+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Dorothy Hamill
    Season 16

Pro: Tristan MacManus

Dorothy Hamill captured the Gold Medal at the 1976 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria at the age of 19. Overnight, she became one of those rare champions who transcended her sport and captured the country’s imagination.

Still, she has said she is most proud of her World Championship title in Gothenburg, Sweden, which followed her Olympic win. At that time, everyone had advised her to retire from amateur competition, saying that even a second place finish would tarnish the luster of her Olympic gold. Characteristically, once she set her mind to it, she would not be dissuaded, and won.

As a professional, Hamill has skated with many productions, including the Ice Capades for eight years. Four ABC primetime television specials have been produced in her honor and she has produced and starred in her own touring productions of Cinderella — Frozen in Time, Hansel, Gretel, the Witch and the Cat, and Nutcracker on Ice. She won an Emmy Award for her lead role in Romeo and Juliet.

Hamill has been inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame and the Figure Skating Hall of Fame. She was very proud to run the torch at Olympic Stadium in Salt Lake City in 2002 and skate the closing ceremonies with vocalist Harry Connick Jr. Recently, Hamill released her memoir A Skating Life: My Story, which made The New York Times best-seller list.

Meet the Cast - Dancing With The Stars 16 at ABC.com

Re: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

They forgot to mention that she inspired a hairdo (The Wedge), an ice skating move (The Hammill Camel) and was the celebrity endorser of Short 'n Sassy shampoo. She is one person I associate positively with my Jr. High years.
    Tobi, beerbelly, MFWalkoff and 2 others like this.

She is still young at 56 but she is also a breast cancer survivor, diagnosed and treated in 2008. Not too long ago she said she still suffered from side effects ... such as fatigue ... of the "treatments" which included radiation, and clinical trials for various medications. I really hope she does well.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Love her.

Love Tris.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll do.

ETA . . .

Only thing is, she's such a beloved, all-American icon, I hope Tris can get past that and really work her and put her out there and make her SHINE.

They BOTH deserve that
    BTW, RBmumsie, rileymeboy and 1 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I'm loving this pairing.
    BTW, rileymeboy, Jaceegirl and 1 others like this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    She is still young at 56 but she is also a breast cancer survivor, diagnosed and treated in 2008. Not too long ago she said she still suffered from side effects ... such as fatigue ... of the "treatments" which included radiation, and clinical trials for various medications. I really hope she does well.
    She's skating with Star on Ice this season--in fact, is featured on the poster for this season. If she can keep up with that, she must be able to deal with fatigue to some degree.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Love her.

Love Tris.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll do.

ETA . . .

Only thing is, she's such a beloved, all-American icon, I hope Tris can get past that and really work her and put her out there and make her SHINE.

They BOTH deserve that
    Dorothy's a competitor. If he doesn't push her, I suspect she'll push him to push her. She's also used to being a disciplined worker which should help. They keep giving Tristan the older female competitors, but I'm willing to bet Dorothy is in better shape and more capable of handling choreography than Nancy Grace or Gladys Knight could dream of being.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Dorothy's a competitor. If he doesn't push her, I suspect she'll push him to push her. She's also used to being a disciplined worker which should help. They keep giving Tristan the older female competitors, but I'm willing to bet Dorothy is in better shape and more capable of handling choreography than Nancy Grace or Gladys Knight could dream of being.
    Absolutely agreed!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I will follow the show this season because of her. I met her a few times and she is just as sweet in real life as she appears to be on TV. I'm glad she's paired with Tristan who I also like. Go Dorothy!
    ilja and EnglishCadbury like this.

I love her. Cancer survivor and icon to all. I hope she does better than martina navratilova (who I also adored)
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast