+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Couldn't it be possible that there's a natural limit to how far Kellie can progress? I think that people's "he always gets ringers" claims against Derek makes them believe that every partner he gets can dance at a certain level.

Kellie's flaws have been apparent all season, and if she can't retain certain basics that Derek tries to instill in her, then it's his job as a pro to make her look as good as possible so she keeps advancing. She's not afraid to get tossed around or bent like a pretzel, so he uses that strength. But it's not like he can install a "fluidity chip" in her head.

Yes he's had a ringer or two. But seeing Kellie makes me wonder just how good some of his other partners were that people assumed he was "lucky" to get...I doubt Kellie is feeling shortchanged.
    I said from week one, I didn't Kellie was going to win.The people who love Derek would vote for him if he danced with a carrot. Same goes for some die hard Maks fans. I think Kellie has done well, but she has had a great teacher. He makes everyone look good IMSHO. Really , I do find it unnecessary to put one person down constantly, just to give praise to another. We all have our favorites.

And for the record, while I appreciate Kellie, I wouldn't necessarily consider her a favorite. I watch this show for the entertainment value, period. I really don't care who wins, though I do hope it is either Kellie or Z (I think they are both far above the others). I can appreciate talent where there is talent, and both of these ladies have proven to have more than I would have anticipated. My observations have nothing to do with who I might prefer as that tends to change dance to dance.
    NC , as I said above we all have our favorites . Not just here, but in other threads of shows coming to an end. I thought your post was well written, very much like the one posted by Bloomers. I am sure Zendaya will win this, she dances well, but even more, she has more followers, and that's the way this show is leaning now . I am really enjoying Kellie and Derek, that's all that counts now. Entertainment on a fluffy show, that used to be all about ballroom.
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 05-11-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Couldn't it be possible that there's a natural limit to how far Kellie can progress? I think that people's "he always gets ringers" claims against Derek makes them believe that every partner he gets can dance at a certain level.

Kellie's flaws have been apparent all season, and if she can't retain certain basics that Derek tries to instill in her, then it's his job as a pro to make her look as good as possible so she keeps advancing. She's not afraid to get tossed around or bent like a pretzel, so he uses that strength. But it's not like he can install a "fluidity chip" in her head.

Yes he's had a ringer or two. But seeing Kellie makes me wonder just how good some of his other partners were that people assumed he was "lucky" to get...I doubt Kellie is feeling shortchanged.
    Really, she hasn't been taught enough content for people to know if she has limits or not. But this isn't new with only Kellie.

Just because this is 2013 doesn't mean we throw out the past, at least not for me. Do we forget Chopin and Mozart, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Leonard Bernstein, the Gershwins, or Cole Porter? Not I. I've always and enjoyed things from my generation, those that came before me, and those that came after. I'd have missed out on a lot if I didn't.

I embrace all forms of dance, old and new. My exception is hip hop, which I recognize requires a great deal of skill, but I just find it ungraceful and ugly. There aren't many Twitches around who can do it well and also do other types well. When DWTS began, it was promoted as a ballroom dance competition between a pro and a celebrity. That's what I tuned in for and that's what I want. I go elsewhere to watch other forms of dance.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    EC, while Zendaya has been an amazing student and I can appreciate her dance ability, unless you are privy to far more info than the rest of us, I do not believe that any of us can say that Kellie has been short changed. It is apparent that your opinion is greatly colored by your very obvious preference to Z and Val. I understand that, as most of us tend to see things through our own preferences and opinions, however, Kellie has probably learned far more than what we have seen and, contrary to what you seem to think, in watching the dances Kellie has done far more than go where "Derek places her". Yes, she at times lacks a fluidity in some of her movements, but she has danced some fantastic dances with some incredible dance technique, flexibility and musicality. And to be perfectly fair, Z, while an amazing dancer and student, sometimes lacks total control of those amazing long legs (of which I am genuinely a tad bit jealous). None of these dancers are perfect, and Kellie and Zendaya are probably far closer in ability and technique than you think. They just have different strengths and weaknesses. Zendaya's talent doesn't need Kellie to be slighted in order to shine, anymore than Kellie needs Zendaya to be slighted. They are both very talented and have done well.
    That's the one thing I guess I'll never get for these competition shows. Not that I can't get in the game too when someone is giving my pick down the road. It's just that I think it's all rather silly.
    NCLurker and Fanny Mare like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

FORT Fogey

Nothing that I have written has be untoward Kellie. People get their shorts in a knot when the supposed "teacher" doesn't and think the criticism is aimed at the celebrity. It isn't. Kellie could very well win the competition. It's just unfortunate that she could have had so much more content in her dancing.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-12-2013 at 01:15 AM.
    Florimel likes this.

To the Point

Well, I think that we will have to agree to disagree because there are any number of posts that indicate otherwise throughout the whole of the competition and that is my only issue. So I will leave it at that for the rest of this season.

FORT Fogey

The saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but from my understanding the ratings are down this season for DWTS. Likewise, the saying comes to mind, "If you continue to do the same thing you have always done, you will continue to get the same results you have always gotten," - sliding ratings.

Therefore, if the ratings are down, the producers are going to be looking at ways that they can change things up in order to try to bring the ratings back up. Adding additional genres to the original Ballroom Dance lineup seems to me to be the most obvious quick fix.
    Adding and keeping up with all the contemporary up-to date technical, electronical foo-foos is necessary as well to keep and entertain a younger viewing audience.
    BTW, I smile when I say this, but I'm just an observer commenting on what I think I see happening! Railing in this direction does no good at all!

Whoever it was that posted about the upheaval at American Idol is correct as far as what is being said. AI's ratings have also slipped, and it is widely being said that they are letting all 4 judges -including the one who has been there every season- go, the head producer as well, and they are changing a lot of the show's format.

I do not think it is unlikely we could see some big changes in DWTS if they thought their ratings were suffering too badly, and I don't think the judges would necessarily be safe either if the producers thought that was a change that might help save the show.
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I didn't watch this season and if this trend continues count me out for future seasons. I was just at the point of how young is too young. Should we have students from Abby Lee compete; Brooke is 14 going on 15. From what little I did see Zen is a good dancer but a a ringer, not a Nicole level ringer, but a ringer none the less. Don't throw rotten tomatoes but I will even admit I did love Nicole & voted for her. It was more of her connection to Formula 1 racing than Pussycat Dolls.
    The point is, atleast for me, is how young is too young and how old is too old?
    I will attempt next season but if there is a Disney Kid DWTS lost me for good.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213