+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Aly Raisman & Mark Ballas - Season 16

Re: Aly Raisman & Mark Ballas - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by alex2155 View Post
    For one if you noticed before the dances and dance off pairs were even "picked" Zendaya already had on her jive shoes. And Aly had on her Cha Cha dress. Ingo and Sean looked costumed for rhumba as well.
    But also in the post show interviews several of the pros and celebs mentioned how they decided it in advance because most couples had certain dances they preferred and it worked out well because it was pretty much 2 of them wanted cha cha and two wanted jive and two wanted rhumba. Also a few of the pros and celebs tweeted about it after as well. Sharna tweeted aly and mark thanking them for picking them first because they wanted first pick to pick cha cha.

As for Vals comments I think he just did that for drama. He knew how the pairings were going to come down before hand and just used that as an opportunity to try to make himself and Zendaya look good since they would be going against a higher scoring couple than Aly and Mark. I really didn't like Val last season, but this season he hasn't bothered me too much--mainly because I believe he is happy he finally got a good partner. But he is definitely starting to rub me the wrong way again.
    Thanks for your explanation. While I would not be surprised, I still personally consider this speculation.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Thanks for your explanation. While I would not be surprised, I still personally consider this speculation.
    I agree. We don't know, it's quite possible after listening to Mark's explanation that he rushed over to Andy to tell him he needs to do the Cha Cha, because in the rehearsal package Andy said he wanted to do the Jive. I remember his words to Sharna,"Let's just concentrate on a 40 second kick-ass Jive" Mark could have talked him out of it, for all we know, since Aly had yet to do the jive.

There's no question Jacoby and Zendaya would have been just as comfortable with the Cha Cha, or Jacoby could have kicked ass on the Rumba against the two that did dance it.

What is clear, Jacoby and Zendaya went head to head because it was the right thing to do.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I'm not sure what's going on. But, I don't like it. Either:

1. Mark & Aly chose the lowest ranked couple to compete against, and therefore they are stinkers, and deserve the backlash.
    2. DWTS set the dance offs up ahead of time. If so, why bother to pretend that the couples were choosing? Just say that you pulled names out of a hat or something. And, what about Val's "Let's pick on someone our own size" comment? DWTS had already rigged things to give Kellie immunity and boot Andy, so what's the point?

So, I'm either annoyed with Mark & Aly specifically for their behaviour AND DWTS for the whole smarmy set up to be sure Andy got the boot...
    OR
    I'm super annoyed with DWTS for their B.S. in setting up such a travesty and then having the couples lie about it.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

If you watched the AfterBuzz show for the week, Mark explains (in a clip) that during the commercial break the couples (not the show) were scrambling to figure out who they would choose to dance against and what they would dance. (Which is why V knew to have her high-tops on.) As in, "Oh, you want to dance jive? Us too!" or "We really don't want rumba!"

Shirley Ballas also commented on that comment Val made about "pick on someone our own size" was a little in jest and a little bit of a dig at Mark. She's coached all those pros in the past and said that they are competitors and have competed against each other for years so it was more of a little snark - but not mean spirited. And she said it was just smart for Mark to pick someone like Andy whom he KNEW he could beat because he's responsible for getting his partner to the next week. They also commented on the show that, let's be serious, Andy wouldn't have beat ANY of the top scorers he would've danced against.

One thing I got from the AfterBuzz show is that, even though it is competitive, the pros are all long-time friends and take little comments far less seriously than we do!

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    If you watched the AfterBuzz show for the week, Mark explains (in a clip) that during the commercial break the couples (not the show) were scrambling to figure out who they would choose to dance against and what they would dance. (Which is why V knew to have her high-tops on.) As in, "Oh, you want to dance jive? Us too!" or "We really don't want rumba!"

Shirley Ballas also commented on that comment Val made about "pick on someone our own size" was a little in jest and a little bit of a dig at Mark. She's coached all those pros in the past and said that they are competitors and have competed against each other for years so it was more of a little snark - but not mean spirited. And she said it was just smart for Mark to pick someone like Andy whom he KNEW he could beat because he's responsible for getting his partner to the next week. They also commented on the show that, let's be serious, Andy wouldn't have beat ANY of the top scorers he would've danced against.

One thing I got from the AfterBuzz show is that, even though it is competitive, the pros are all long-time friends and take little comments far less seriously than we do!
    Thank you for this.
    Any of the pros that picked Andy would have the same backlash , it was Andy's time to go. They all have to go. I am over it, but I still think the fix was in, and will likely take a break from this show, as I have others
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post

I came to the conclusion AFTER I saw the afterbuzz show that Mark was doing a heck of a lot of backtracking, and Shirley was fluffing it off as if Andy was going anyway, so who cares? Well Andy cares. He wanted to stay another week, and he wanted to Jive. I still think if he was allowed to Jive against Sean there was a chance it would have been Sean going home. But because Mark was so hot to get that Cha Cha against Andy, he didn't have a chance. Similarly, Val and Zendaya COULD have chosen Sean or Ingo to either Jive or Cha Cha against, but he took the higher ground, opening the door for either Ingo or Sean to get some points.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-03-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Oh, and as far as Andy being life long friends with some of the cast, in his interview today on Access Hollywood, he sounds more like he was thrown under the bus:

“I’m just gonna be honest — I feel that there are people that are on show that I could have been a better dancer than,” Andy told Kit Hoover and Billy Bush on Friday’s Access Hollywood Live. “I think there a people that have hit their plateau – a couple of them. I still have potential. I was still growing

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Andy, the Delusional. Yes, others (Sean and Ingo) have reached their plateaus, but so had Andy. It was just a matter of scores, votes and the order in which they leave.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think the point is he could have been competitive against Sean in the dance off.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I think the point is he could have been competitive against Sean in the dance off.
    I just can't see it. The difference in abilities & improvement between all of them & Andy was growing each week.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast