+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

If I could give you 2 likes Bloomers, I would. I wish Len were reading this. He is of course my preferred judge but you are never too old to learn something.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

FORT Fogey

Derek Hough likes to create, and the show gave him three opportunities this season alone to be "creative" without having to teach the celebrity.
    Unfortunately Kellie gets the short end of the equation. She hasn't been taught much beyond where Derek places her.

In contrast Val says his greatest accomplishment is Zendaya retains what she has learned and can follow his lead, even with dances she learned weeks ago and hasn't practiced. He can start to dance with her at the bumpers before commercial and she's right there with him. She has the fundamentals to use that Ballroom technique socially and in her future career.

So regardless if Len is from the last century, he makes sense in that if you're going to do a Chasse Cape, do the chasse, not just the cape.
    And finish what you start, don't half ass it just so you can see candy glass shatter on TV.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    If I could give you 2 likes Bloomers, I would. I wish Len were reading this. He is of course my preferred judge but you are never too old to learn something.
    Same here, very well said

As for Len, he had better keep up. American Idol just fired all their Judges so cleaning house on DWTS might just be the thing this show needs. I know it would make quite a few viewers happy . Of course AI now wants to get their core viewers back, too late, lets hope this show keeps theirs, rather than lose them and then worry about getting them back. I like Len, I love Derek, so if he leaves the show, there is nobody I want to watch. The show will go on, and become stale imho.
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 05-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Derek Hough likes to create, and the show gave him three opportunities this season alone to be "creative" without having to teach the celebrity.
    Unfortunately Kellie gets the short end of the equation. She hasn't been taught much beyond where Derek places her.

In contrast Val says his greatest accomplishment is Zendaya retains what she has learned and can follow his lead, even with dances she learned weeks ago and hasn't practiced. He can start to dance with her at the bumpers before commercial and she's right there with him. She has the fundamentals to use that Ballroom technique socially and in her future career.

So regardless if Len is from the last century, he makes sense in that if you're going to do a Chasse Cape, do the chasse, not just the cape.
    And finish what you start, don't half ass it just so you can see candy glass shatter on TV.
    EC, while Zendaya has been an amazing student and I can appreciate her dance ability, unless you are privy to far more info than the rest of us, I do not believe that any of us can say that Kellie has been short changed. It is apparent that your opinion is greatly colored by your very obvious preference to Z and Val. I understand that, as most of us tend to see things through our own preferences and opinions, however, Kellie has probably learned far more than what we have seen and, contrary to what you seem to think, in watching the dances Kellie has done far more than go where "Derek places her". Yes, she at times lacks a fluidity in some of her movements, but she has danced some fantastic dances with some incredible dance technique, flexibility and musicality. And to be perfectly fair, Z, while an amazing dancer and student, sometimes lacks total control of those amazing long legs (of which I am genuinely a tad bit jealous). None of these dancers are perfect, and Kellie and Zendaya are probably far closer in ability and technique than you think. They just have different strengths and weaknesses. Zendaya's talent doesn't need Kellie to be slighted in order to shine, anymore than Kellie needs Zendaya to be slighted. They are both very talented and have done well.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 05-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.

. Beautifully said NC you are also correct in saying : They are both very talented and have done well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Couldn't it be possible that there's a natural limit to how far Kellie can progress? I think that people's "he always gets ringers" claims against Derek makes them believe that every partner he gets can dance at a certain level.

Kellie's flaws have been apparent all season, and if she can't retain certain basics that Derek tries to instill in her, then it's his job as a pro to make her look as good as possible so she keeps advancing. She's not afraid to get tossed around or bent like a pretzel, so he uses that strength. But it's not like he can install a "fluidity chip" in her head.

Yes he's had a ringer or two. But seeing Kellie makes me wonder just how good some of his other partners were that people assumed he was "lucky" to get...I doubt Kellie is feeling shortchanged.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Newbie

Actually, Zendaya has amazing control of those long legs. The 'Bambi' comments were a criticism of her AT THE BEGINNING. Even dispassionate pros, Anna, Shirley Ballas and Louis now commend her on her control, her tight, fast spins and precise foot placement. I find viewers especially those with not a great deal of technical background tend to hold onto early critiques of stars who are not their favorites, in many cases, long after they are no longer valid.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by renzii View Post
    Actually, Zendaya has amazing control of those long legs. The 'Bambi' comments were a criticism of her AT THE BEGINNING. Even dispassionate pros, Anna, Shirley Ballas and Louis now commend her on her control, her tight, fast spins and precise foot placement. I find viewers especially those with not a great deal of technical background tend to hold onto early critiques of stars who are not their favorites, in many cases, long after they are no longer valid.
    There go those assumptions....

And for the record, while I appreciate Kellie, I wouldn't necessarily consider her a favorite. I watch this show for the entertainment value, period. I really don't care who wins, though I do hope it is either Kellie or Z (I think they are both far above the others). I can appreciate talent where there is talent, and both of these ladies have proven to have more than I would have anticipated. My observations have nothing to do with who I might prefer as that tends to change dance to dance.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 05-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    EC, while Zendaya has been an amazing student and I can appreciate her dance ability, unless you are privy to far more info than the rest of us, I do not believe that any of us can say that Kellie has been short changed. It is apparent that your opinion is greatly colored by your very obvious preference to Z and Val. I understand that, as most of us tend to see things through our own preferences and opinions, however, Kellie has probably learned far more than what we have seen and, contrary to what you seem to think, in watching the dances Kellie has done far more than go where "Derek places her". Yes, she at times lacks a fluidity in some of her movements, but she has danced some fantastic dances with some incredible dance technique, flexibility and musicality. And to be perfectly fair, Z, while an amazing dancer and student, sometimes lacks total control of those amazing long legs (of which I am genuinely a tad bit jealous). None of these dancers are perfect, and Kellie and Zendaya are probably far closer in ability and technique than you think. They just have different strengths and weaknesses. Zendaya's talent doesn't need Kellie to be slighted in order to shine, anymore than Kellie needs Zendaya to be slighted. They are both very talented and have done well.
    I'll say this. I sincerely do not believe Kellie could Jive on the spot if you asked her to. Why? because she was lost more than once during the performance and struggled to keep up. And as for the Cha Cha Cha? It didn't have enough content of Cha Cha to be committed to memory. When the basics are drilled, a thing called muscle memory kicks in.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by renzii View Post
    If Zendaya did not have control of her legs she would not be able to do what she does.

I think in dance, definitely she's very accomplished and can pick up choreography quickly and do the dances better than most. But others could beat her, not in dancing, but in tricks in flexibility and tumbling. Most often it comes down to the wow factor on the freestyle. Flexibility is something they are working on, but unlike the others she had trouble touching her toes when she started this season.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread