+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Re: Dorothy Hamill & Tristan MacManus - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Here's my only issue about the skating and balance... Kristi was also an olympic skater, yet she had zero problems with her balance. So I'm not sure how much merit I can put into that argument. I have always loved Dorothy, but she seemed so not confident, it was odd to see. I hope she figures it all out though. I was hoping she'd be on the show for awhile.
    Kristi was younger, as we age we fear more.
    NCLurker, ness and Photobabe like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I really enjoyed Dorothy and Tristan and love this pairing. Dorothy is like America's sweetheart and she just inspires me. Just like in the 70′s when she ice skated, she took my breath away. We are both breast cancer survivors and when she said she watched Kristi Yamaguchi's season and that was what she drew strength from I totally knew what she meant. Contemporary is a new dance for all of them and while I don't expect to see the same caliber that one might see on SYTYCD I feel that all of the pros will get better at choreographing the style as well as the judges giving the scores. I think the same will be true for jazz as both of these dances are new to the DWTS lineup. I know Dorothy was nervous for her first performance, but I do expect and really hope to see her get more relaxed and be able to stay for a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Kristi was younger, as we age we fear more.
    I agree with this. Also, as a cancer survivor myself I am more cautious just about everyday movement. I am also a dancer and I think definitely as the weeks continue Dorothy will become more confident. Dorothy did double duty with Stars on Ice so she probably wanted to get more studio time in and didn't. Also, the point was made on another board that Dorothy comes from the "elegant skater" age, whereas Kristie needed to really develop her artistry in order to compete against the power skaters of her time as she didn't have a triple axle like Midori Ito. Kristie need huge artistic impression marks to overcome the technical deficit, so she took the study of dance movement seriously. Also, Kristie was a pairs skater her partner was Rudy Galindo, prior to them both becoming singles skaters. Having the opportunity to skate with a partner, while not dancing per se, gave Kristie that opportunity to partner and understand how the partner and you work in tandem.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I agree with this. Also, as a cancer survivor myself I am more cautious just about everyday movement. I am also a dancer and I think definitely as the weeks continue Dorothy will become more confident. Dorothy did double duty with Stars on Ice so she probably wanted to get more studio time in and didn't. Also, the point was made on another board that Dorothy comes from the "elegant skater" age, whereas Kristie needed to really develop her artistry in order to compete against the power skaters of her time as she didn't have a triple axle like Midori Ito. Kristie need huge artistic impression marks to overcome the technical deficit, so she took the study of dance movement seriously. Also, Kristie was a pairs skater her partner was Rudy Galindo, prior to them both becoming singles skaters. Having the opportunity to skate with a partner, while not dancing per se, gave Kristie that opportunity to partner and understand how the partner and you work in tandem.
    I think she is great, she is very graceful, and I think in the coming weeks, we have a lot to see from her .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fan

EnglishCadbury:
    Thanks for this post. You make a lot of good points and you bring up a lot of things I didn't know about skating and about the differences between the kind of skating Dorothy was trained to do versus how Kristie was trained.

I learned a lot from this post.

(Congrats on being a cancer survivor. Sending good thoughts your way.)

And Thank You. My diagnosis was Entrometrial Carconoma (cancer of the Uterus) but it was detected early and surgery got it all. I am so blessed and lucky. However, I do know that I have to be more vigilant about medical exams and move quickly upon detection. The recovery was a few months and I am more cautious as a result.

As for Dorothy vs. Kristie we also know that Kristie was 36 when she competed on DWTS (she's 41 now) as 20 years Dorothy's junior, so I know why Dorothy likes to keep expectations lower. We don't want to think she is another Kristie Yamaguchi who's going to just dominate the competition. Moreover, Kristie's rivals had no dance training to speak of, Dorothy is up against 3 very young women who have had some form of dance throughout their lives, as well as a popular NFL'r. It makes a big difference.
    ilja likes this.

I remember Kristie and Rudy as a pairs team when they were very young and both did pairs and singles. He was pretty unhappy when she decided to focus on singles only, but he ended up having a pretty good singles career himself, though not as good as hers.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fan

And Thank You. My diagnosis was Entrometrial Carconoma (cancer of the Uterus) but it was detected early and surgery got it all. I am so blessed and lucky. However, I do know that I have to be more vigilant about medical exams and move quickly upon detection. The recovery was a few months and I am more cautious as a result.

As for Dorothy vs. Kristie we also know that Kristie was 36 when she competed on DWTS (she's 41 now) as 20 years Dorothy's junior, so I know why Dorothy likes to keep expectations lower. We don't want to think she is another Kristie Yamaguchi who's going to just dominate the competition. Moreover, Kristie's rivals had no dance training to speak of, Dorothy is up against 3 very young women who have had some form of dance throughout their lives, as well as a popular NFL'r. It makes a big difference.
    EnglishCadbury: you're welcome It's great that you are here and healthy.

And your post brings up even more good points about Dorothy "versus" Kristie. Are you by any chance an ice skater or involved in that world? Your posts are spot on and very knowledgable. I look forward to learning more from you.

@Orion Nebula, no I'm not a skater or from that world, I'm just a big fan of the sport.

As a skater I can relate to Dorothy's comments. Skaters always balance on a slightly bent knee with their foot flat. Dancers balance in a much more upright posture with the weight over the ball of the foot. It is different. Kristi just got used to the transition extraordinarily quickly, but even she commented on the difference during her competitive season. I predict that Dorothy will get better as the season progresses. She has excellent core strength - cancer notwithstanding - and her upper body posture and elegance will keep her in it until she figures out her balance point.
    Shoepie, Arielflies and ilja like this.

+ Reply to Thread