+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

I was happy to see Valerie Harper as part of the cast before I read all of this. While I do feel for the same pros never getting a chance at the mirror ball, I do believe what others have said above that Tristan will be blessed for showing the love and patience that he shows all of his not-a-chance partners.

I am proud of Valerie for doing this even though it's not going to be easy and even though she knows she has no chance at the trophy. That was why I was first pleased to hear this because to me, her dancing is saying I'm not slinking away in shame but going out dancing up a storm.

Now that I've read both articles, I'm even more proud of Tristan for his character and integrity that I already knew he had but still it's inspiring to see.

The fact of the matter is that Valeria aka Rhoda is the only star on the show that I've heard of. Well, I think I might have heard of snookie but I did not realize that is who it was when I read the list.

Both of my parents died of cancer about 15 years younger than Valerie is now. I figure if I follow suit, then I've only got about 4 years left (though I certainly hope I don't). All that being said is that Valerie deciding to do this honors my parents in my eyes and I would like to go out like her, dancing up a storm. Now if I could just get out of this chair.
    ness, Coco46 and Baby's Breath like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

I was just happy to see them both on Katie( thanks BB) I didn't know they were on. She has gained a little weight, that seems to be her worry !!! and she cant wear skimpy costumes, gotta love her attitude and humor .
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    I was happy to see Valerie Harper as part of the cast before I read all of this. While I do feel for the same pros never getting a chance at the mirror ball, I do believe what others have said above that Tristan will be blessed for showing the love and patience that he shows all of his not-a-chance partners.

I am proud of Valerie for doing this even though it's not going to be easy and even though she knows she has no chance at the trophy. That was why I was first pleased to hear this because to me, her dancing is saying I'm not slinking away in shame but going out dancing up a storm.

Now that I've read both articles, I'm even more proud of Tristan for his character and integrity that I already knew he had but still it's inspiring to see.

The fact of the matter is that Valeria aka Rhoda is the only star on the show that I've heard of. Well, I think I might have heard of snookie but I did not realize that is who it was when I read the list.

Both of my parents died of cancer about 15 years younger than Valerie is now. I figure if I follow suit, then I've only got about 4 years left (though I certainly hope I don't). All that being said is that Valerie deciding to do this honors my parents in my eyes and I would like to go out like her, dancing up a storm. Now if I could just get out of this chair.
    Gotcha.

I'm pulling for Val and Tris just as hard as I'm pulling for Jack and Cheryl.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I give her a lot of credit for doing this while she is sick. I absolutely loved how Tristan show cased her and how he didn't turn his back on the show. I do wish they would give him someone his own age next time. She is so inspiring
    Coco46 and jucamer like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

My wish for the show is that they'd give her the dignity of allowing her to compete and enjoy it. They covered the cancer diagnosis last night. Now it's done, and they should let he enjoy the experience. If Carrie Ann brings up how inspirational she is each week, I'm sure it will be sincere - but it's also a constant reminder to her and to the world and will risk coming across as "she's nothing but a cancer patient - vote for her because she has cancer". As Tristan said in his response to that blogger, Valerie was asked to do the show before she was ever diagnosed. She is on the show because of her career and accomplishments. She may have said yes because the cancer made her feel more free to take the risk, but she is WAY more than that. I'm sure they won't mention Glee every week that the Glee girl dances, and I'm sure they won't mention getting naked in a movie every week that the Saved by the Bell girl dances. So they need to let Valerie be Valerie, and not "Valerie-Harper-who-has-cancer". Also, regarding the talk about some pros always getting older women with less of a chance, and others getting ringers -- I think a reason for that is that producers want some sort of love-story-rumors storyline to go on during the season. There are some pros who are young, good looking, and willing to have their personal lives dissected for public entertainment - Derek, Val, Maks, and Mark. There are others who for a variety of reasons such as being married, being gay, or being private, will not allow themselves to be put in the love twist set up. It may be that someone like Tony or Tristan puts a higher value on marriage and/or privacy than they do on winning a mirror ball trophy that they most likely have to give back anyway.
    combatcutie, ness and Cootie like this.

Valerie has said herself, that she wants to be treated like everyone else. I saw that from Len, he said, well we have to get on with business and he critiqued her - that's what she wants
    Florimel and ness like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Valerie has said herself, that she wants to be treated like everyone else. I saw that from Len, he said, well we have to get on with business and he critiqued her - that's what she wants
    Yes, he did.

And I clapped when he said that.

We ALL KNOW what her situation is.

Just like with Jack and Marlee, it's been dealt with, straight on, on the first night.

Obviously, the facts are not going to go away, but now, like Len said:

"Let's get down to business."

After all, business or not, I'm pretty sure there're some of us that'll probably be crying as she performs, anyway (ness raises hand), so the show can let that go, now.

WONDERFUL POST, Acooker!!!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I usually know about the ones with former dance training, but I did not know that Valerie had been in Radio City corps de ballet in her teen years. It's a long time ago, but the body does have muscle memory and I hope some of her former training is still with her. I loved her talent before she was diagnosed and I still do.
    Cootie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

According to her autobiography, I, Rhoda, she also danced in the choruses of Broadway shows, such as Lil' Abner. She was a favorite of choreographer Michael Kidd, in fact.

My first response the Valerie's performance was, "She's 73?" Wow, she was very good! A good friend of mine, who loves loves loves to dance, let me know today that she has cancer. I shared Valerie's story and her desire to dance. They both are in my thoughts. Go Valerie!
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread