+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Jacoby Jones & Karina Smirnoff - Season 16

Re: Jacoby Jones & Karina Smirnoff - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    While I agree that Jacoby is probably the best male dancer this season, I can't help but still get the arrogant vibe from him.

Since I'm not a football fan, (sorry) I didn't know anything about him beforehand. And aside from his mother being cold and rude to a paparozzo early in the season, I 'm still getting the impression that he thinks he's hot stuff. And I don't feel like that about all football players. For example, I loved Hines Ward.

This week he was in an interview with George from "On the Red Carpet." George asks (what he asked everyone) what would keep Jacoby from winning it all, and Jacoby sticks his Super Bowl ring in George's face and says, "You see that? That's a Super Bowl ring. You don't get that without hard work. I'm a hard worker." And then he literally walked away from the interview.

For those of you who really like him, I'm sorry and not trying to be contentious, but I don't get it! He seems so full of himself! I would vote for any of the other males before him because they come off as more likeable.
    There is something I don't like about him , but its not his dancing- I like him better when he doesn't speak.
    ilja likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I can see how he is seen by some as arrogant, because he answers every question like a competitive athlete. He needs pointers on how to carry himself like a public figure if he wants to conquer arenas off the field. He doesn't seem too engaged in the person interviewing him, nor does he seem like he cares how he is coming across to his audience. Hopefully he can pick up some tips on being more self-aware when it comes to his personality. If he is going to tackle the game of celebrity, it won't matter if he's the best human being on Earth if he can't seem likeable to those who don't already know everything about him.
    nanarama likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Okay, I just watched the video to try and give him another chance on my opinion of his arrogancy and I have to say that it just reinforced what I saw from him the first couple of shows. The way he brought up being a Super Bowl winner and the way he just took off afterwards, just excuded arrogance to me.

The thing is I don't despise him or anything because I admire how much he wants to be a good daddy to his son and I do often enjoy his dancing. But I don't like him either. To me he has an attitude and that's what bothers me about him.

First of all, I want to say again that I really don't want to offend any fans of Jacoby's but this forum is for us to share our opinions.

I rewatched the video several times. My bad, he didn't stick out his ring, but he did walk away from the interview. There was no, "Let me ask this one last question and then you can leave," with Jacoby then exiting after his answer. He flat-out walked away. Yes, Karina followed him after he left with the "Do polar bears poop on ice?" comment. But that was after Jacoby had walked away. Did any of the other stars walk away during their interviews? Not one that I can remember. And certainly not that abruptly.

He may be the nicest guy in the world, but the image I get of him as someone who knew nothing about him before the show and only knowing what I see in conjuction with the show is that he comes of a being arrogant. There have been plenty of atheletes on the show in the past (including football players) who didn't give off that vibe.

MF made a very good point that he needs to learn that when you're in the public eye, you need to be careful what you (or your "people") say, how you say it and be aware how things can be misconstrued. Trash talk and the appearance of arrogance work better on the football field than in a competition such as this where your likeability is key to success.
    ilja likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think the points you're making are worth thinking about. The Football players who are winners or even #2 place (and there's many) all talked smack on the football field, with an interesting helping of self promotion. But what the guys that have done well on this show have learned, if they want to appeal to a broader audience they have to temper the locker room high jinks or how they have interacted with the media in the past. To a broader audience Jacoby's antics can start to feel like outsiders on his inside jokes. Footballers all exude confidence, but if they want to have careers as broadcasters (Hines and Emmitt come to mind) then Jacoby is going to need to work on his patterns of speech and announciate clearly. Jacoby is still young and a player, not nearing the end of his career like Hines Emmitt or Donald, and so he's still in that sort of team player at all costs mode, not really thinking about post-football career, but he'll need to stay sharp for product endorsements.

But I also think Jacoby has real potential of winning, as long as keeps the fans on his side. There's always going to those that won't vote for him, it's the ones who he's starting to alienate that he needs to get back.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Jacoby is still young and a player, not nearing the end of his career like Hines Emmitt or Donald, and so he's still in that sort of team player at all costs mode, not really thinking about post-football career, but he'll need to stay sharp for product endorsements.

But I also think Jacoby has real potential of winning, as long as keeps the fans on his side. There's always going to those that won't vote for him, it's the ones who he's starting to alienate that he needs to get back.
    I think you've hit it on the head.

Yep, football players talk a LOT of smack, etc. Guys, in general, talk a LOT of smack. It's a man (!) thing. Jacoby, however IS still only 28 years old. He hasn't even finished marinating, yet. He's still going to have to learn things that Jason, Hines, Donald, Emmitt, et al, probably learned long before they showed up on DWTS. He's going to have to run into walls, I suspect, to learn some of those things, but learn them --- if only for the sake of his son, which trumps a dance contest --- he will.

I always "got" where he was coming from with the mouth, etc., so it never bothered me. Some, it does.

Potential to win? It's there. It is SO there. The man can dance. I DO agree, however, that he'll have to learn how to make himself more likeable to pretty much everyone clear across the board who DOESN'T happen to "get" him for him to win this, I believe.

And I said "make himself more likeable to pretty much everyone clear across the board" because it doesn't matter WHAT he does, or HOW many fans he wins over, there'll STILL be those out there that just dislike him on GP.

That's a fact of life.

I'm rooting for him!
    Last edited by ness; 04-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

See, I don't watch post-show interviews or anything like that, so I judge by what I see on the actual show.

I've grown up around football and football players all my life, so I get it, but I can see how others don't.

I do agree that the fact he is still playing and not past his prime like so many other footballers we've had makes a difference. Trust me, if we would've gotten Emmitt or anyone else at the height of their careers, we probably would've been shocked!

Well, Emmitt probably would've never even done the show at the height of his career in Dallas! Love Emmitt, but lets be real here!

To each his own, as with every contestant on this show! It's always fun to discuss and hear different sides!

Still picking Jacoby for the F3 and possibly a win...really love how he dances! As far as his attitude, I think he will get there. He has always just seemed fun to me in his video packages! Maybe he will pick it up in post show interviews as well.
    ness and Jaceegirl like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    See, I don't watch post-show interviews or anything like that, so I judge by what I see on the actual show.

I've grown up around football and football players all my life, so I get it, but I can see how others don't.

I do agree that the fact he is still playing and not past his prime like so many other footballers we've had makes a difference. Trust me, if we would've gotten Emmitt or anyone else at the height of their careers, we probably would've been shocked!

Well, Emmitt probably would've never even done the show at the height of his career in Dallas! Love Emmitt, but lets be real here!

To each his own, as with every contestant on this show! It's always fun to discuss and hear different sides!

Still picking Jacoby for the F3 and possibly a win...really love how he dances! As far as his attitude, I think he will get there. He has always just seemed fun to me in his video packages! Maybe he will pick it up in post show interviews as well.

Gotcha.

Agreed!

I'm thinking at least F3, too, barring something coming out of left field. NOT being negative, just realistic!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I get the arrogant vibe from him too, but I figure it has a lot to do with the whole football/sports/super bowl thing.

His dancing is great when he applies himself & checks the arrogance at the door, but sometimes it comes out on the dance floor.
    Unfortunately, his posture is attrocious, both in dancing & in standing/moving in general. He needs to work on that.
    ilja likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I get the arrogant vibe from him too, but I figure it has a lot to do with the whole football/sports/super bowl thing.

His dancing is great when he applies himself & checks the arrogance at the door, but sometimes it comes out on the dance floor.
    Unfortunately, his posture is attrocious, both in dancing & in standing/moving in general. He needs to work on that.
    I agree, but football fans dont aways look at the same things we do.Its all about the man
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread