+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Look, I ended up being one of Zendaya's biggest fans but I do not believe for a second that her loss had to do with the color of her skin. I can remember seeing shots of her parents and at different times I was surprised she had either a white or a black parent. I just did not see her color when I looked at Zendaya so I never thought of her as either black or white. I just thought she was adorable and could dance like there was no tomorrow. I loved her innocence in this day and age of promiscuity and loved how much respect Val showed toward her and how much she showed toward him.

Apparently I was wrong about her level of support but that does not diminish her talent in any way, IMNSHO. She lost to a sweetheart who could also dance and who had Derek as a partner. So what! She still came in 2nd and did so well she has nothing to be ashamed of.

I have this terrible habit of not blaming racism every time someone happens to be non-100% white and they do not get everything they wanted. As far as I know, no one gets everything they want every day. Well not counting me of course. Hmmmm, maybe that's why I think like I do. I'm not 100% anything . . . physically anyhow.
    You are precious - last place and all - you are one of us, and each one of us counts! We all have different points of view, they certainly don't always jive ( no pun intented, or maybe so whichever you like ), but each point of view is just as important as the next and gets the same amount of consideration as far as I am concerned. I may not buy into that point of view, but I will certainly try to consider it.

BTW, we all have our strengths ( and weaknesses), and I like your optimism.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Well, this has been a blast and all, but I'm late for my 'Let's Make Sure Anyone But A Black Woman Wins Dancing With The Stars Club' meeting. We have a big celebration planned to honor another successful year, and I don't want to miss any of the festivities. So, until next season...
    Florimel, ness, indy1945 and 5 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Regular

I can't believe this has turned into a race thing! It just seems so ridiculous to me. Black, White, Asian...who cares! Those words have never even crossed my mind when I watch the show and vote. Pointed feet, sharp or fluid movement, and personality are more words that I use to decide who I like and want to vote for.
    As someone said I didn't even realize or consider Zendaya was black. To me she is a pretty girl, good dancer, cute personality, and quite tall.

In a lot of ways, I think DWTS holds up a mirror to what is or isn't important to the great unwashed. Yes, Zendaya is absolutely beautiful, a tall girl and she owns it. Thank heaven for natural beauty in a sea of botox and boob jobs before they're 27 on this show. But she's also a bi-racial child and there have been disparaging remarks posted about her parents in some forums. To deny that she isn't on the receiving end of prejudice is living in denial, even on dancing with the stars. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Well, this has been a blast and all, but I'm late for my 'Let's Make Sure Anyone But A Black Woman Wins Dancing With The Stars Club' meeting. We have a big celebration planned to honor another successful year, and I don't want to miss any of the festivities. So, until next season...
    ... be sure to toast those whose glasses are half empty.
    Uncle David likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I was a huge Zendaya/Val fan by the end of this. This is amazing in itself because I've always resented the Disney Kids & wanted their quick removal. I wanted Zendaya gone too for the first few weeks. Then I started seeing her as a talented contestant & a really likeable person, not a Disney Kid. None of the others have been able to accomplish this in all the years I've been watching. The Disney Kid persona defined them to the end for me.

Unlike so many, I also just didn't think Kellie/Derek's freestyle was all that exceptional. Good & well done, yes, but exceptional, no. So many others in the past just stood out so much more for me. Maybe it's because it just wasn't "fun". Fun is big for me. I want to be grinning at the end.

In the end, I'm perfectly happy with Kellie's win. She worked hard, improved well, did wonderfully, stayed humble (also important to me), and I loved her reaction to winning. Also kudos to Derek for bringing out the best in his partner.

They got the top 2 right & either one deserved it.

As to what's been discussed above, I'm not even going to address that. Not worthy of the time.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    OMG, you mean with this birthday I crossed into the age bracket that ends with death!!??
    Well at least according to Project Runway contestants...yea.

Okay I can not believe how this thread went off on a racist tangent. I did not watch the season not because Zen is black, I honestly had no clue she was black, I didn't watch because I felt she was too young. I had those same feelings with Shawn's first season but she was an olympic level athelete so I watched. Remember she also had a stalker following her around? That is why I firmly believe DWTS needs an age limit.
    When I watch/vote I vote for who I enjoy watching & not their heritige. I voted for Nicole because I really enjoyed watching her dance even though...yea she was a ringer. I voted for Donald Driver as I did Apolo and Shawn(All Stars), Helio but nope not Donny or Marie Osmond. Not because they are Mormon...just because I am not a fan.
    I took it as an insult to think I would ever vote on skin color. I thought we moved past this issue.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Ha, none of this matters, it's interesting to get such passionate reactions. Nobody could possibly be racist! Nobody could ever question dance experience when my favorite said she didn't have any! And the DWTS board being down on the night it counted all night long on the east coast didn't affect the vote whatsoever.
    wait a second...wasn't this same thing brought up many moons ago when people could not dail in to vote for Clay but instead were voting for Rubens. Was FOX anti-gay?
    I am not picking on you EC, you loved Zen and that was your choice & I am proud of you for sticking up for her. I am sorry but I don't see color/sexuality in a contestant. I vote for who I enjoy watching.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    All right let's look real quick at great dancers:

Which Asian Women Kristi Yamaguchi and Nicole Scherzinger
    Which Black Women Mel B, and Mya

Who won and who lost? Kristi and Nicole were the uber-ringers of their seasons, but still managed to win.

Then lets look at Asian women who missed the finals. - none they both won.
    Black women who missed the finals - Lil Kym and Brandy
    Well thank you for informing me that Nicole Scherzinger is Asian -- because I didn't know that until your post made me look it up. (She was born in Honolulu to a father 'of Filipino descent' and a half-Russian, half-Hawaiian mother). All this time I thought I voted for her because I'm a Derek fan...hmph!

I'm a big fan of Margaret Cho's as well -- pity she didn't make it past Week 3 in her season, just as she was starting to improve.

I feel bad about what you've been reading about Z in those other nasty forums, but they aren't this forum.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Uncle David likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Here is the thing....this time I only went back and forth between 2 boards probably because I didn't have as much time as I have had in the past, and I was also watching American Idol at the same time.
    Nobody on this board, and nobody on the other board even mentioned the race of Zendaya or her parents. It didn't appear to be an issue on the other board either. Their comments were very similar to the comments on this board.

I know from having been on the ABC board for many years that it is full of mean, cruel, and vitrolic posters and comments. Rarely when I was on there was the board monitored, so it would not surprise me to hear any type of comment come from that board.

If that is at the bottom of this, here is what I say...."Consider the source."

Wherever you heard hurtful remarks, I am very sorry. There is simply no excuse for them; however, that board is what it is and has always been.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

+ Reply to Thread