+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    EC . . .

Speaking strictly for Yours Truly . . .

Guess what? I actually DON'T have a problem with errors --- such as illegal lifts --- being pointed out during dances that they're not supposed to be allowed in. I mean, using common sense --- and yes, there are SOME of us that at least TRY to, anyway! --- if a lift is illegal and NOT supposed to be in a dance, then so be it.

You play, you pay.

Where I --- and perhaps, a lot of OTHER people --- have an issue with CA is, first of all, THAT SHE IS NOT CONSISTENT IN DINGING DANCERS FOR ILLEGAL LIFTS! I have lost COUNT of the number of times, during critiques, I've heard and seen her say to a couple: "I saw a little lift there, but I'll let it go for tonight! Just wanted to make you aware of that!". OR --- and this is even MORE irritating --- she'll nail one couple for a lift and not make an issue of it with ANOTHER couple.

Give me a freakin' BREAK!

And the WAY in which she usually does it? Either like she's a schoolmarm rapping a bad student's knuckles with a ruler, or like some hopped-up Valkyrie deciding some poor schlub's eternal fate.

I never understood, anyway, WHY CA is the ONLY one of The Three that rides the "Lift Police" Train. Len and Bruno. Are they, or are they NOT judges, too? Frankly, I don't EVER recall seeing either one of them call anybody out for a lift. One of the guys just MAY have called somebody out for an illegal lift over the course of the show. But I've watched since Season 1 and I don't ever recall seeing that, though it's possible one or both of them might have.

Sure, I understand the reasoning behind dinging couples for lifts that are not supposed to be in a particular dance. But the way in which that's handled on this show --- AND the person that handles it --- I don't care for MOST of the time, anyway.

So, speaking strictly for Yours Truly, I'll be just fine and dandy continuing to happily snark away at CA and her self-assurmed "Lift Police" persona.

JMHO.

Totally agree, the judges need to be consistent. I thought CA said that she gave everyone a pass up to last week but told everyone that she would start docking, and in that sense she's been consistent.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Totally agree, the judges need to be consistent. I thought CA said that she gave everyone a pass up to last week but told everyone that she would start docking, and in that sense she's been consistent.
    CA never really seems to be able to find her own behind with two hands, a flashlight and a road map, so honestly, I'm never really sure what she says, when she says it, or which direction her face and mouth are going to be going in at any given time.

So, I've gotta admit, I have pretty much ZERO consideration and respect for her, AND anything that is supposed to be a critique that passes her lips. VERY occasionally, I'll agree with a critique of hers.

But believe me, THAT state of affairs is so rare as to be pretty much nonexistent!
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Carrie Ann knocks a point off for an unintentional lift where a foot comes a half inch off the ground for a fraction of a second, but then often doesn't knock any points off Derek's or Mark's choreography where the dancers don't remain in hold when that is a requirement of a dance, or when they throw lifts into the jive -- in those cases, she says the beauty of the choreography trumps the rules.
    BTW, Florimel, nanarama and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Carrie Ann knocks a point off for an unintentional lift where a foot comes a half inch off the ground for a fraction of a second, but then often doesn't knock any points off Derek's or Mark's choreography where the dancers don't remain in hold when that is a requirement of a dance, or when they throw lifts into the jive -- in those cases, she says the beauty of the choreography trumps the rules.
    Yep, she's done that, very discouraging for those not her favorites.
    BTW likes this.

Really liked the side by side challenge hope they use it again on other seasons.

I have mentioned it before but I am really liking the costume designs the ladies all look sexy and not slutty.

This is the first episode where I have like Aly Raisman's costume. The outfit flattered her figure and made her look feminine yet strong, and she didn't look "big" or "thick" in it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

For as much as the media and our culture talks about and project sex and sexuality on every product and thing we do in this country it always seems a big disconnect when both male and female celebrities balk at or totally freak out at moving their pelvic girdles. It was painful to watch Iago try. Lisa Van Pump totally fail and I definitely remember Hope Solo from seasons past be a total grump about it. Even Jacoby was complaining that men's hips don't move that way. Makes me wonder how any of these folks were able to reproduce.

Oh, luv'ed Max's comment to Iago about keeping his hands above his waist as that looks masculine.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    CA never really seems to be able to find her own behind with two hands, a flashlight and a road map, so honestly, I'm never really sure what she says, when she says it, or which direction her face and mouth are going to be going in at any given time.

So, I've gotta admit, I have pretty much ZERO consideration and respect for her, AND anything that is supposed to be a critique that passes her lips. VERY occasionally, I'll agree with a critique of hers.

But believe me, THAT state of affairs is so rare as to be pretty much nonexistent!
    The only one I care about is Len. He knows what he is talking about. Bruno and CA are there as sidekicks. I never listen to her giggle and drool, or Bruno totally overdoing what he says and the way he says it.Although I can put up with him over CA

From Len a 10!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    . . . Donny Osmond . . . actually took Ballroom lessons privately for his Vegas show before dancing with the stars and denied it, but then finally copped to it after La Toya Jackson called him on it. Taking Ballroom lessons is against the rules, other dance lessons is fair game . . .
    Thanks for the info!

So, as far as I'M concerned, IF this is true, not only did Donny have ONE leg up on everybody else on this show . . .

He had TWO!

Not cool, at all.

I am SO not impressed by that --- since taking ballroom lessons is supposed to be against the rules --- and good for LaToya for calling him out on that.

I've noticed, however, that there's been no reported flap about TPTB DQing Donny on his win (regardless of whether or not they found out about his private lessons before, during or AFTER his win), and making him return his "coveted" MBT.

If I were them, I sure as hell WOULD DQ him and make him return it, or strike his name from the official list of winners, etc.

But then again, WHEN has this show EVER made any consistent, logical sense in how they handle their set-up, anyway?

Also . . .

NOW this has got me wondering, since SHE performed WITH Donny IN Vegas, if MARIE had private ballroom dancing lessons, too?

Haven't heard anything about that, either, and I'd be kind of curious to know if she DID, or not.

But then again, when she was on, she sure as hell didn't LOOK like she'd had any ballroom lessons.

ESPECIALLY with that "Bride of Chucky" doll freestyle she and Jonathan did!

Just sayin'.

LOL!
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I thought when all of that came out Donny basically said he had worked with a ballroom pro to choreograph a routine for his Vegas show - so they taught him the steps and what order to put them in, but it wasn't really considered lessons. Now whether that is true or not is a completely different story. But I thought that was what the "party line" was at the time and why he wasn't DQ'ed.
    ness likes this.

Osmond is competitive as all get. He knew three things: One his Vegas show was going to capitalize on his Ballroom experience on DWTS so he'd better get some Ballroom lessons, and he did. Private lessons from a Ballroom coach. (It made me wonder if he thought Kym was good enough).

Two, he was competing against a dancer/choreographer Mya. It didn't matter that her specialty was tap and hip hop, he was going to beat her in the Ballroom.

Three, he had to beat his sister.

He clearly broke the rules, but the show kept up the "Mya is a ringer" mantra so Osmond was in the clear. If anyone was a ringer it was Donny. He wasn't going to fess up to having even taken ballroom lessons. That's like getting hustled in pool.

What I was very glad to see was he didn't participate in the All Stars.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread