+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/21 DWTS 16 Finale Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    No her husband is younger. I know which one is her husband, This was an older man with a fuller face. He was crying a little ... trying to control himself on Monday when she danced. Fannymare said maybe her father? She also went at one point and said "I'm so glad to see you here. I think she might have been talking to the same man.
    On GMA she said it was her grandfather, he hasn't missed a show, and he is the one that talked her into doing the show.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Read it was her grand dad
    Thanks MsDiva ... I had read that he prayed about it and also prayed that Derek would be her partner.

It is all wonderful and it does appear that this experience "changed" Derek ... and was very meaningful for Kellie in a bunch of ways.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    You make a interesting case! However, there is no compelling evidence that teens are even watching DWTS, let alone voting for contestants. The reality is they are more likely watching and voting for contestants on The Voice.
    Oh they are watching, we're talking about the young teenagers, not the 20 somethings that hate dwts. Today kids on twitter can't understand why Zendaya led the competition and didn't win. Moreover, they don't understand why they were defaulted to FB when they don't use that social media to vote. They were definitely a presence on twitter during the vote, they trended all night for Zendaya to get the encore.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Amusing that it comes down to the freestyle, Tony and Melissa had a hohum freestyle and won, Apolo's freestyle was not good, Joey Fatone's was far better. It's more fundamental that that. No female black contestant will ever win this show.
    I think this hails back to the memorable "Ride a Cowboy" freestyle.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    This is clearly going to be just my opinion only, but I think on a couple of those there were other factors that came into play as well.

Derek had displayed an arrogant, cocky attitude (for the 2nd time) very clearly shown during their rehearsal package about breaking the rules, and Shawn went right along with it and agreed with Derek! Now get this....did the judges get bent out of shape like Len did when he gave Derek a 7 because he didn't like the smoke, props, foos-foos and not enough straight dancing? Not on your life!! Because the 3 judges - Len included - were so in awe of Derek and Shawn's dancing, they only deducted .5 - that's right 1/2 of a point off their scores for breaking the rules.
    I think, though, that the fans rewarded always straight as an arrow Tony along with Melissa who had tried so hard all season with the win.
    Technically, even though I felt like Tony and Melissa's dance was beautiful, probably Derek and Shawn did beat them; however, Derek and Shawn cheated, and the fans penalized them. That is my opinion.

Apolo was an adored Olympic champion. Add to that he and Julianne had chemistry from here to yon which is that intangible which can't be measured.

The times they are changin' as the saying goes. If you have watched American Idol, you have seen that black people - women included, especially last week - do win the top spot.
    If DWTS gets hold of the right Black woman contestant she could easily win.

American Idol had Fantasia win years ago, so Idol is way ahead of this show. But Mel B and Mya, weren't good enough, despite some of the best dancing in the history of the show. No, they'd rather have an old relic trying to revive a dead career in Donny Osmond who had a craptastic freestyle win.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Thanks MsDiva ... I had read that he prayed about it and also prayed that Derek would be her partner.

It is all wonderful and it does appear that this experience "changed" Derek ... and was very meaningful for Kellie in a bunch of ways.
    Its nice when they both get something out of this experience other than a MBT. She was in her head more often than not- Derek was able to bring her emotions to the surface and break down walls Kellie had set up - it was all about trusting one another
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Amusing that it comes down to the freestyle, Tony and Melissa had a hohum freestyle and won, Apolo's freestyle was not good, Joey Fatone's was far better. It's more fundamental that that. No female black contestant will ever win this show.
    Hmmm . . . I think I have to disagree with this, especially given the two examples you used (Mel B. and Mya). First Mya - Mya was probably the biggest ringer this show has ever seen. She was even shown exercising control over Dimitri and the choreography. She was not shown as a warm and fuzzy person. I was around on the boards then and she was pretty widely disliked because of her attitude and seeming sense of entitlement. On the other hand, Donny was a feel-good throwback to many people's childhood. Was Mya the better dancer? Absolutely. But as has been shown time and time again on this show - it all comes down to fanbase and this show turns into a popularity contest more often than not. I think that season was a perfect example of that.

Mel B. Ah, Mel B. I think to this day there are those who say that loss, along with Gilles' loss in season 8, are the two biggest travesties of this show. She was up against Helio and Julianne. Their chemistry was off the charts and that was the height of Julianne's popularity. In addition, Helio was a huge fan favorite with his personality, he had no dance experience and he did become a pretty good dancer. There were definitely some rumblings about Mel B. being a ringer at the time (not that I agree with it). Mel was with Maks, who was controversial even back then. I think the fans just fell in love with Helio. Nothing against Mel B., but again I think it came down to fan vote.

I can understand why you might feel that way, but I honestly have to say that thought has never crossed my mind before I read your post. I think both examples you provided have legitimate, non racial reasons why they didn't win. My opinion only.
    NCLurker and Florimel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Its nice when they both get something out of this experience other than a MBT. She was in her head more often than not- Derek was able to bring her emotions to the surface and break down walls Kellie had set up - it was all about trusting one another
    She said something like that ... and in that freestyle ... where she trusted him to hold her while she was leaning forward like that was a real test. It certainly served as an illustration of trust in general and certainly the culmination of the trust that had grown between them.

It was wonderful and I was crying.

Mohandas Gandhi

Just watched the GMA show when they all redid a dance. Boy does Kellie look tired! She wasn't looking too enthusiastic lol. Loved all the dances, especially Karina and Jacoby who were having a blast even though they were way off the routine. I thought it was cute. This really was a stellar season once we reached the final 4.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I'm thrilled that Kellie won. She really has developed quite a talent. I hope she can continue with it as a career.

You could tell Zendaya was disappointed, but she was quite gracious.

I watched last night in pieces. I look forward to watching it straight through this weekend. Putting The Voice up against them is just crazy.

+ Reply to Thread