+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 131
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

  1. #101
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,709

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Cheryl has been tweeting they are working 5-7 hours a day and he is on tour.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  2. #102
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    384

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Cheryl has been tweeting they are working 5-7 hours a day and he is on tour.
    I think that may be more hours than some others are putting in each day.

  3. #103
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,885

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    I can't stand to watch the judges criticize DL. It's not helpful. Give the guy some constructive criticism, something he can work with to improve his dancing. Just beating him down is never going to help his dancing, and if they're trying to be snarky that's also a fail. Snark should be witty and funny (see Tom Bergeron), not cruel and vicious. Look, the guy is a horrible dancer. He knows that. Let's try to help him since it looks like his fans aren't sending him home any time soon.
    It's almost as though the judges watched one of D.L's comedy acts and are trying make him pay for every snarky thing he ever said in one of his comedic acts, by snarking all over him at the judges table. In other words, dumb.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  4. #104
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    I can't understand blaming Cheryl's choreography for DL's shortcomings. She can only work with what she's given. She's got her hands full with him and his lack of skills/ability. I am a DL fan, but the man can't MOVE!
    Florimel and RBmumsie like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  5. #105
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,117

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    It is fine for judges to be critical, but it doesn't do one bit of good for the guy to get told he's no good and give him nothing constructive to work on. They gave the guy nothing. They knew Dorothy wasn't good with her injury but did they act like that with her? Not on your life. If anything they encouraged her.
    This is exactly my point from earlier. Nobody should give him unearned praise, but the criticism should be constructive. Give him something definite to take back to rehearsal and improve on for next week. As it is, he just has to stand there and take being degraded for some kind of sick reason. He knows he's not a great dancer, but the judges are in a position to give him information that might help him get better.

    Why kick a dog when he's down?
    prhoshay and bee stung lips like this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

  6. #106
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    384

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I can't understand blaming Cheryl's choreography for DL's shortcomings. She can only work with what she's given. She's got her hands full with him and his lack of skills/ability. I am a DL fan, but the man can't MOVE!
    I don't blame Cheryl at all. She's helped a lot of contestants do much better than they ever expected to.

    I do wonder about the choice of that raised stage, which I suspect may not have been her idea. For me all it did was make DL's dancing problems much more obvious. And I don't think she would have done that on purpose.

    From what we've seen before she's all about protecting her "guys" while they try to improve their skills.

    I really hope DL can do better next week. I'd like to see him continue to improve and to get some decent feedback from the judges. I know he's trying but if he can't improve for whatever reason, then I guess he would be the next logical person to go.

  7. #107
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,432

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    I do not think Len is a bully by any means. I think he reacts more when he sees a contestant he thinks is not trying hard enough to learn. Of all three judges, he is my favorite because he knows what he's talking about, unlike Carrie Ann.

    I did not know who DL was before the show and since I love Cheryl, I was hoping he'd be a little better. She's been able to bring out the best in all her partners, weak or strong, and she knows how to choreograph to play up their strengths and mask their weaknesses, but she has to have something to work with and I don't think she has here.

    I know nothing about DL's comedy style. Is he an unkind comic like Kathy Griffin or Joan Rivers? If so, then he should know how to take it as well as give it out. If not, then he should still be accustomed to the harsh criticism stand-up comics have always received from critics, who either love them or hate them. I'm simply not enjoying watching him on DWTS.
    ilja likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  8. #108
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    384

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I do not think Len is a bully by any means. I think he reacts more when he sees a contestant he thinks is not trying hard enough to learn. Of all three judges, he is my favorite because he knows what he's talking about, unlike Carrie Ann.

    I did not know who DL was before the show and since I love Cheryl, I was hoping he'd be a little better. She's been able to bring out the best in all her partners, weak or strong, and she knows how to choreograph to play up their strengths and mask their weaknesses, but she has to have something to work with and I don't think she has here.

    I know nothing about DL's comedy style. Is he an unkind comic like Kathy Griffin or Joan Rivers? If so, then he should know how to take it as well as give it out. If not, then he should still be accustomed to the harsh criticism stand-up comics have always received from critics, who either love them or hate them. I'm simply not enjoying watching him on DWTS.
    It's been a while since I've seen him perform on tv but from what I remember he's more of a "smart-aleck" than an insult guy. I did enjoy his work and also one of his tv shows which I think was called "Meet the Hughleys" or something like that. I hope he is getting what he needs from this experience.

  9. #109
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,885

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I know nothing about DL's comedy style. Is he an unkind comic like Kathy Griffin or Joan Rivers? If so, then he should know how to take it as well as give it out. If not, then he should still be accustomed to the harsh criticism stand-up comics have always received from critics, who either love them or hate them. I'm simply not enjoying watching him on DWTS.
    Being able to "take it" isn't the issue. This isn't about tit for tat, it's about the judges giving constructive criticism so he can work on improving. If they're not giving him any then they what's the point?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  10. #110
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: D.L. Hughley & Cheryl Burke - Season 16

    He is in the movie Kings of Comedy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.