+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

FORT Fogey

Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

I don't have terminal cancer, but that doesn't mean that I don't applaud in the most heartfelt way those who fight the valiant fight, and if they have the chance to be on a tv show and want to do it, I will applaud them that much more - I don't care if they played Rhoda or Susie Homemaker in real life.

Just like J. R. was representative of all of our wounded and disfigured war veterans who have come home and are still a welcomed, contributing part of our society, Valerie represents all of those who look bravely into the face of cancer and fight it with inner strength and dignity. In doing so, she has provided inspiration for not only other cancer sufferers and their loved ones, but many of the rest of us as well.
    Florimel, ness, ilja and 2 others like this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I don't have terminal cancer, but that doesn't mean that I don't applaud in the most heartfelt way those who fight the valiant fight, and if they have the chance to be on a tv show and want to do it, I will applaud them that much more - I don't care if they played Rhoda or Susie Homemaker in real life.

Just like J. R. was representative of all of our wounded and disfigured war veterans who have come home and are still a welcomed, contributing part of our society, Valerie represents all of those who look bravely into the face of cancer and fight it with inner strength and dignity. In doing so, she has provided inspiration for not only other cancer sufferers and their loved ones, but many of the rest of us as well.
    Well said Bloomers, well said
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I agree and applaud her for her battle against cancer. I still found it uncomfortable watching her try to dance each week when it was so very clear that it was painful for her to do so. I watch the show for fun, not to watch someone struggle with a terminal illness. But that's just me.
    Shoepie and EnglishCadbury like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I agree and applaud her for her battle against cancer. I still found it uncomfortable watching her try to dance each week when it was so very clear that it was painful for her to do so. I watch the show for fun, not to watch someone struggle with a terminal illness. But that's just me.
    I thought I was going to cry every week. It was just tearing me up, but that didn't make her cancer go away just because I was struggling with it. If she was brave enough to struggle through all those rehearsals and try to dance in front of millions of people, then I could pull myself up and send strong thoughts, wishes, prayers (or whatever you choose to call it) her way.

My hope now is that not only Valerie but other cancer patients know how much the rest of us are thinking of them during this difficult time in their lives.

I watched my Dad die from cancer - that was enough suffering for me to have to watch for a lifetime. I still prefer to skip it on shows that are supposed to be fun, light and entertaining - like Dancing with the Stars. I don't need to see it on my tv screen to understand what cancer patients (and their families) are going through.

Regardless, I sure hope they give Tristan someone with some staying power next season. He is such a lovely man, he deserves a healthy, younger partner for once!
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

I watched my Dad die from cancer - that was enough suffering for me to have to watch for a lifetime. I still prefer to skip it on shows that are supposed to be fun, light and entertaining - like Dancing with the Stars. I don't need to see it on my tv screen to understand what cancer patients (and their families) are going through.

Regardless, I sure hope they give Tristan someone with some staying power next season. He is such a lovely man, he deserves a healthy, younger partner for once!
    I am so sorry about your Dad, and I agree about Tristan. I too hope he can have somebody young next time - hopefully someone with good potential.

FORT Fogey

I could not agree with you more. I watched my mother and dearest person in my life (aunt) die from cancer. None of us get out of here aliive. Valerie is 74, she has has had a long stint. Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I could not agree with you more. I watched my mother and dearest person in my life (aunt) die with cancer. None of us get out of here aliive. Valerie is 74, she has has had a long stint. Enough.
    I am going to live until I am 94, that's a good stint! I only hope I can dance like her at 74!
    Florimel likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I am close to her age and can dance. Not a big deal, really. I am tired of the adjectives: courage, brave, figter, grace, lovely, majestic............blah blahblah.

Come on! She is famous and that is why many are ao gah gah. Thousands die of cancer daily. Who is she? Ohhhhhhhh, yes, an actress so that makes it more poignant. No, no it does not. I have lost 4 loved ones to cancer. Because they were not on a sitcom they got very little recognition. Enough wiith the valiant Valerie. I am not sucked it. I have witnessed how it goes when you do not have Hollywood behind you. You made your money and your life, Val, deal with it like the rest of us do. Done, so done. Oh and hurray for you. Jesus.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am close to her age and can dance. Not a big deal, really. I am tired of the adjectives: courage, brave, figter, grace, lovely, majestic............blah blahblah.

Come on! She is famous and that is why many are gah gah. Thousands die of cancer daily. Who is she? Ohhhhhhhh, yes, an actress so that makes it more poignant. No, no it does not. I have lost 4 loved ones to cancer. Because they were not on a sitcom they got very little recognition.
    With all due respect. If you didn't enjoy Val, why not FF her, or mute her.( I have done that before) I think she has been brave to do this, she wants to take what life she has left and dance. Good for her. I don't think she is any better than those you have loved and lost, or braver than my father who was taken at 69. But heck if she dances on this show and she has terminal cancer, those adjectives are bound to be used

I say more power to her. Same goes with Jack -many people have MS, and yet we see him bring attention to it, by dancing and enjoying his life
    Florimel, ness, justCoz and 3 others like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread