+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I was blown away with HOW Val approached the Argentine Tango, since most ballroom dancers tend to put too much staccato and head snaps, etc when they do it, and that of course is all ballroom technique, but it's all wrong for Argentine.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Katherine Jenkins was on, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, Donny Osmond, Marie Osmond, etc., etc., etc. Katherine had previously danced in a choreographed show ("Viva La Diva") with Darcy Bussell. Nicole, well we ALL know about her Pussycat Dolls dancing. Jennifer --- of course --- had to learn choreographed routines for "Dirty Dancing". Donny and Marie have been doing choreographed stage dancing moves to be integrated into their shows since the devil was a boy.

And on and on, etc., etc.

Matter of fact, IIRC, even Melissa Rycroft was a pro cheerleader, at one time. And she CERTAINLY, at some point, had to do choreographed dance/cheer routines, even though she may never have taken a formal ballroom dance class.

And do I even have to MENTION Mya's name?

My thought is that even though none of the aforementioned (and others) may have ever found themselves in a formal ballroom dancing class, taking formal ballroom dancing lessons, they WERE getting information and instruction from some pro, somewhere, some time (if not actually choreographing their shows, etc., totally by themselves), on dancing and/or moving properly on a stage.

Sure, they all came on DWTS and had to LEARN ballroom dancing steps from actual ballroom dancing pros. But, the way I see it is that they also had a leg up over total babes-in-the-woods, never-had-to-develop-any-kind-of-a-dancing-stage-presence-at-all greenhorns and neophytes like Ty, Jerry, DL, Andy, etc., etc.

And as for Z? Much as I love the girl and think she just might take it all, I don't ever for one second kid myself that she's never been in a position where she's never danced before in front of an audience. OR not taken SOME kind of instruction from SOME pro choreographer, someWHERE, and thereby developed at least some comfort level for dancing in front of crowds, on stage, or at least for taping purposes.

And do I think that has given her a leg up over the REAL non-dancers?

Yep.

Just like I think Kellie --- love her though I do, and I ain't mad at HER, either! --- has had and HAS that SAME leg up over the greenhorns after having worked with the Roystons on HER shows.

JMHO, thoughts and observations.

All true! the only ringer who really irritated me was Donny Osmond, since he actually took Ballroom lessons privately for his Vegas show before dancing with the stars and denied it, but then finally copped to it after La Toya Jackson called him on it. Taking Ballroom lessons is against the rules, other dance lessons is fair game, and yes Melissa Rycroft took a lot of ballet, and it showed on her turnout, and her tendency to dance on top of the floor instead of getting down into her knees more. She admitted to having been trained in that style. This helped her tremendously in especially the
    Lyrical dances like Viennese Waltz and it's the reason why Tony went for a contemporary style rather than a hard hitting dance for her freestyle. There is nothing wrong with showcasing your strengths. Zendaya as a hip hop dancer is doing great on the Latin styles, but the real revelation is her quality on the lyrical dances like Viennese Waltz and Contemporary, which are not normally a strength for hip hoppers. It's the versatility she is demonstrating which is the most exciting thing to find in a contestant on this show. And I think Val and the show is being terrific in showing her practice sessions as a lot of hard work, it's not coming as easy to her as people assume. Moreover, think of the young girls watching her dance all these styles. it just might inspire other young people to take up ballroom dancing

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I felt so bad for D.L. I want to root for him because I can see he's trying so hard but he did not do well last night. I admire him for continuing to try and keeping a sense of humor over the situation.

I hope after the show, he continues to pursue dancing because I think he can get it eventually. However, I doubt he will. He seems to be out of his comfort zone with ballroom dancing.

This week will be a hard week to lose someone because all of the remaining contestants really want to be there. It's never easy to eliminate a contestant who has given their best and it's still not enough.

I almost forgot to mention how much I loved seeing Maks back on the show! I wasn't a raging Maks fan before but he definitely adds something to the show and I've missed him while he was gone. I'm glad we got to see him back, even if temporarily. Between the two brothers, I'm still more of a Val fan.
    Last edited by pikachu; 04-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Poor Aly and her hair kerfuffle.
    What was her hair kerfuffle?

Sean was a real treat last night! He's been doing okay, but I was really impressed with his progress. Go Sean!

Loved Kellie, Zendaya and Jacoby. Jacoby had such a fun routine. THat guy is amazing.

I'm not sure what it is with Zendaya and Jacoby, but something about their legs distract me. It's like there's a little wobble in them. I guess because they are so long and lanky. As elegant as Zendaya is, I still see her legs as those of a baby foal at times. She's so precious too. What a sweet girl. Did you see her take the Prom Queen banner to put on Wynonna when she lost?

I was even impressed with Andy. I liked he performance much more than the judges did. And the the way he handled the cape seemed fine, IMO.

Aly is pretty good, but she seemed to be quite hesitant in her dance last night. Her outfit was much better though.

FORT Fogey

I really didn't love Kellie, although I give her points for giving it her best and wearing that awful wig. She gets stiff in the top line and she lost energy, she poses well, but when it comes to the dancing she always seems a bit behind. Also, it would have been great to have seen something new from Derek, since all the step sequences were sort of a mash up of what he did with Lil Kim, Brooke, Nicole, and Shannon Elizabeth previously.

FORT Fogey

Zendaya is 5'10" and if we saw her seated around a table I bet she would appear the same height as I am (5'3") because her legs are Barbi Doll proportion. And that girl can dance. The only reason she would not win would be Kellie having more fans. I expect to see them as F2.

Jacobe is good but his personality does not draw you in and that is key. He is not able to corredt his pidgeon toes, it is just how he is built. Because it annoys Len, he may not have scores to make it beyond F3 or 4.

Can anyone explain the no lift rule? Zendaya and others spent a lot of time in the air and not a peep from CA. Is it, the pros can lift the contestants but the contestants are not allowed to lift the pros? When Len snipped at CA about a lift she was grousing about he said, "there was no intent to lift" so he ignored it.

Zendaya needs someone taller, She was stooped over and her posture was awful at one point. I think she would have been better paired with Maks or Tony, not sure if they are taller, but Val looks sort of squatty beside her.She also had very wobbly legs last night- not that it matters, I think ABC got themselves one of the better ringers
    I guess I am not a fan. I am also glad she got rid of those ridiculous talons she wore during rehearsal, nine inch nails and all a different color.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I thought last night was pretty good actually. I enjoyed the side by sides more than I thought I would.

The only one that I think skated by on the side by side was Sean. They stood mostly in place on the judges table. Everyone else moved around the dance floor together which really let us see them perform side by side.

As usual Zendaya was amazing. But on a whole I really enjoyed all the dances for the first time this season.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I thought last night was pretty good actually. I enjoyed the side by sides more than I thought I would.
    Same here .I really loved Tristan the best, he made sure he didn't over dance when he was side by side.I loved that about him. I wish he was still in it ( sigh)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread