+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

FORT Fogey

Re: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I would not be surprised to see her drop out because of her injuries. Cyst on her spine and ankle problems just do not bode well for her longevity.
    Pats self on back. And I didn't join the pool this season, damn.

Hehe Shoepie. I am sorry to see her go. I loved her back in the day when she was competing. Sounds like she really wasn't ready for this kind of physical competition. Cyst on her spine - no wonder she looked off balance. I knew it didn't have anything to do with her training as a figure skater. I hope she heals up quickly.
    Florimel likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    That's because we have more to lose.
    We are also way smarter .We know our bodies
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I am so sad to see Dorothy go. She exited with grace and humility and conducted herself with class. For those who don't know her this is what she has always been about. I know she has had health issues in the past and fought through them. I'm sure she will do so again. She did mention that she might return at some time in the future when she is healthy. I would like to see that.

Since there is no one else on the season that I care about I will likely only watch sporadically the rest of this season. I'll let the disney kid, the pseudo-stars from reality shows that are trying to extend their 10 minutes of fame, and the rest battle it out.

See you all next season.
    Florimel likes this.

I was preparing for her leaving since Monday night, but I am still sad... geez, Tristan had a lovely partner in Dorothy, if she was well I'm sure she would have went the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I am so sad to see Dorothy go. She exited with grace and humility and conducted herself with class. For those who don't know her this is what she has always been about. I know she has had health issues in the past and fought through them. I'm sure she will do so again. She did mention that she might return at some time in the future when she is healthy. I would like to see that.

Since there is no one else on the season that I care about I will likely only watch sporadically the rest of this season. I'll let the disney kid, the pseudo-stars from reality shows that are trying to extend their 10 minutes of fame, and the rest battle it out.

See you all next season.
    See you.Thank you for some great posts!
    -Andy Rooney-

This post missed the time cut yesterday and MFWalkoff was kind enough to save it for me. (Thank you. MFW !)

Although Dorothy's balance is no longer an issue, I still think that her own fear supplemented the Doctor's advice in making her decision.

Originally Posted by Fanny Mare
    Kristi was younger, as we age we fear more.
    Originally Posted by mesachickWhich has absolutely nothing to do with balance. She's dancing for goodness sake, not walking a tightrope 5 feet above ground. I have always been a fan of Dorothy, but I don't buy this balance excuse. And now she has some kind of injury this week. I thought she danced better this week than last.

You know ... I fractured a femur Seven (7) months ago ... and the bone and the X-rays say that the bone and surgical repair are all healed. BUT ... I am still fearful when walking on solid, flat, dry surfaces. I don't want to fall again.

So ... I'm talking about just walking for goodness sake, not walking a tightrope 5 feet above ground. It may be hard to understand if you've not been there done that.

She even said something like she didn't feel anything but it was in her head/mind. I totally empathize ... in fact when people ask I tell them my mind hasn't accepted that my body is all better.

So that fear has a LOT to do with balance.
    nanarama, ilja, Photobabe and 1 others like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I am sorry to hear that. My sister in law has the same problem
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post

Not to beat a dead horse about the balance issue, but I was a crazy tree climber when I was young. So much so that I would climb tall trees all the way to the top where they would sway with my weight. (What were my parents thinking allowing that?) I had no fear of heights. Great balance. Even as recently as 10 years ago I painted the top of my two story foyer on a ladder. No big deal.

Now after some knee problems and with age, my balance is shot. I can hardly step into a pair of pants without holding on to something and I get white-knuckle terrified when I have to climb up on to my two foot wide plant shelf to decorate for Christmas because I'm not steady enough. When you're young it can be hard to imagine this change, but it's real. (And I'm not a whole lot older than Dorothy.)

Add the fact that Dorothy trained for years in a sport that kept her center more forward, I can totally see that this was an issue.

Having said that, she and Tristan were my favorites to watch and I'm sad it became necessary to leave, but glad she put her long-term health first.
    echo226, ilja, Photobabe and 1 others like this.

Well I hope whatever health issues she has to deal with, they are taken care of.

Also, Tristan, whoever is doing your hair all puffy and high, tell them to stop it!!
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread