Jolie's recent double mastectomy which she could have kept quiet but chose instead to go public in order to help educate other women who might possibly be in the same situation.
    Florimel and Baby's Breath like this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I never once said it spoiled my entertainment.
    You said, "I watch the show for fun, not to watch someone struggle with a terminal illness," and later, "I still prefer to skip it on shows that are supposed to be fun, light and entertaining - like Dancing with the Stars."

The reason that you have upset my sensibilities is that you are portraying her as a woman who went on the show to draw attention to herself, as if she's more special/stronger/courageous than those we all love who have gone through similar circumstances. She did not go on the show for that purpose. She went on the show because her husband encouraged her to keep on living. Abiding by his wish, she set an example of hope. Go back to the beginning of this thread and read how Valerie's appearance gave Cootie's friend inspiration. Painful to watch? No. Touching? Yes, absolutely.
    Florimel, ness, Fanny Mare and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread