+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think Kellie had more followers than we heard about, I have read a couple of other forums, all were very happy that Kellie won. They said the voters got it right, 1st to 4th place
    I agree. On another forum of dancers and their moms the majority liked Kellie the best and Aly second. Most having been wanting Zendaya to go for a few weeks actually.

You mean the Disney teen queen didn't win???? Miss Bunny has fainted. I didn't watch this season so I can't judge.
    I have nothing against Zen. By all accounts she is a delightful young lady. My issue is with ABC. If they continue to put younger & younger kids on this show trying to draw in a younger audience that will be a huge miscaculation on their part. Their core viewers are my age group, 40-to-dead. These younger viewers will stay around as long as their favorite is still competing then they will be gone. They won't be like us old biddies posting & facebooking while watching every Monday & Tuesday.
    I can not ever comment in a negative light where it concerns a child which clearly Zen is. 16 is just too young, for me at least.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    EC, here's the big difference I see, based on your past posts. You are looking at this as a dancer - so you are judging the dancing. Mya hands down was a better dancer. Mel B. may have been too. This has never, in 16 seasons, at its core, been a dancing contest. It has always been a popularity contest and an entertainment show. Sometimes the best dancer wins. Sometimes he or she doesn't. As soon as the fan voting becomes a part of who wins well, who is the best dancer goes out the window a bit. It really comes down to who the fans connect with. Quite frankly Donny's season - I think he could have come out for the freestyle and done the Hokey Pokey and he probably would have still won. He was just that popular and I don't really think it was about the dancing for him at all.
    Exactly! Most of us who watch this show don't know anything about the technicalities about dancing. On a show like this, everyone is already a "star," so they come on with their own ready made fan base (some bigger than others). Then they pick up other fans along the way who like them for a combination of dancing, performance, personality, whatever. If you're just going to go for the "best" technical dancer, than fire Bruno and Maryann, bring on two ballroom judges, and take the vote away from the public.

I came into the season already a fan of Kellie, but I was very impressed with her from the start. Their free style too me was better than any dance I've every seen on that show in any season. I almost felt like I was watching So You Think You Can Dance. I think the right person won, and the only thing I would have liked better was for Ally to finish 3rd. I never got Jacoby's appeal, and Ally was so much better dancer.
    alex2155 likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    40-to-dead
    Love that!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Kellie looked like a beat up, partially deflated, dusty ballon this morning on GMA....one that wasn't blown up with helium and is going down fast!

I will never be convinced that she has NO dance experience. What tripe!
    ness, Jexter, MsDiva2007 and 1 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by alex2155 View Post
    I agree. On another forum of dancers and their moms the majority liked Kellie the best and Aly second. Most having been wanting Zendaya to go for a few weeks actually.
    Many of the voters I know, loved Aly and voted for her.

I never got Jacoby's appeal, and Ally was so much better dancer.
    I felt the same way Misty8723. I often tuned in and his mother out
    maude~flanders likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    No her husband is younger. I know which one is her husband, This was an older man with a fuller face. He was crying a little ... trying to control himself on Monday when she danced. Fannymare said maybe her father? She also went at one point and said "I'm so glad to see you here. I think she might have been talking to the same man.
    Its her Grandfather.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

There have been including Zendaya 15 black women on this show.
    How many in the finals 4. Less than 30% How many won? Zero

By comparison there have been 5 Asians on this show, and 3 of them made the finals, or 60% and 100% of those who made the finals won.

So what I'm hearing is Black Women don't just have to dance better, they're not popular enough to win. Everyone from Laila Ali to Toni Braxton and from Brandy to Zendaya just aren't popular? Or maybe they don't fit the image of what the viewing audience wants to see as a winner.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    There have been including Zendaya 15 black women on this show.
    How many in the finals 4. Less than 30% How many won? Zero

By comparison there have been 5 Asians on this show, and 3 of them made the finals, or 60% and 100% of those who made the finals won.

So what I'm hearing is Black Women don't just have to dance better, they're not popular enough to win. Everyone from Laila Ali to Toni Braxton and from Brandy to Zendaya just aren't popular? Or maybe they don't fit the image of what the viewing audience wants to see as a winner.
    This is the first time I have heard anyone mention race and especially in any kind of a negative slant in connection with DWTS.

I know that on this board Mya was generally not well liked and the reason was because across the board most people felt like she was a first class ringer. We had never heard of the contestant choreographing the routine, and that went over like the proverbial lead balloon.
    However, the dislike was never mentioned in relation to her race. It was always because of her previous dance status and experience.
    Florimel and annettejt like this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I just don't agree that there is a racial angle concerning black women. You have to look at the individuals separately, and also look at who they were competing against. It's a personality-driven competition, and among the upper-tier dancers in the finals, the biggest fanbase will triumph.

Niecy Nash, Gladys Knight, Macy Gray, Toni Braxton, Wendy Williams, and Vivica A. Fox weren't good enough dancers to find out how far their fanbases could carry them. (Niecy's and Gladys' fanbases actually took them further than they probably should have gone from a dancing standpoint)

Brandy was good, but had some negative PR from her stormy partnership with Maks. Lil’ Kim was good but was competing against some of the best dancers the show had ever seen. Mya had the "ringer" stigma around her neck, and was up against Donny Osmond, someone so popular he made old people learn how to use the internet. (Someone else can fill in the blanks about why Helio beat Mel B., I wasn't as avid a viewer back then)

Every season is about who is up against who, because at some point, fans have to decide between people they like. Li'l Kim might have won in a different season; Brandy might have won with a different partner. I just don't see a formula or pattern when trying to break down the stars by race/gender.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread