+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Jacoby Jones & Karina Smirnoff - Season 16

Re: Jacoby Jones & Karina Smirnoff - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I will admit that I enjoy his dancing. As far as the comments that he is "arrogant," I think this might be true.

There is a paparazzo named "Henry" who waits to interview the dancers and stars after the shows. I have enjoyed watching his clips because they show the personal side of these people beyond what we are shown on the show's clips.

All the dancers are very friendly to Henry. They speak to him, usually as they are walking and even ask him about himself. Almost every "star" is quite friendly towards him as well. At least thanking him for the nice things he says to them while moving on. The least friendly I've seen recently was that Ingo told him he couldn't talk because he was trying to locate his family.

And then I saw him try to talk to Jacoby (who was with his wife, I guess. Most of the dancers and almost all of the stars going to the afterparty are with someone,) and his wife imperiously said, "No autogarphs! Thank you. Coming through!" And they refused to look or even speak to him at all - even to respond with a "Thanks" when Henry complimented his dance.

Maybe not fair to judge him on that, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I still think he's a good dancer, but he and his entourage certainly gave off an arrogant vibe.
    I know just who you are talking about when you say Henry and I'm sorry that you saw one of the ones where you saw who you thought may be his wife say "No autographs!", etc. I read that Jacoby is not married, but shares a son with his girlfriend of a few years. Apparently, he keeps his personal life private (again what I read).

I watch those videos as well and I haven't seen the particular one that you saw, but have seen a couple. One of them he was walking with his mom, and he did stop several times to sign autographs, and went out of his way to make sure he was getting the right names of the people that asked him to sign more than one or that he had their name correct. He also stopped and took pictures with the ones who requested it. He was very friendly with Henry and everyone he encountered. I saw another one where he was with a larger group of people, but didn't see any females in that one, but he was just as friendly and did the same thing. I understand where the one you saw would leave a bad taste in your mouth and I guess we do judge people the way we see them.

I wish you had seen the ones that I have seen. I also watch the interviews that are done with George and various other interviewers and one thing I have always noticed is how many times both the pros and the celebs make comments about what a great guy Jacoby is. This week they were talking about some sort of pictures he is taking of all of them and the various faces they were making for this project of his. It seemed to be an inside joke.

I also thought it was so sweet when Zendaya put her Queen of Prom ribbon and Jacoby his King of Prom crown on Wynonna when they were saying their goodbyes to her.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Jacoby plays wide receiver, which requires grace and agility. When I look at slow-motion replays, or see photographs of wide receivers leaping for the ball, with arms outstretched and toes pointed, they look like ballet dancers. I wasn't surprised when Jacoby had the graceful dance moves of a ballet dancer.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

To me, Jacoby has seemed like a goofball, I haven't noticed any overwhelming arrogance. And, from what we've seen so far, it looks like he has gone through some rough times.

That said - this guy can DANCE! I'm enjoying watching him and won't be surprised if he makes the finals.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    To me, Jacoby has seemed like a goofball, I haven't noticed any overwhelming arrogance. And, from what we've seen so far, it looks like he has gone through some rough times.

That said - this guy can DANCE! I'm enjoying watching him and won't be surprised if he makes the finals.
    You're not alone, RB.

Don't remember now, specifically, who it was upthread that said that as a football player, it's normal for the guys to talk crap to each other, so that's what Jacoby does. I'm no football maven, but I do know enough to know that guys have NO problem giving each other the business (in OR out of football!), and I just figured that when his mouth got going, he was doing what came naturally, but in a different setting. I never perceived any real seriousness or meanness or "I'm the greatest thing breathing, so you may kiss my shoes, NOW!" from him, at all.

As for the rough times, I got really filled up when he spoke about his father, and how, as a result, he very much wanted things to be different for him and his son.

Dance? Oh, YEAH. I'm getting a kick out of watching him, too. And not only when he dances! I cracked up at the expression on his face when Karina started moving too soon in their dance. That was funny! He and Karina seem to have built a really good rapport/friendship between them, and that helps a great deal, I'd imagine.

And frankly, I see no reason why he can't at least make the finals, either!
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

I have no idea where in this competition Jacoby is going to end up, but my guess is that at the Prom, school dances and wherever he is where there is social dancing, Jacoby has always been the one everybody watches. You don't teach that kind of dancing! He has so much rhythm and that tremendous ability to move that big body and his hips however he wants it to move.

If he learns to control it the way that the judges want it, Jacoby will be one gigantic threat to give the women a run for their money.
    ness and Jaceegirl like this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I have no idea where in this competition Jacoby is going to end up, but my guess is that at the Prom, school dances and wherever he is where there is social dancing, Jacoby has always been the one everybody watches. You don't teach that kind of dancing! He has so much rhythm and that tremendous ability to move that big body and his hips however he wants it to move.

If he learns to control it the way that the judges want it, Jacoby will be one gigantic threat to give the women a run for their money.
    ITA!!!!!!!!!

I am SO thinking Jacoby's gonna give the girls a real wake-up call!

And (hoping his knee stays cool!) I, for one, will be perched on the edge of the sofa with my popcorn and pink lemonade, cheering him and Karina on!
    Photobabe likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    ITA!!!!!!!!!

I am SO thinking Jacoby's gonna give the girls a real wake-up call!

And (hoping his knee stays cool!) I, for one, will be perched on the edge of the sofa with my popcorn and pink lemonade, cheering him and Karina on!
    I would love to join you with your popcorn and pink lemonade - sounds so good!!! I feel like I am saying this about so many of the celebs this season, but there are more of them I never knew before then the ones I do know. I really like Jacoby and I love his dancing. I feel that his movements are so fluid and he seems to glide with them. He is the biggest guy on the show, which they usually say makes it harder for them to dance, but so not true with Jacoby!!!

I totally agree. I first heard about Jacoby after the Super Bowl and saw a wonderful interview with him. I may have already posted this, (sometimes forget where I post things), but that was when I first heard about his momma and just the way he spoke about her as he proudly told the interviewer that his momma cooked 150 plates of her famous gumbo, potato salad, and other things for the whole team. The guy doing the interview said Jacoby should have gotten MVP, but Jacoby said absolutely not, the guy who got it totally deserved it. I don't know the Raven's players well enough to remember who won MVP, but Jacoby showed me by saying what he did that his momma raised him right and he was not arrogant at all. I just liked him! This week when he danced for his adorable son you could see how proud he is to be a daddy and how much he wants to be there for him as a good role model.

I would recommend anyone who doesn't watch After Buzz to watch this week's show. Victor was on as a guest and OMG the funny things that Jacoby and him do while Brooke is interviewing the couple while waiting for the score had me cracking up. Victor and just about everyone I have seen an interview with talks about what a great guy Jacoby is and how much fun they have with him.

I am so glad he has Karina as a partner and you can see how happy she is with him. I am another one who thinks he will give the girls a run for their money and make the finals if he continues along the way he is.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 04-11-2013 at 10:44 PM.

While I agree that Jacoby is probably the best male dancer this season, I can't help but still get the arrogant vibe from him.

Since I'm not a football fan, (sorry) I didn't know anything about him beforehand. And aside from his mother being cold and rude to a paparozzo early in the season, I 'm still getting the impression that he thinks he's hot stuff. And I don't feel like that about all football players. For example, I loved Hines Ward.

This week he was in an interview with George from "On the Red Carpet." George asks (what he asked everyone) what would keep Jacoby from winning it all, and Jacoby sticks his Super Bowl ring in George's face and says, "You see that? That's a Super Bowl ring. You don't get that without hard work. I'm a hard worker." And then he literally walked away from the interview.

For those of you who really like him, I'm sorry and not trying to be contentious, but I don't get it! He seems so full of himself! I would vote for any of the other males before him because they come off as more likeable.

I hear you. I was a huge fan of Hines Ward. I normally like the football players, but yeah, not a big fan of Jacoby. He dances all right, but the attitude. Maybe its the company he keeps, he had Chad Ochocinco in the audience cheering him on. Jacoby reminds me of Ocho. A lotta ego there.

But I think the Jive maybe Jacoby's big win, since they see to give the football players a lot of leaway with improper technique. As long as these big guys can make people smile, they're in there. I remember Driver's triplet dance, and while it was horrible technique it was fun.

I agree that we all see different things in all these celebs and all have our different favorites. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, and if you don't like him you don't like him. I happen to.

This week he was in an interview with George from "On the Red Carpet." George asks (what he asked everyone) what would keep Jacoby from winning it all, and Jacoby sticks his Super Bowl ring in George's face and says, "You see that? That's a Super Bowl ring. You don't get that without hard work. I'm a hard worker." And then he literally walked away from the interview.
    I saw that same interview that you mentioned and Jacoby never stuck his Super Bowl ring in George's face. He never even raised his hand. From what I can see I don't even see a ring on his finger. He simply said: "Don't I have a Super Bowl Ring? Champions work and then Karina said: "Do Polar Bears Poop on Ice?" and left in the amount of time that it took her to say those words, and because it was the end of the interview and both had the very next one to get to. Since his momma and son were there and it was late I am sure he also wanted to get to them after all the interviews were done. I just have to say that Karina had just been saying she doesn't know how Jacoby does it because if he doesn't know a step in practice she doesn't know what he does, but shows up the next morning knowing it. I am guessing he must practice at home as well and his answer reflected that it was all about hard work. I guess it's a matter of if you don't like someone you are going to see certain things and if you like him you will see other things. Again, those that see arrogance have the right to their opinion. Here is a link to the video you mention and if you don't like him that is your right. Having a problem with the link so if it doesn't work I apologize and will try fixing it. If you get to the Red Carpet then go and look for the interviews with Jacoby and Karina after Week 4's dance.

Jacoby Jones on 'champion' attitude after 'DWTS' week 4 (Video) | Video | www.ontheredcarpet.com

Since I'm not a football fan, (sorry) I didn't know anything about him beforehand. And aside from his mother being cold and rude to a paparozzo early in the season, I 'm still getting the impression that he thinks he's hot stuff. And I don't feel like that about all football players. For example, I loved Hines Ward.
    If you find his mother cold because she was rude to the Paparazzi early in the season that is fine. I am not going to judge her on that because I have no idea the circumstances behind it. I see a different side to her when I heard she cooked 150 plates of food for the entire team. I see a mom who clearly loves her son and whose husband walked out on her leaving Jacoby and her alone at a young age. She raised him alone. I see a man who loves his momma and clearly his son and just wants to be a good father to him unlike the father he himself had. Being any kind of athelete demands hard work ethics and football being one of them.

I am going to include some text from an article from the LA Times that Jacoby just did and I don't see a man who is arrogant. Some may, but I don't and will stick up for someone that I happen to see differently.

Q. Your son obviously means a great deal to you. How has having a child changed your life?
    It's really a blessing. To know you have someone that looks up to you it makes you want to work even harder. By not knowing my dad growing up, I look forward to being in my sonís life. I want to be there to teach him the lessons that I had to learn growing up and not let him make those same mistakes.
    Q. How did you feel when Carrie Ann told you that she thinks you can win the whole thing?
    I appreciate that a lot coming from one of the judges. Like I always said, I'm very competitive so it makes me want to continue working hard.
    Q. We are four weeks into the show. Who do you think is your main competition for the Mirror Ball Trophy?
    I think everyone is doing a great job and has a chance. Victor and DL have picked it up, and Andy always puts on a show. Kelly, Zendaya, and Aly are killing it. And then you still have Ingo. It will be an entertaining season. I'm just trying to make it into next week.

I do like him and it's my opinion. I knew nothing about him until the Super Bowl and only saw one interview that he did right after that. I had no idea what he would be like as a dancer, but this man entertains me!!! My opinions of him grew after seeing so many videos and reading so many things from other sites plus the fact that Jacoby Jones is so well liked by all the rest of the celebs and pros. I see this wonderful fun side to him and I love his dancing!!!

Maybe its the company he keeps, he had Chad Ochocinco in the audience cheering him on. Jacoby reminds me of Ocho.
    We can't pretend that we truly know any of these people, but to me other cast members loving him and saying such great things about him and who obviously spend a lot more time with him are the biggest endorsements to me. In every interview with all the other pros or celebs where Jacoby has been mentioned they speak so highly of him. I choose to listen to them. I don't assume that just because Chad Ochocinco was in the audience means they hang together. I saw an interview that Jacoby and Karina did where he talked about how much he loved Hines Ward, Emmit Smith, and Donald. In regards to Chad he said he got down with his dancing. Certainly nothing about what great friends they are and hang together. I know you watch After Buzz because you made a comment about watching it and what Anna and others said regarding Zandaya and her wonderful dancing, etc. Not putting her down because she is wonderful, but this thread is for Jacoby. I watched that same After Buzz episode and did you not hear what Victor said about Jacoby and how much fun they had together with the rest of the cast? I have also read so many comments from people who are from the same area as Jacoby that is just their style and way they all talk and act. His fans adore him and have taught me that you don't necessarily judge a book by it's cover.

I have always loved Karina and her choreography. I haven't seen her have this much fun and be so happy in a season since she had JR. She just did an interview where she compares Jacoby to JR. I loved JR and was so happy that he won in the season he did. I don't know who will win this season, but Jacoby is definitely one of my favorites. Go Jacoby because this fan is rooting and voting for you!

Again all of this is jmho.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 04-13-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    ness, indy1945, KrazeeKy07 and 2 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread