+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    Kudos to Kellie! I have watched their freestyle over and over on YouTube. It was and is simply amazing! I stopped watching a few years back, but this year drew me back in.
    I have watched it again( and again)as well. . I have to laugh when someone says she has danced before- she has never danced like this! nevah!!!!!!!!!!

Derek taught her well, and even though I didn't think she was competitive enough, apparently she was good enough to win
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    For those who are disappointed because Val didn't win ... he came in 3rd last season ... came in 2nd this season ... so maybe he's in line to win next season.

Just by the way ... Val din't get old ladies with bunions either.
    Season one he got an girl with no rhythm and found it difficult to understand instruction due to the language barrier, and Val got the plump Black woman Sherri Shepherd his second season who went home earlier than expected. So 50% of his partners were not going to make top 6, from the get go.

And when he got Kelly Monaco, she was considered to be an early exit due to her very poor season 1 dancing compared to how the show had advanced. To get her to top 3 was a major feat in a season of champions.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    With respect, a little bit of revisionist history maybe? Helio was fun, but Mel B was a very good dancer who hit the bottom 2 very early in competiton and had to fight to get out of that inevitable early send off, so she went on to produce probably the best mambo and one of the most memorable Paso Dobles in the history of the show.
    Mel B made it to the Final 2 which, in and of itself, flies in the face of a conspiracy against black women.

My point was to why Helio ultimately bested Mel for the trophy in the final vote. And, with respect, I disagree with your assessment of both contestants. I don't believe Helio was as bad as you profess, nor was Mel B as good. Each one had their strengths and weaknesses. I know at the time I thought they were fairly equal.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

With respect, a little bit of revisionist history maybe? Helio was fun, but Mel B was a very good dancer who hit the bottom 2 very early in competiton and had to fight to get out of that inevitable early send off, so she went on to produce probably the best mambo and one of the most memorable Paso Dobles in the history of the show.

And of course everyone but the black woman was represented in the Season 15 All Star season. Rumor has it Mel B wanted to reprise her partnership with Maks based on the twitter conversations she had with Maks, but Kirstie Alley was keen to dance again and over ruled her.
    I was a Mel B fan and am one of those who felt she got robbed. I'd never thought about it being a race issue (not saying it isn't; it just hadn't occurred to me). I thought for sure she would win, since she'd been such a fantastic dancer all season long, but their freestyle wasn't very impressive. Max has historically choreographed crappy freestyles, so I just kind of blamed it on that. I'm not sure what to think as far as race being an issue, but it's interesting to consider.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Exactly! Most of us who watch this show don't know anything about the technicalities about dancing. On a show like this, everyone is already a "star," so they come on with their own ready made fan base (some bigger than others). Then they pick up other fans along the way who like them for a combination of dancing, performance, personality, whatever. If you're just going to go for the "best" technical dancer, than fire Bruno and Maryann, bring on two ballroom judges, and take the vote away from the public.

I came into the season already a fan of Kellie, but I was very impressed with her from the start. Their free style too me was better than any dance I've every seen on that show in any season. I almost felt like I was watching So You Think You Can Dance. I think the right person won, and the only thing I would have liked better was for Ally to finish 3rd. I never got Jacoby's appeal, and Ally was so much better dancer.
    I completely agree with your explanation (see first bolded) because I have always been that type of fan. Sometimes I am familiar with the celebs and other times I have never heard of them. Up until the last two seasons I watched at home and compared notes with my friends and to be honest never was a fan who really cared who the pro was. I then joined this site and a few others and imagine my surprise when I realized that the pros were very much on the same level as the celeb with a lot of people. Over the seasons I have concentrated on the celeb and if I liked them it didn't matter to me who their pro was. For me personally it is not always the best technical dancer and certainly not just the pro. That's not to say that I don't have respect for the pros because I do and consider them to be a team. The pro is responsible for the choreograph and making the celeb the dancer they turn out to be. If I like a pro it doesn't mean I am going to root for whoever they have for a partner. It's just the way I have always viewed the show and not saying those who like certain pros and root for them first and the celeb next are wrong. We all do things differently.

As an example In Season 4 I went with Apollo Ohno and Julianne Hough over Joey Fatone and boxer Laila Ali. I love Julianne and think she is an excellent pro. IMO she made Apollo a fantastic dancer. Something about Apollo grabbed my attention from the beginning. If Apollo had some other pro I still would have rooted for Apollo. In Season 5 I absolutely wanted Helio Castroneves to win and what Julianne was able to do with him was just amazing. In that case I went with personality and charm of Helio over the more expert dancer of Mel B with Max. Again, in Season 9 I wanted either Mya & Dmitry Chaplin or Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel to win over Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson. Donny may have been the most popular for many, but for me Mya was the great dancer and then Kelly came along and her journey just captivated me with how much she grew. One last example was Derrek with Jennifer Grey in Season 11. Again, my point being that for me, the celeb and whatever they have that makes me want to root for them, is about the celeb, and not who they have for a partner.

This season my two favorites were Kellie Pickler and Jacoby Jones. They were the ones that I couldn't wait to see what they were going to perform. The second bolded is where you and I differ in our opinions. lol That is just my opinion, and on this site I know many didn't care for Jacoby, but I did. We all have different favorites and obviously for different reasons. I think while Kellie was better technically and I loved her performances and her personality, yet for me Jacoby was Mr. Entertainer from the first dance. They were two very different dancers, but I loved them both for different reasons.

I totally think Kellie deserved to win, but IMO Jacoby deserved to be third. Again, that is just my opinion. I think all four dancers were very good and each deserved to be in the finals. Kellie's free style was absolutely beautiful and Derek is a fantastic choreographer. They were an excellent team. I still remember the Macy Dance in the Room he did. He deserves an Emmy for that.

If I have anything negative to say at all it would be against ABC and the fact that on the most important night of all their voting system goes down. It may not have changed a thing, but I still question why it happened. Regardless of who won I would still be saying the same thing. I have seen many comments on various sites where people who were Zandaya fans have complained very loudly and it is not fair to Kellie. I did find the reasons given about the site going down a bit vague.

I have a feeling that Kellie will not be thinking about that and will be concentrating on that adorable puppy her husband gave her. I love his suggestion for the name - Tango. Congratulations to both Kellie and Derek on their win. Very happy for the both of them. All jmho.
    Arielflies likes this.

Season one he got an girl with no rhythm and found it difficult to understand instruction due to the language barrier, and Val got the plump Black woman Sherri Shepherd his second season who went home earlier than expected. So 50% of his partners were not going to make top 6, from the get go.

And when he got Kelly Monaco, she was considered to be an early exit due to her very poor season 1 dancing compared to how the show had advanced. To get her to top 3 was a major feat in a season of champions.
    I'm not good at that numbers/percentages thing you do but looking at the list of contestants in Season 14 (Val's 2nd Season) it seems that the following 5 out of 12 were Black participants.

Sherri Shepherd / Actress-Talk Show Host / Val Chmerkovskiy / Eliminated 3rd on April 10, 2012
    Gladys Knight / Music Legend / Tristan MacManus / Eliminated 5th on April 24, 2012
    Jaleel White / Actor / Kym Johnson / Eliminated 6th on May 1, 2012
    Roshon Fegan / Disney Star / Chelsie Hightower / Eliminated 7th on May 8, 2012
    Donald Driver / NFL Star ... Winner

Of Val's 4 seasons and 4 partners 2 ... or 50% ... are black females and ... 1 or 25 % ... was a very close runner-up.

This was a great season that produced an excellent Top 4 ... which just by the way included Jacoby and Zendaya making the finals 50% black.

I have no idea how this talk of racism even started. I was trying to say something positive and encouraging about Val.

I get this feeling EC .... that if we start saying it is a beautiful sunny day you'll present skin cancer statistics.
    NCLurker, ness, indy1945 and 3 others like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I'm not good at that numbers/percentages thing you do but looking at the list of contestants in Season 14 (Val's 2nd Season) it seems that the following 5 out of 12 were Black participants.

Sherri Shepherd / Actress-Talk Show Host / Val Chmerkovskiy / Eliminated 3rd on April 10, 2012
    Gladys Knight / Music Legend / Tristan MacManus / Eliminated 5th on April 24, 2012
    Jaleel White / Actor / Kym Johnson / Eliminated 6th on May 1, 2012
    Roshon Fegan / Disney Star / Chelsie Hightower / Eliminated 7th on May 8, 2012
    Donald Driver / NFL Star ... Winner

Of Val's 4 seasons and 4 partners 2 ... or 50% ... are black females and ... 1 or 25 % ... was a very close runner-up.

This was a great season that produced an excellent Top 4 ... which just by the way included Jacoby and Zendaya making the finals 50% black.

I have no idea how this talk of racism even started. I was trying to say something positive and encouraging about Val.

I get this feeling EC .... that if we start saying it is a beautiful sunny day you'll present skin cancer statistics.

Honestly, I've been catching up reading what's on here, and I STILL cannot BELIEVE that THIS particular slant on the show even reared its ugly head for ANY reason.

WTF?
    Last edited by ness; 05-23-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    indy1945 and maude~flanders like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

As an African American woman I see no racial issues on DWTS. I am often thrown for a loop on why people dislike the people they do and reasons used for not voting for that Celebrity that has zero to do with dancing. Example the whole I don't like Jacoby because of his mom thing. I just don't get that kind of thing used as reasoning not to like someone who was a imo good dancer.

Now this whole thing with DL & how he was treated bothered me much. I still don't think it was racism involved with that either. Just Len being a jerk!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Zen is an absolutely beautiful young girl and an excellent dancer. I don't care what color she is. I don't think that has anything to do with it. She danced extremely well; however, Kellie just happened to have a slightly stronger fan base so she won the tacky mirror trophy ball.
    In my book, Zen is still a winner!
    mandmmom2 likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I will never be convinced that she has NO dance experience. What tripe!
    I'm happy for Kellie that she won.

But NO DANCE EXPERIENCE AT ALL?

Sorry.

Not buying it.
    JORY'sMom and MsDiva2007 like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread