+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: 5/13 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/13 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

There were only two scores I agreed with...D&K first dance and Z&V second dance. The rest were either underscored or overscored. Bad bad night for scoring. It tells me either 1) who they want in the finales or 2) who needs more votes to make it to the finales.

I think Kellie & Val deserve the Final 2 spot....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I thought I was in the twilight zone when I saw the scoring. WHAT? The difficulty between dances didn't seem to make any difference. You could get a low score for doing a much more challenging dance than someone else who did a much easier dance. So unfair, IMO, but that's how it is. I just ignored the scores as much as possible.

I was a little annoyed that Aly is on top of the board in part due to a routine that was not difficult. I like how the judges had to explain how taxing the moves were. Really? AT LAST I can say they did a dance that even I could do with one afternoon of practice. I honestly believe that I could do that AfroJazz routine. It was not complex and required no real skill. It as a little amusing, but not impressive as it lacked any skill. It was perfect if you're flat footed too.

Loved Kellie in both her dances. I pray she makes it to the finals.

I had my hopes really high for the Hip Hop. It was a let down for me. I thought their routine would have been much better. Meh...for me. I liked their other routine much better.

I loved Jacoby's second performance.

I wasn't wild about either of Ingo's.
    Coco46 and Midol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post

Aly is definitely improving and I only wondered about her hip action being enough in the rumba. Again, know nothing about the afro jazz to be able to make a comment.

Zandaya and Val I was expecting their Quick Step to be very much like the one you preferred to see. Those are the type I prefer as well. I saw some comments on various sites where some people thought Val danced the hip hop as well as Zandaya - meant as a total complement to him by them and not putting Zanaya down at all.
    Just to comment on the Rumba, Aly wore flats last evening for the Rumba and while it's a comfortable thing it can be a double edged sword. Hip action starts in the balls of the feet through the legs, (who was it this season it was like putting out a cigarette?) you have to get that motion going in the legs and through to the hips. In Latin heels when you dance on the balls of your feet you can see how the legs become taut and then the hip roll is easier to do. So for a dance like the Rumba, it's an advantage to dance in heels. In flats, it's just not that easy.

Karina wore flats for the Lindy Hop and that's as it should be. Lindy Hop doesn't require cuban motion. You can dance flat footed and it's perfectly acceptable since the dance is sort of funky urban feel.

Regarding the Hip Hop, I'm no expert but my eye kept travelling over to Val, he's just so crisp in his movement. In fact, this dance demonstrated that Zendaya while a marvelous student of dancing, and is especially comfortable in her style, is not a pro. A pro, like Val picked up a completely foreign style in a few days and made it look easy.

I had my hopes really high for the Hip Hop. It was a let down for me. I thought their routine would have been much better. Meh...for me. I liked their other routine much better.

I loved Jacoby's second performance.

I wasn't wild about either of Ingo's.
    The hip hop was okay -it really didn't deserve a 30. It wasn't gritty enough for me. Their quickstep was okay, but who chose the costumes, they looked like two frantic bumble bees.

Talking of costumes, the Afro Jazz ( which is harder than it looks ) that was also weird . Loved M & A's first dance but like the judges, I don't know much about Afro jazz, or care to.
    Jacoby had an enjoyable Lindy Hop, but something about him, still bugs me. Overall it was a mediocre night for me with only one stand out dance from, Derek and Kellie .Their AT was really really good , a 30 well deserved.

The scoring last night was all over the map, 30's for everyone - these judges make no sense at all.
    NCLurker and Midol like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hope Ingo goes home this week, just because I like all of the remaining couples better than him. The following week it's going to be hard to lose anybody because all of them are doing so well. Aly is my least favorite of the other stars just because I'm not feeling her when she dances. I don't know why that is. I'd be thrilled for Kellie, Zendaya, or Jacoby if they won. I think Kellie started off strongest, Zendaya has the most potential, and Jacoby is the most improved.
    luvlady345, Coco46 and Midol like this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Just to comment on the Rumba, Aly wore flats last evening for the Rumba and while it's a comfortable thing it can be a double edged sword. Hip action starts in the balls of the feet through the legs, (who was it this season it was like putting out a cigarette?) you have to get that motion going in the legs and through to the hips. In Latin heels when you dance on the balls of your feet you can see how the legs become taut and then the hip roll is easier to do. So for a dance like the Rumba, it's an advantage to dance in heels. In flats, it's just not that easy.
    When I took dance lessons, we danced most of the Latin dances with flat feet and the standard dances with heel leads, so flat shoes would have been most appropriate for the Rumba. However, we weren't doing the International Rumba, which is a little different and is the style most often used in competitive ballroom dancing.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    When I took dance lessons, we danced most of the Latin dances with flat feet and the standard dances with heel leads, so flat shoes would have been most appropriate for the Rumba. However, we weren't doing the International Rumba, which is a little different and is the style most often used in competitive ballroom dancing.
    Latin Ballroom in flat feet? most unusual. I've never seen it taught that way. Even my ballroom teacher would wear heels for cuban motion. You're correct, definitely for any sort of competitive ballroom Latin heels are important and primarily open toed. Ballroom Standard or Smooth shoes are normally close toed.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I"m glad you explained this because there was something off about their dance and I didn't know what it was, but those gold flat shoes were driving me crazy looking at them. Maybe it did affect the dance....something was certainly missing. I'm no dance expert- I pretty much know nothing, but I am usually pretty close to the judges on whether I liked it or felt it was good or not. I wasn't even close on this dance- I thought it was lackluster at best. I didn't 'feel' it and I thought it was stiff and didn't flow as well as a rhumba should, but then the judges fawned over it like she was the second coming. The shoes bugged me the whole dance- I think because they were gold and stood out, but because they stood out I noticed they were flat. It definitely didn't deserve a 30.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I hope Ingo goes home this week, just because I like all of the remaining couples better than him. The following week it's going to be hard to lose anybody because all of them are doing so well. Aly is my least favorite of the other stars just because I'm not feeling her when she dances. I don't know why that is. I'd be thrilled for Kellie, Zendaya, or Jacoby if they won. I think Kellie started off strongest, Zendaya has the most potential, and Jacoby is the most improved.
    I think Ingo danced his last dance, he isn't as good as the others. He has improved along the way, but he has trouble with his hips
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I"m glad you explained this because there was something off about their dance and I didn't know what it was, but those gold flat shoes were driving me crazy looking at them. Maybe it did affect the dance....something was certainly missing. I'm no dance expert- I pretty much know nothing, but I am usually pretty close to the judges on whether I liked it or felt it was good or not. I wasn't even close on this dance- I thought it was lackluster at best. I didn't 'feel' it and I thought it was stiff and didn't flow as well as a rhumba should, but then the judges fawned over it like she was the second coming. The shoes bugged me the whole dance- I think because they were gold and stood out, but because they stood out I noticed they were flat. It definitely didn't deserve a 30.
    It's a psychological thing as much as a physical thing, if you see a leg in heels it creates a more attractive body line. When you're doing something that requires hip action it's important to get the line correct, and when you dance in heels it just helps that line. Personally, given the competition, I feel Aly has yet to do anything more than a 26-27 this season, but for me this was her best effort. She definitely does not have the fluidity of her gymnast friend Shawn Johnson

+ Reply to Thread