+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 3/18 DWTS 16 PREMIERE Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/18 DWTS 16 PREMIERE Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    People with their feet stuck in the mud in the bottom of the river: DL, Sean, and Wy. The Disney girl was amazingly mature in her moves; really liked her. Pickler surprised me and looked good doing it. Vanderpump even did much better than I ever expected; the pocket rat......yuck!

We should see massive improvements as the season goes on. Everybody always seems to be looking for perfection on the first night. I think that lack of perfection at least gives the show somewhere to go.
    I don't think Sean fits in the same mudfoot category as DL or even Wynona. They said Sean's footwork was good ... I thought his arms were a little wild ... his movements were too sharp ... so he needs some polish. If given a chance he has the potential to improve and make it pretty far.
    I thought DL and Jacoby were much less committed. Winona's weight is going to continue to hamper her ... but credit for effort.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MUDFOOT?!

LOVE it!

Giving everybody a head's-up RIGHT NOW that I'll be stealing that, at some point!

I agree with echo about Sean's sharp movements. They made him look robotic, to me.

But, I think --- if he lasts a few shows, which I believe he just might --- there IS the potential there for him to become a very decent, respectable dancer.

A good attitude and willingness to learn are at least half of the battle, I believe.

And he has both of those to the max, so I feel that he'll do reasonably well.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fan

I know we're all posting our own impressions etc so I'm going to say that I had a slightly different reaction to Sean than most here seem to.

In my IMO:

First of all I am no huge Sean fan. I just want him and Catherine to be happy.

That said, I had no expectations for Sean at all. I was sure he was going to clomp around like a combo of Bigfoot and DL Hughly (sorry!) but instead I saw him moving to the music and being a lot more in apparent control of his partner than the other males were last night. (The ballroom people are always telling us that the male contestants have it harder than female contestants because in addition to dancing the men have to look like they're leading.) I thought that Sean made a passable attempt at that.

Finally I was surprised and pleasantly so at how much bigger his personality was while dancing than it ever was on the Bach. He seems able to project his personality in a way that a lot of people who are new to performing do not know how to do.

When I add his (relative)flexibility of movement which also surprised me, I think we might see some decent dancing from Sean. At the very least he seems open to doing whatever it takes to actually do the dancing.

A very pleasant surprise all around. He could turn out to be a complete failure but having done some performing myself that willingness to lay it all out there means a lot to me. I hope he gets to stay around long enough to prove me right about his potential.
    ilja and Pandora2 like this.

FORT Fan

The other surprises for me were Victor and Ingo. I'd never heard of either one because I am neither a boxing nor a soaps fan.

Victor's down to earth attitude about himself will go a long way in the competition and I found his sense of humor about everything including himself to be uplifting. I'd like him to stay around so we can see him catch on to the various dances. He already knows how to use his entire body to maximum effect as a boxer and I want to see how he applies that to dancing.

The other surprise was Ingo. I'd never heard of him and wow what a body he has. More than that what control he has over his body. I thought his dance with Kym was the most beautiful of the night in terms of pure physicality. I'm probably echoing a lot of soap fans when I say that I want to see more of him.

BTW what was it with those awful lights last night? Not only were they distracting but several times so bright they obscured the dancers. If I want a light show I'll go to one. I just want to see the dancing. Period.
    ilja and sparklete like this.

It's hard coming off the All Stars season where, on first night, everyone was at the level where they ended their own seasons. I saw quite a few last night who will improve and a couple who won't. It should be an interesting season.
    karalott, NCLurker and ilja like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I know we're all posting our own impressions etc so I'm going to say that I had a slightly different reaction to Sean than most here seem to.

In my IMO:

First of all I am no huge Sean fan. I just want him and Catherine to be happy.

That said, I had no expectations for Sean at all. I was sure he was going to clomp around like a combo of Bigfoot and DL Hughly (sorry!) but instead I saw him moving to the music and being a lot more in apparent control of his partner than the other males were last night. (The ballroom people are always telling us that the male contestants have it harder than female contestants because in addition to dancing the men have to look like they're leading.) I thought that Sean made a passable attempt at that.

Finally I was surprised and pleasantly so at how much bigger his personality was while dancing than it ever was on the Bach. He seems able to project his personality in a way that a lot of people who are new to performing do not know how to do.

When I add his (relative)flexibility of movement which also surprised me, I think we might see some decent dancing from Sean. At the very least he seems open to doing whatever it takes to actually do the dancing.

A very pleasant surprise all around. He could turn out to be a complete failure but having done some performing myself that willingness to lay it all out there means a lot to me. I hope he gets to stay around long enough to prove me right about his potential.
    As some may recall ... I never cared much for Sean or found him particularly attractive.... on Emily's season or his own!

So I want to underscor here what you are saying and what I said a few posts up. Let's give him a chance.

Sean earned 19 judges points ... and is right in the middle of the leaderboard pack and frankly ... I didn't think any of the men did all that well.

You call it openness and willingness ... and I called it commitment. I didn't see that level in either Jacoby Jones or Ingo who scored marginally above him. Eye candy doesn't count.

Comparatively speaking, and stealing Len's words .... Len said Jacoby was all icing and no cake ... I think Sean has the cake just needs a little icing.
    rileymeboy, judkay, ilja and 2 others like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fan

Echo222 says:
    "Comparatively speaking, and stealing Len's words .... Len said Jacoby was all icing and no cake ... I think Sean has the cake just needs a little icing."

Well said. I hope we do see this happening. If Sean does improve in the areas we've mentioned he could be a real joy to watch.
    judkay likes this.

Regarding Sean: The one thing that stood out to me about him was that he really seemed to be having fun. This is huge for me on this show. If you're not having fun & only there to win or prove a point, go home!
    If Sean's dancing improves & becomes more comfortable for him he'll be great to watch.

As to the others: I know so few of them that who they are doesn't influence me.
    Only a few were standouts for me. Ingo did great for first dance, Kellie was pretty good too, & Disney Girl, while irritating, did great, Football Guy could be quite good too if he learns to stand up straight & control his all-over-the-placeness, Olympic Gymnast Girl may have been good, but that awful costume was just too distracting.

Sorry I don't remember all the names, but as I said, I just don't know these people. If they turn out to be keepers, I will.
    Midol likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Some quick thoughts:

Disney girl - impressive and will be an interesting match with Val. Still, I think they should set the minimum age to 18.

Ali - everytime I saw her on the balcony I said "she looks just like Bristol!" Same hair, same dress style, same makeup. Note to producers: don't do that!

Andy - never heard of him but glad to see he was more pleasant than many expected.

Football guy - pretty good, and will have a city voting for him.

Dorthy - nice enough but based on that I have some concerns about her on more atheletic dances.

Derek - okay, Derek is the bigger star of this couple--I don't know his partner. But she was very good. If she has fans she will go far.

Sean - I just watch for his girlfriend.

Victor - They traded Lindsay for Chelsie? Huh?

Kym and some guy I don't know: Nicely matched.

Judd & Lisa - no interest

The only reason I was looking forward to last night was to see Ingo and Sean. I have loved Ingo since he first showed up on GH. And while he is so not my type (not a big fan of blue eyes and blond hair), for some reason he has always been the exception to me. Maybe it is the Australian thing!! It helps that he is a nice guy. I thought he did a great job last night and will stick around for a while.

Sean - he danced like what I would expect a typical guy to dance like - who has never danced like this in the past. I do think he will get better as he gets more comfortable with himself and what he is doing.

The rest I honestly didn't care for before watching the show. I will say today that I was pleasantly surprised last night. I enjoyed, for what they were, all the dances last night. I liked that it doesn't appear like we have any attitudes this season, at least not yet. I was really not looking forward to Andy Dick making a jacka** of himself again and cause controversy. Imagine my surprise when he started talking and basically said he was a jacka** in the past, admitted that he deserved the downfall he suffered, that he has now gotten sober and is grateful or any opportunity! Did I think he was a great dancer? No. But I was very surprised at the person who showed up last night. If he is serious and this was not an act, I am willing to give him a chance.
    dzigner and ilja like this.

+ Reply to Thread