+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Lowest rated season ever. People are just tired of the Derek Hough show, 3 spot light dances and yet another win, bores people to tears. The celebrities just were not that star power draw that's needed. Possibly if Dorothy Hamill stayed on the ratings might have been better.
    Not surprisingly the Highest rated season ever was Season 12 with Hines Ward and Kirsty Alley, huge fanbases in Steeler Nation and Alley's following. And NO Derek Hough.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.

This doesn't surprise me one bit that it was the lowest rated finale ever. I watch The Voice and the fact that it was opposite DWTS and obviously a very popular show I expected that to be one of the reasons for less viewers. I watch DWTS from my DVR when it is convenient for me. Another thought is that with the voting problem I wonder if some people who were use to voting all season a certain way and were not able to vote that same way on performance night just figured they were not interested.

I think I lost interest half way through, I made sure I always watched Derek and Kellie. Some of the die hard fans I know gave up completely. If it wasn't for Derek and Kellie, I wouldn't have bothered with the show either ..While a good dancer I tired of Zendaya, - it just seemed it was geared to the very young. Young ones that didn't watch this show. Maks wasn't there, so no Maks fans.

I think this show- like AI needs an overhaul, but if they lose their core fans, they wont get them back
    Photobabe likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    **** BTW, Critical, you ROCK! ****

The move by Derek to do a stripped-down, no-frills freestyle that showcased Kellie's amazing physical abilities and Derek's choreography skills is what got them the win, I think.

Strategy. If Derek plays chess at all, I bet he's one HELL of a chess player.

Plus, Kellie could execute what Derek created, and he KNEW she'd be able to.
    They went in a totally different direction from what might've been expected of them. Same as with Donald and Peta. Like DONALD said: "The LAST thing anybody'd be expecting ME to do would be a COUNTRY freestyle!" And Peta was smart enough to see the genius in what Donald said, and they ran with his idea.

And they blew up the ballroom, and won.

Just like Kellie and Derek.

Again: CONGRATULATIONS TO THEM!!!

Maybe future DWTS finalists should take note, huh?
    Less is more ness, less is more.so maybe future finalists should take note !!!
    -Andy Rooney-

Okay, I've got one bugaboo that I've just got to get off my chest. All this praise for Derek creating a routine of pure dance and no extra fluff is nice. However let's not forget that prior to that dance, the complaint about Derek all season had been that he had been doing just the opposite. That's why there were so many people who, even though they admired Kellie's skills, weren't convinced she was really that great of a dancer since we did not get to see her simply dance most of the time. She had a lot of dances where she was posing and she had a lot of smoke and the like in her routines.

I guess that's part of why I liked Zendaya so much. While she never had a routine and could not have a routine like Kellie and Derek's freestyle due to her age and the inappropriateness of that style with Val, her freestyle did show many of the different dance styles she had learned throughout the season. While she was not a dance virgin, she did not know all the different styles prior to the show and that's part of why I was so proud of her accomplishments.

Mind you I did make the mistake that I usually know not to make and that is to make my decision based mostly on dance skill. That is not who American votes for and usually that's me as well. I guess I just liked Zendaya personally too. Though I did finally learn to like Kellie personally as well.

I hope they both have a great life. I'm not that worried about Kellie since she already seems to have her priorities straight but with Zen being so young, I do fear for her future especially in the crazy world of entertainment with it's superficial values.
    ness and MsDiva2007 like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

FORT Fogey

Ack, the show favors Derek Hough, that's it in a nutshell. If anyone else did such a stripped down dance for their Freestyle the judges would have said, "Well we loved it, it was emotional, but it wasn't "Supersized" And they won't score the points. Even Tony and Melissa's dance last season was careful to include extra performers in it so the spirit of what the show asked for was kept. It wasn't the "oh Derek is genius" narrative by suddenly realizing that what Val had been doing all season long in showing ballroom and latin in a pure form actually resonated. But if Kellie actually did Ballroom and Latin in a pure form, it definitely would not have been as successful. So he went with what she does best. Nothing wrong with it, except I prefer when the pros actually include what a student has learned over the season. It's also interesting that Zendaya and Val got hip hop in week 9, certainly no one else could do this style, so it was theirs, whether or not they would have liked to have reserved it for the freestyle, it was not going to be anything new for the viewer to see as a finale dance.

So it doesn't matter, Derek Hough continues on his merry way while others have to cowtow to whatever rules the show puts up. That's the narrative of this show, and that's favortism, and Anna has said it, the show favors Derek in the choice of partners, and this year certainly in Derek's never ending self indulgent quest for an Emmy. I'd be curious if anyone else has got a personal family friend the way Derek got Kellie this season. He will never get a celebrity that won't at least make top 6. He'll never get a performer more than 20lbs over weight, it mostly quite the opposite, he gets the ones who are the most camera friendly, and he'll always get his way. Not only is that massively unfair to the other pros, it becomes the "sameness" that people expect and tune out, despite what the show tries to do to make it more enjoyable.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Okay, I've got one bugaboo that I've just got to get off my chest. All this praise for Derek creating a routine of pure dance and no extra fluff is nice. However let's not forget that prior to that dance, the complaint about Derek all season had been that he had been doing just the opposite. That's why there were so many people who, even though they admired Kellie's skills, weren't convinced she was really that great of a dancer since we did not get to see her simply dance most of the time. She had a lot of dances where she was posing and she had a lot of smoke and the like in her routines.

I guess that's part of why I liked Zendaya so much. While she never had a routine and could not have a routine like Kellie and Derek's freestyle due to her age and the inappropriateness of that style with Val, her freestyle did show many of the different dance styles she had learned throughout the season. While she was not a dance virgin, she did not know all the different styles prior to the show and that's part of why I was so proud of her accomplishments.

Mind you I did make the mistake that I usually know not to make and that is to make my decision based mostly on dance skill. That is not who American votes for and usually that's me as well. I guess I just liked Zendaya personally too. Though I did finally learn to like Kellie personally as well.

I hope they both have a great life. I'm not that worried about Kellie since she already seems to have her priorities straight but with Zen being so young, I do fear for her future especially in the crazy world of entertainment with it's superficial values.

WELL SAID!

Sure, Derek won it for them by GOING IN THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE OTHER THREE, WHEN IT COUNTED.

And God bless him AND Kellie. I think she's a wonderful dancer, but, yep, I also think your points about Derek previously going overboard with the choreo, the posing, the fog machine, etc., are dead on target, and valid, too.

All that being said, I still grew very fond of --- and LIKE --- Kellie, and am glad she won (I can listen to her TALK for HOURS! LOL!)

Z still has me in her corner, too, rooting for her. She's one heck of a lady, talented as all get out, and to all appearances, a really sweet person who hasn't let her status, fame, whatever, go to her head.

Said it before and will touch on it again: Derek is the penultimate pro and nobody's fool. IF Z and V had done a routine like his and Kellie's, EVEN WITH THE VOTING BLOWUP, it's MHO that Z and V are more than likely to have pulled out the win.

But, as you so clearly, logically and commonsensically pointed out, there was no way in HELL that TPTB were going to allow Z to do a routine in the ballpark/on the level of Kellie and Derek's. No. WAY. I mean, c'mon, she wasn't even allowed to do a Rhumba all season, IIRC. Shawn was, and she was 17 at the time. No. WAY were they going to not only PUSH the envelope, but burn it altogether by having Z --- AT 16! --- put a Rhumba out there on the floor with Val.

I loved Z and V's "Greatest Hits" freestyle, and Val did what he had to do to keep her age-appropriate, while still showing off her newfound ballroom dancing talents and prowess.

He couldn't've done anything else, if he was REALLY going to do right by her AND himself. He ALWAYS had my respect for his dancing ability. But now, because of this season, he has shot himself clear into the heavens in my estimation and shines even more brightly because of how he handled having Z for a partner. Despite his initial disappointment and misgivings about that. AND his amazing choreo skills, which had previously been overlooked because of his being Maks' brother and a hot sex bomb, to boot, were seen and showcased to their best in having to deal with one so young as a dancing partner, I think.

As I believe I've pointed out before, Z's Big Day is still on its way. She wasn't --- in hindsight --- meant to win this, any more than JHud was meant to win HER season of AI, OR Kellie was meant to win HERS (IIRC).

And I've found that I can live with that outcome.
    Last edited by ness; 05-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    MsDiva2007 and ilja like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

And God bless him AND Kellie. I think she's a wonderful dancer, but, yep, I also think your points about Derek previously going overboard with the choreo, the posing, the fog machine, etc., are dead on target, and valid, too.
    So, if he goes overboard he is wrong and if he doesn't he is wrong The MacDonald's super sized freeestyle were a real let down, boring & crowed . UGH!

Kellie nearly quit the show before it started, her hubby talked her into it. I am so so so glad, I would have missed that fantastic , brilliant freestyle that just about everyone loved, unless they were eating sour grapes at the time

on Derek and Kellie you won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Andy Rooney-

I didn't feel it was that great and I was not mad with the outcome. I truthfully did not like any of the freestyles. I am betting though if anyone other than Derek decided to non super size their dance cranky Len would have reared his ugly head.

The truth is the light and the light must shine!
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I didn't think Mark and Ali did a super-sized one. The others were too crowded & messy -and hid all their flaws
    Need40winks likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I thought that Mark and Allie's freestyle was very beautiful, and the judges said that it was incredibly difficult to synchronize that type of routine. It was fun to watch and was my second favorite after Kellie's dance. Jacoby's was a fun, party scene, but Zendaya's was pretty boring to me. I thought it was her worst dance. I guess she got second place because of her performances on the whole show, because based on that alone, there was no way she deserved it.

+ Reply to Thread