+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 5/14 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/14 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Ahhhhhh, I recognize her now. Thanks for the mention of Dance Mom's. Yay Sophia!
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

I predicted the same thing this show is sooo predictable lol

i dont know whos gonna win this season I want Jacoby to win, but i dont think he will. I think its gonna come down to Kellie or Zendaya. It would be nice to see Val win the trophy. Derek has already won 3 times
    Midol likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreid1472 View Post
    i dont know whos gonna win this season I want Jacoby to win, but i dont think he will. I think its gonna come down to Kellie or Zendaya. It would be nice to see Val win the trophy. Derek has already won 3 times
    Yes ... but winning is supposed to be for the Star and not so much the pro.

I still think Zendaya is a ringer and it really isn't right/fair to put 16-year-olds against the older ones.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

And I still marvel at how Shawn Johnson won in season 8 at 17 with all this negativity towards teeenagers.
    JORY'sMom, Florimel and ilja like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    And I still marvel at how Shawn Johnson won in season 8 at 17 with all this negativity towards teeenagers.
    The year that Shawn won, this board in my opinion was at least probably 70% Gilles, 20% Melissa and maybe 10% Shawn. It was all about Gilles. Gilles, Gilles, Gilles with another helping of Gilles.

I remember trying very hard to realistically squeeze in a little idea every now and then that 200 million people had watched Shawn win all that gold during the Summer Olympics, and probably a lot of them might well be in those millions of viewers watching DWTS on Monday night and calling in their votes for the young, fresh- faced, really innocent little girl who had become America's new sweetheart. I don't think it did any good.

Of course, we don't get to see any kind of a count of the vote. We have no idea of how the rankings are really going, so when Shawn won, it was a tremendous shock to everyone on the board. However, the truth might have been that she really had more fan votes all along the way than either one of the two "sexy" older dancers.

That is the thing here as well....we haven't seen an actual vote count. We don't know who is really in the lead - or has been in the lead - with fan votes this whole season. We don't really even know when they are "staging" the bottom 2 for effect. We think we have it figured it, but we can't swear to it, so that proves nothing either, when push comes to shove.
    Who has the most fan votes and therefore is in the lead to win? Can we really tell??
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The year that Shawn won, this board in my opinion was at least probably 70% Gilles, 20% Melissa and maybe 10% Shawn. It was all about Gilles. Gilles, Gilles, Gilles with another helping of Gilles.

I remember trying very hard to realistically squeeze in a little idea every now and then that 200 million people had watched Shawn win all that gold during the Summer Olympics, and probably a lot of them might well be in those millions of viewers watching DWTS on Monday night and calling in their votes for the young, fresh- faced, really innocent little girl who had become America's new sweetheart. I don't think it did any good.

Of course, we don't get to see any kind of a count of the vote. We have no idea of how the rankings are really going, so when Shawn won, it was a tremendous shock to everyone on the board. However, the truth might have been that she really had more fan votes all along the way than either one of the two "sexy" older dancers.

That is the thing here as well....we haven't seen an actual vote count. We don't know who is really in the lead - or has been in the lead - with fan votes this whole season. We don't really even know when they are "staging" the bottom 2 for effect. We think we have it figured it, but we can't swear to it, so that proves nothing either, when push comes to shove.
    Who has the most fan votes and therefore is in the lead to win? Can we really tell??
    Nope.

We CAN'T really tell.

So there's no way to take ANYTHING to the bank as far as this show goes.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

While I admit I forgot that Shawn was that young ... my "negativity" is putting in a 16 year-old DANCER/Ringer against say ... a guy who wants to be able to dance at his wedding!

Heck ... I was a darn good dancer when I was 16 ... and learned the new dances quickly too!

Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

I think the vigor with which people call Zendaya a ringer is testament to how fearful they are of her talent. Roshon has probably more hip hop dance than Zendaya, but his talent didn't extend in the same way to the ballroom and latin dances. There's tons of talented kids out there, it's the ones who can be versatile in another genre that make them particularly strong.

And the term "ringer" doesn't really apply to Zendaya since the term connotes that the person is trying to hide their dance background like a hustler. She's been nothing but up front about her dancing. Others on this show have never been so forthcoming.

Mario Lopez in season 2, said he never had any sort of dance training outside of break dancing with his friends, and then Jimmy Kimmel showed a kids show tape of Mario dancing pirouttes and barrel jumps that aren't learned on the street. That's when Emmitt Smith called him a "ringer" Other's have tried to hide or downplay their obvious dance ability, but you have to admire Zendaya for just saying, "yes, I dance hip hop choreography" and the producers made sure she did it in week 9.

People will vote for whomever their favorite is based on a lot of factors, not only dancing, so to worry so much about the "fairness" of who has training and who doesn't is inconsequential. The goal of the celebrities is to raise their Q rating- their popularity quotient so they can get bigger and better gigs, or sell whatever they are selling to a greater audience. Learning to dance is secondary.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-16-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Coco46 likes this.

I think the vigor with which people call Zendaya a ringer is testament to how fearful they are of her talent. Roshon has probably more hip hop dance than Zendaya, but his talent didn't extend in the same way to the ballroom and latin dances. There's tons of talented kids out there, it's the ones who can be versatile in another genre that make them particularly strong.

And the term "ringer" doesn't really apply to Zendaya since the term connotes that the person is trying to hide their dance background like a hustler. She's been nothing but up front about her dancing. Others on this show have never been so forthcoming.

Mario Lopez in season 2, said he never had any sort of dance training outside of break dancing with his friends, and then Jimmy Kimmel showed a kids show tape of Mario dancing pirouttes and barrel jumps that aren't learned on the street. That's when Emmitt Smith called him a "ringer" Other's have tried to hide or downplay their obvious dance ability, but you have to admire Zendaya for just saying, "yes, I dance hip hop choreography" and the producers made sure she did it in week 9.

People will vote for whomever their favorite is based on a lot of factors, not only dancing, so to worry so much about the "fairness" of who has training and who doesn't is inconsequential. The goal of the celebrities is to raise their Q rating- their popularity quotient so they can get bigger and better gigs, or sell whatever they are selling to a greater audience. Learning to dance is secondary.
    Ringer may or not be the precise word ... but she does dance professionally and as far as I know .... the others do not. It has happened before on thois show.

And my goodness .... I am certainly not "fearful" of some child on a reality show. Please.

I just prefer to see people who start out with little or no real dancing experience ... and improve as the weeks go on.
    Ingo is a good example as is Aly and actually Jacoby too. Kellie is just a natural. Sean improved a little ... well probably enough to dance at his wedding.

Also, I think anything anyone has to say ... especially about fairness ... is of consequence.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread