+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I think both examples you provided have legitimate, non racial reasons why they didn't win. My opinion only.
    If race played a part in deciding the winner of DWTS then the issue would present itself across the board. Yet, it doesn't. In fact, more black men have won the competition than any other race of males.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I love this photo of Kellie in that unbelievable move!!!!!!!

http://media.zenfs.com/en_ca/News/Ac...ood/188551.jpg
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Uncle David and AlwaysVeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I love this photo of Kellie in that unbelievable move!!!!!!!

http://media.zenfs.com/en_ca/News/Ac...ood/188551.jpg
    That's incredible- on Kelly and Micheal - Derek thinks of it as her win. I think so as well
    NCLurker likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    If race played a part in deciding the winner of DWTS then the issue would present itself across the board. Yet, it doesn't. In fact, more black men have won the competition than any other race of males.
    Of course I was careful to say black female.

It's not a coincidence that black males are from one profession that has billions of dollars tied up in the NFL and ABC/ESPN arrangement. It's extremely important to ABC to ensure that Monday Night Football cross promotes with this kind of large invested.
    The Early Lead - Report: ESPN, NFL close to nearly $2 billion-per-year deal for 'Monday Night Football'

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm thrilled that Kellie won. She really has developed quite a talent. I hope she can continue with it as a career.

You could tell Zendaya was disappointed, but she was quite gracious.

I watched last night in pieces. I look forward to watching it straight through this weekend. Putting The Voice up against them is just crazy.
    Zendaya and Val are on Kelly & Micheal tomorrow
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I'm gutted for Zendaya and Val. Their final Instant Jive was top drawer jiving. I thought the relentless rigid on for a 16 year old to get off the show, even when a 17 year old won it just a few seasons ago was insufferable, but she soldiered on. She is my all time favorite celebrity because she was just so talented, and Val worked with her so well. Up until now she was not jaded by the machinations outside of her control. However, I was gearing up to be disappointed ever since the selections of the redemption dances.

We all have our favorites and my favorite didn't win either. But it's really not that serious! I don't think you should waste time being upset over it. Kellie, Zendaya, Aly, and Jacoby all won just by making it to the finale. They all got the same amount of exposure.
    Getting first vs second or third or fourth isn't going to change their success in their career at all. This isn't a bunch of unknowns trying to win a competition to jump start their career, like Idol or SYTYCD.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Of course I was careful to say black female.

It's not a coincidence that black males are from one profession that has billions of dollars tied up in the NFL and ABC/ESPN arrangement. It's extremely important to ABC to ensure that Monday Night Football cross promotes with this kind of large invested.
    The Early Lead - Report: ESPN, NFL close to nearly $2 billion-per-year deal for 'Monday Night Football'
    My guess is that instead of elaborate sports conspiracies and nonexistent teenage viewers Mya and Mel B simply weren't as likable as Donny and Helio.

In Zendaya's case I suspect it was just a matter of circumstances. If Kellie had performed that amazing freestyle dance two weeks ago I imagine the outcome might have been different. Unfortunately for Zendaya, Kellie's seminal dance came the night of the most important votes of the season.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Hmmm . . . I think I have to disagree with this, especially given the two examples you used (Mel B. and Mya). First Mya - Mya was probably the biggest ringer this show has ever seen. She was even shown exercising control over Dimitri and the choreography. She was not shown as a warm and fuzzy person. I was around on the boards then and she was pretty widely disliked because of her attitude and seeming sense of entitlement. On the other hand, Donny was a feel-good throwback to many people's childhood. Was Mya the better dancer? Absolutely. But as has been shown time and time again on this show - it all comes down to fanbase and this show turns into a popularity contest more often than not. I think that season was a perfect example of that.

Mel B. Ah, Mel B. I think to this day there are those who say that loss, along with Gilles' loss in season 8, are the two biggest travesties of this show. She was up against Helio and Julianne. Their chemistry was off the charts and that was the height of Julianne's popularity. In addition, Helio was a huge fan favorite with his personality, he had no dance experience and he did become a pretty good dancer. There were definitely some rumblings about Mel B. being a ringer at the time (not that I agree with it). Mel was with Maks, who was controversial even back then. I think the fans just fell in love with Helio. Nothing against Mel B., but again I think it came down to fan vote.

I can understand why you might feel that way, but I honestly have to say that thought has never crossed my mind before I read your post. I think both examples you provided have legitimate, non racial reasons why they didn't win. My opinion only.
    16 Seasons. How many Black Females on the show? Not one win, even though it's more popular to be an aging white guy, who puts on a feather boah and calls it a freestyle, or a Brazilian who couldn't jive or rumba.

However, there's a great sample of 3 White Males - Drew Donny and Helio, 4 Black males Emmitt, Hines, JR, Donald
    1 Asian Male Apolo 2 Asian Female Kristie and Nicole, 6 White Females Kelly, Brooke, Shawn, Jennifer, Kellie, Melissa and not a black woman in the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    My guess is that instead of elaborate sports conspiracies and nonexistent teenage viewers Mya and Mel B simply weren't as likable as Donny and Helio.

In Zendaya's case I suspect it was just a matter of circumstances. If Kellie had performed that amazing freestyle dance two weeks ago I imagine the outcome might have been different. Unfortunately for Zendaya, Kellie's seminal dance came the night of the most important votes of the season.
    Well said. I heard about Mya, I never saw her. I did not like Mel B and I never have. I loved Helio and I really liked Donny.
    I think Kellie had more followers than we heard about, I have read a couple of other forums, all were very happy that Kellie won. They said the voters got it right, 1st to 4th place
    -Andy Rooney-

16 Seasons. How many Black Females on the show? Not one win, even though it's more popular to be an aging white guy, who puts on a feather boah and calls it a freestyle, or a Brazilian who couldn't jive or rumba.

However, there's a great sample of 3 White Males - Drew Donny and Helio, 4 Black males Emmitt, Hines, JR, Donald
    1 Asian Male Apolo 2 Asian Female Kristie and Nicole, 6 White Females Kelly, Brooke, Shawn, Jennifer, Kellie, Melissa and not a black woman in the bunch.
    EC, here's the big difference I see, based on your past posts. You are looking at this as a dancer - so you are judging the dancing. Mya hands down was a better dancer. Mel B. may have been too. This has never, in 16 seasons, at its core, been a dancing contest. It has always been a popularity contest and an entertainment show. Sometimes the best dancer wins. Sometimes he or she doesn't. As soon as the fan voting becomes a part of who wins well, who is the best dancer goes out the window a bit. It really comes down to who the fans connect with. Quite frankly Donny's season - I think he could have come out for the freestyle and done the Hokey Pokey and he probably would have still won. He was just that popular and I don't really think it was about the dancing for him at all.
    NCLurker, ness, Misty8723 and 2 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread