+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

I don't see how touching and painful to watch has to be mutually exclusive. It doesn't. I stand by my feelings. I watch the show for fun. If I wanted to watch someone very apparently struggling with a terminal illness (which I don't as I've had enough of that experience personally), I can find a Lifetime movie to watch. No I am not portraying her as a woman who went on the show just to draw attention to herself. Certainly it was part of the reason, just like it is for all of the contestants that come on this show. I also have never once said she is more special/stronger/courageous etc than anyone else. That's pretty much exactly my point... she's not. She is going through something that millions of people face on a daily basis. She is however, getting that label by being on this show.

What I have said is that I don't like to watch someone suffer, which she was clearly doing during her rehearsals. Sure it's touching that she felt the need to prove herself I guess. But to me, and to others as well, it was painful to watch her struggle. I am not sure why there is such a conflict with that. That means I was sympathetic to her struggle, regardless of whether I wanted to have to be privy to it or not.

Touching? Sure. Painful to watch? For me, yes, absolutely.

All I have done is express how I felt watching Valerie struggle - it's really not anyone's position to try to tell me how I should feel. My mind certainly won't change lol. I say, stick a fork in this topic - its done.
    jucamer likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    All I have done is express how I felt watching Valerie struggle - it's really not anyone's position to try to tell me how I should feel. My mind certainly won't change lol. I say, stick a fork in this topic - its done.
    The only reason I responded was to show you where you said it spoiled your entertainment and to answer your query as to why comments you and Shoepie have made have offended my sensibilities.
    ----------------

So now that Valerie is no longer competing, I hope we'll still see her in the audience! and I hope she and Tristan will have fun preparing for the finale. I thought she did quite beautifully in her opening number, so maybe that's what they'll practice. Wasn't she wearing a gorgeous cobalt blue? Not sure on that, but I do remember her looking joyful.

ilja, said two things earlier that really connect with me: "I'm even more proud of Tristan for his character and integrity that I already knew he had but still it's inspiring to see," and "Valerie deciding to do this honors my parents in my eyes and I would like to go out like her, dancing up a storm. Now if I could just get out of this chair."
    Florimel and AlwaysVeg like this.

I keep repeating myself here... I never once said that it spoiled my entertainment of the show. I have a FF button, used it where I felt warranted and have enjoyed the show just fine.

BTW - Valerie just did an interview with E! in which she said leaving the show has been a blessing in disguise, alluding to how her body wasn't up to the task of the show. Guess she agrees with me - it was time to give her body a break (something I did say)

I keep repeating myself here... I never once said that it spoiled my entertainment of the show. I have a FF button, used it where I felt warranted and have enjoyed the show just fine.

BTW - Valerie just did an interview with E! in which she said leaving the show has been a blessing in disguise, alluding to how her body wasn't up to the task of the show. Guess she agrees with me - it was time to give her body a break (something I did say)

I am glad she listened to her body, she said she knew her knees were bad. She is going to be in the audience though- I think no matter how we feel about indivuals, the DWTS *stars* each season - they become like a family cheering one another on.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I say, stick a fork in this topic - its done.
    If you feel this way, you are free to stop visiting this thread. Others still want to contribute, and will keep doing so.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    If you feel this way, you are free to stop visiting this thread. Others still want to contribute, and will keep doing so.
    I was not talking about discussing Valerie - I was talking only about having to continually defend my feelings about it that's all... I was not at all inferring that anyone needs to stop talking about the lovely Ms. Harper. Sorry you mistook my words for something that I did not actually mean. I would NEVER tell someone to stop discussing a celebrity on these forums. 1) it's against the rules and 2) it's rude!
    Last edited by mesachick; 10-10-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    NCLurker likes this.

I didn't make you defend your feelings, mesachick. I just said how I felt when I read how you and Shoepie felt.

Valerie didn't seem to be struggling or suffering, from my point of view. I only thought she seemed sore and tired like nearly anyone her age would be. Her attitude was fantastic. Out on the floor, it did seem that her memory would slip, but there's no way to know if that was age, or something else.

After 'DWTS' boot, Valerie Harper reveals: I have no cancer symptoms - TODAY.com
    Florimel likes this.

Well I can testify about age and memory, as a matter of fact . . .

What thread are we in?
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    I didn't make you defend your feelings, mesachick. I just said how I felt when I read how you and Shoepie felt.

Valerie didn't seem to be struggling or suffering, from my point of view. I only thought she seemed sore and tired like nearly anyone her age would be. Her attitude was fantastic. Out on the floor, it did seem that her memory would slip, but there's no way to know if that was age, or something else.

After 'DWTS' boot, Valerie Harper reveals: I have no cancer symptoms - TODAY.com
    NP Baby's Breath - its all good. I still think she was struggling and in pain from what they showed from the rehearsal packages. I did like her attitude for sure. I loved Tristan's as well. He was amazing with her.
    NCLurker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post

What a great link!! I am so happy for her. I know her knees were hurting( badly) All I know, is that I am so I am glad she did this show. I am gld she was with Tristan, and for me it was truly one of the best pairings to date.

From Jack...in the link BB. Im sad about her leaving, Jack Osbourne said. I like Valerie a lot. Shes got this air of positivity. You just enjoy being around her. Now, Ive lost my lunch buddy.

Says it all really.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread