+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 5/14 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/14 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

One thing to remember: any "Disney Channel kid" enters the dance floor with a built-in stigma, thanks to people's natural cynicism toward blatant corporate cross-promotion...or as they call it, "synergy". *shudder* It's not really the kid's fault, but it's there.

Not that I personally think this way, but I think in general, the term "ringer" is used more broadly with Zendaya. It's not necessarily all about dance experience; it's about the above blessing from Corporate, and it's also about her built-in younger fanbase, who are much more savvy about the internet and social media. They're not just dialing landlines to vote, like fans of Buzz Aldrin or Cloris Leachman...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    One thing to remember: any "Disney Channel kid" enters the dance floor with a built-in stigma, thanks to people's natural cynicism toward blatant corporate cross-promotion...or as they call it, "synergy". *shudder* It's not really the kid's fault, but it's there.

Not that I personally think this way, but I think in general, the term "ringer" is used more broadly with Zendaya. It's not necessarily all about dance experience; it's about the above blessing from Corporate, and it's also about her built-in younger fanbase, who are much more savvy about the internet and social media. They're not just dialing landlines to vote, like fans of Buzz Aldrin or Cloris Leachman...
    I forget about the Disney stigma. I guess it's different than when it was Annette and Cubby or Spin and Marty.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Ringer may or not be the precise word ... but she does dance professionally and as far as I know .... the others do not. It has happened before on thois show.

And my goodness .... I am certainly not "fearful" of some child on a reality show. Please.

I just prefer to see people who start out with little or no real dancing experience ... and improve as the weeks go on.
    Ingo is a good example as is Aly and actually Jacoby too. Kellie is just a natural. Sean improved a little ... well probably enough to dance at his wedding.

Also, I think anything anyone has to say ... especially about fairness ... is of consequence.
    Just to clarify she's an actress who dances choreography, she's not a Val, who is a professional dancer. That's an important distinction. And as far as fairness goes, this show doesn't care. They never have, or else they'd never pair inexperienced with experienced dancers, but they've done it continually since season 2. So it's about your favorite, not about dance experience.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post

Corporate also gives the blessing to all those retired football players who will be future broadcasters and color commentators on ESPN, a much bigger pay-off in revenue than the Disney channel, or the country singers with their affliated record label dropping them getting them back on the show for some fan rehab, or the next gymnast who is going to represent ESPN for the Disney channel or do a boat cruise dancing with the stars post Olympic career.

FORT Fogey

ABC released what is happening next week:

DWTS Week 10 Preview: Season 16 Finale!

In the Monday’s two-hour performance show, the remaining couples will compete in three rounds of dance. In the first round, each couple will take on a new routine in a dance style that the judges would like to see again. In round two, the couples will be challenged to a Cha Cha relay, where each pair dances to a different section of the same song. In the last round -- and one of the biggest competitive dances of the season -- the couples take on a supersized freestyle featuring special effects, additional dancers and unexpected surprises.

On Tuesday, the entire celebrity cast returns, including Any Dick, Dorothy Hamill, D.L. Hughley, Wynonna Judd, Victor Ortiz, Ingo Rademacher, Sean Lowe and Lisa Vanderpump. The returning stars will perform a show-stopping opening number with the pro and troupe dancers. The show will feature music from Pitbull, who will perform his new single, “Hands Up,” and Wynonna will sing “I Want to Know What Love Is.” In addition, PSY will take to the stage with his latest hit, “Gentleman,” and Jessica Sanchez will sing her version of Pitbull’s “Feel This Moment.”

The fourth-place couple will be eliminated within the first hour of the show, and in a final element of the competition, the three remaining couples will perform a new routine in an “Instant Dance”– where they will tackle a style they know, but to music given to them for the first time live on television. This routine will be scored out of 30 and will round out the judges’ scores across both nights.

So tune in and we'll see you Monday!

It all sounds exciting, but to be honest, i HATE the instant dances. Especially when they are the last thing we see these couples dance in the season -- that's just plain wrong. They should let them all go out on a creative high and do their freestyles last, instead of watching them putter through some hastily put together routine that only half their heart is in. They really need to change this.
    justCoz, Coco46 and ilja like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I forget about the Disney stigma. I guess it's different than when it was Annette and Cubby or Spin and Marty.
    First of all, I wouldn't be confused for one moment thinking that a kid goes into a Disney audition and just does an acting audition. That kid has to also show some kind of basic ability to sing and dance as well. Those kids are all around good performers! They can sing, dance, and act. Now, they may can act better than they sing and dance, but it is a mistake to think that they don't have the basic ability to naturally dance and to pick up steps and routines with relevant ease. That was part of the audition/screening process.

That said, to me it is a given that every Disney kid - including Zen - coming into DWTS comes in with the proverbial "leg up" on the abiliity to get started learning the dances. They also have 2 other advantages going for them: they are young and (still) energetic and they have been on the set where they have been doing whatever kinds of workouts they do for their scenes, so they are more in the groove than are some of the other celebs.

Their obvious disadvantage, of course, is that their built-in audience and (pre) fanbase coming in is children and primarily young teens and maybe some older teens. Possibly some adults watch with their kids.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

The Disney Kid thing is nothing new. The show has had Disney kids since season 3. However, by comparison to all the represented groups of Singers, actors, Reality Show, Football, and Olympians Disney kids have a very poor record in terms of winning. They haven't won, they've only made the finals twice.

What is sad is I know who you are talking about! I wanted Cubby to be my boyfriend when I was 6!

Yea I pretty much have gotten over this show at this point. If ABC continues to hype their "stars" I won't care enough to watch like I didn't this season. I did surf by occasionaly and saw a dance or 2 but did not vote at all. I don't know anyone well enough to vote. I kept up on here to know the whats up but in all honesty, the zelousness of certain posters has finally turned me totally off of this show. I doubt I will be back. I felt like I was back in Clay-mania days of AI. I get you are a fan of someone...great but dang I just wouldn't care what happened or who said what in practice. Information overload.
    Congrats to whomever wins next week.
    Florimel, indy1945 and Fanny Mare like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't be confused for one moment thinking that a kid goes into a Disney audition and just does an acting audition. That kid has to also show some kind of basic ability to sing and dance as well. Those kids are all around good performers! They can sing, dance, and act. Now, they may can act better than they sing and dance, but it is a mistake to think that they don't have the basic ability to naturally dance and to pick up steps and routines with relevant ease. That was part of the audition/screening process.

That said, to me it is a given that every Disney kid - including Zen - coming into DWTS comes in with the proverbial "leg up" on the ability to get started learning the dances. They also have 2 other advantages going for them: they are young and (still) energetic and they have been on the set where they have been doing whatever kinds of workouts they do for their scenes, so they are more in the groove than are some of the other celebs.

Their obvious disadvantage, of course, is that their built-in audience and (pre) fanbase coming in is children and primarily young teens and maybe some older teens. Possibly some adults watch with their kids.
    Zen has more followers and fans( tweens) that vote and don't even watch the show- they watch hers, where she sings dances and acts She asks her fans for Hip Hop they deliver. But in her defense, football fans have been known to do the same, vote without watching the show. In the end its as you say, a rinky dink trophy. I think ABC has pimped this Disney kid more than others( and they have all been likable) good luck to the F4. I don't know If I can watch it all, I loathe the instant dance so that wont matter..and I refuse to spend two hours on Tuesday to see who wins. I will however read what my fellow FORTers have to say.I usually find that more entertaining, and also fair with their comments
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 05-17-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread