+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/07 DWTS 16 Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Okay, you made me look. If and I say that since anybody can edit them anytime they want, Wiki is correct, here is the list of DWTS winners. (clip)
    We have that information readily available here as well, in the stickied thread at the top of the forum:

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ion-lists.html
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I get irritated about these two with the best of them, but I think this is a bit unfair. Cheryl has not won since season 3. In fact hasn't Kym now won twice as well? And this season, I think both Derek and Mark have partners who are very popular with the fans. I think both of them will probably be in the finals, and not because there was manipulation, but because their stars have fans. The only time it really felt blatant to me in the past was that winner take all cha cha for 15 points that pushed Mark and Chelsea into the finals a few seasons ago. Otherwise, I think they just tend to be partnered with more popular (or controversial, in Bristol's case) stars.
    But in both cases they have had their clunkers. Mark has had one to my knowledge (Bristol) and Derek I do not know of any he's had.

My reasoning for Derek this year though is that there have been rumors this is his last season so why not go out on top? It's not that I don't think he nor Kellie are bad dancers (I feel they're better than Mark and Aly) but sometimes when they overplay things such as the scoring one cannot help but feel that way.
    Midol likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    But in both cases they have had their clunkers. Mark has had one to my knowledge (Bristol) and Derek I do not know of any he's had.

My reasoning for Derek this year though is that there have been rumors this is his last season so why not go out on top? It's not that I don't think he nor Kellie are bad dancers (I feel they're better than Mark and Aly) but sometimes when they overplay things such as the scoring one cannot help but feel that way.
    Wasn't last season supposed to be his last? I think everyone thought he had it in the bag with Shawn last season...on the production/judge side, but then the fans went with Tony and Melissa in a much deserved win. I think that is why he came back again this year and he was paired with yet another good dancer in Kellie who I like, but really Z has been the breakout dancer for me. I think (and hope), Z and Val will win it and Derek can finally leave. I respect him as a choreographer, but, I am tired of him always getting the music and the partners with potential. Even last night, when I saw that number he did...I read here how everyone loved and how great it was...and while to a degree I agree, I also found it rather cold and frankly, self indulgent. I can't see them going out of their way doing something like that for any of the other dancers and that bothers me.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Totally agree. People wonder why Kellie has not had an encore? I think it has more to do with Derek's "special" pro-dances instead of Kellie. This push to get an Emmy is off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post

What do you mean by overplaying things such as the scoring? I'm curious.

edit to move to Spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Totally agree. People wonder why Kellie has not had an encore? I think it has more to do with Derek's "special" pro-dances instead of Kellie. This push to get an Emmy is off putting.
    When I first mentioned the possibility of another Emmy nomination for Derek in the show thread, it was the most casual of comments. I seriously doubt Derek choreographs his side dances thinking, "Hey, this will get me that Emmy!" He does it because it's his life, and he loves it, and he loves pushing himself into new territories within ballroon, and dance in general.

The worst that can be said about him is that occasionally, he tries to be clever about including just enough elements in the ballroom routines with Kellie (or insert any past partner here) so that he can choreograph a freer, wilder routine. And honestly, he only gets called on it half the time, not because he's a judges' pet, but because he's really good at balancing the seesaw and giving the judges what they need. Mark tries to do the same thing, but he isn't half as clever as Derek about balancing all the elements. (Plus, Derek takes more care to make his partner look good, where Mark tends to shine the spotlight on himself a little more).
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

You're very kind in your assessment. I'm sure Derek has had many opportunities to be the generous professional. But, I think the show and Derek Hough are much more calculating about the Emmy Nominations. To bring in that contraption for the Fred Astaire dance was more than a bit of money, they promoted the tar out of it, moreover the Emmy noms are not just something bestowed on people, they put their names up themselves for consideration. And definitely this show is pushing for an Emmy. They didn't get anything last year and they had the Celebrities make Promos for the show to get a nod. They hate the fact that SYTYCD has a room full of them.
    Florimel likes this.

Sure the show pushes for Emmy nominations -- they do it like crazy, it's part of the business of TV. I just don't think Derek personally gives it as much thought as you might think when he's deciding what to choreograph next. Of course it crosses his mind, since he's been nominated 3 times. I just don't think he gets up in them morning and says, "Another day that I try to win an Emmy!"
    NCLurker, Shoepie, ilja and 1 others like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    When I first mentioned the possibility of another Emmy nomination for Derek in the show thread, it was the most casual of comments. I seriously doubt Derek choreographs his side dances thinking, "Hey, this will get me that Emmy!" He does it because it's his life, and he loves it, and he loves pushing himself into new territories within ballroom, and dance in general.

The worst that can be said about him is that occasionally, he tries to be clever about including just enough elements in the ballroom routines with Kellie (or insert any past partner here) so that he can choreograph a freer, wilder routine. And honestly, he only gets called on it half the time, not because he's a judges' pet, but because he's really good at balancing the seesaw and giving the judges what they need. Mark tries to do the same thing, but he isn't half as clever as Derek about balancing all the elements. (Plus, Derek takes more care to make his partner look good, where Mark tends to shine the spotlight on himself a little more).

Dancing is Derek's passion, as soon as I saw him, I knew he didn't just love dance like the other pros, I saw it as his passion . Even if I don't like his partner, and there have been a couple, he is often able to make me like them. I don't know what it must be like to be his partner, Brooke still speaks of it . I love Derek, his passion and his choreography

SYTYCD would be lucky to have him.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread