+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Victor Ortiz & Lindsay Arnold - Season 16

Re: Victor Ortiz & Lindsay Arnold - Season 16

I never heard of Victor before DWTS as I am not a fan or follower of boxing. I researched him and learned that while we may not like the sport and wished he had chosen a different path I think Victor had no other path.

Just a little background on him. Some we saw touched on during his package, but I learned more. When Victor was 7years old his mother left the family for another man. His father an alcoholic beat the children because of being so angry at his wife. Shortly after his father insisted Victor take up boxing. Five years later the father abandoned Victor and his 5 siblings. They were put in the Kansas Foster Care System. Victor was just 12 years old. In 2002 his oldest sister became a legal adult and moved to Colorado and Victor and his younger brother left Kansas and moved in with her in Denver, CO.

While there he started training at the Salvation Army Red Shield Community Center where he was noted by former heavyweight boxing contender Ron Lyle who had become a supervisor at the center. In 2003, Lyle guided Ortiz to a Junior Olympics tournament, where, at the age of sixteen, he won the 132-pound weight division with a perfect 5-0 record. This time, he was noticed by another former boxer Robert Garcia who had held the IBF Super Featherweight Championship during the 1990s. Robert Garcia was based in CA, but offered to train Victor and so Victor accepted and moved there. He then trained where he began training at Oxnard's famous La Colonia Youth Boxing Club.

Garcia later became Victor's legal guardian and while there Victor graduated from Pacifica High School. At age seventeen, Ortiz reached the United States Olympic boxing trials in the 132-pound weight class, where he was eliminated in the final stages.

Victor Ortiz turned professional later in 2004 while still only seventeen years of age. When he reached the age of eighteen in 2005 and became a legal adult, he gained custody of his younger brother, who is now a college student. Ortiz continues to reside in CA.

I didn't mean to bore anyone with all the details, but my point is that I think boxing found him and may have actually saved his life. Victor didn't have the life that many other young people are offered. I know my own son played hockey for 13 years, but it was an extremely expensive sport and that was years ago. He later changed to football in high school and went on to play for two years at the University of Nebraska until love struck and he met the love of his life and transferred to the college she attended and ended up becoming a 4th grade school teacher. He is still involved with football as he is a coach for the 8th grade team and runs a summer camp for young kids every summer.

While we may not like the violence of many sports, IMO I think they teach young kids so much. Organized sports can help kids grow in many ways. Sports help children develop physical skills, get exercise, make friends, have fun, learn to play as a member of a team, learn to play fair, and improve self-esteem.

Granted sports are not for everyone, and I think it depends on the child as well as parent involvement to support them if it is something they want to do. Definitely, not a case of trying to relive your own life through your child. If a child has no interest then I never believe a child should be forced to do so.

Back to Victor I really do believe that boxing found him. He may have started out because his alcoholic father forced him to, but I am sure it was an outlet for Victor away from what his home life must have been like. Again, not trying to sway anyone's opinion regarding boxing, but just some information and thoughts and jmho.
    mandmmom2 and ilja like this.

And stories that sweet are just the reason we fell in love with Rocky, whom I still love.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

I liked them, I didn't love them. She is new to this choreography/teaching, and I guess that shows .I think she can dance, he just needs to pull up his boot straps a little more imho
    BTW likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yep, Lindsay's new (and I STILL miss Chelsie!) but she ABSOLUTELY earned my respect for how she managed Victor when he had his meltdown.

Good stuff!

And Victor earned my respect, too, for apologizing, getting his act together, and presenting himself very well in his dance.
    ilja likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Yep, Lindsay's new (and I STILL miss Chelsie!) but she ABSOLUTELY earned my respect for how she managed Victor when he had his meltdown.

Good stuff!

And Victor earned my respect, too, for apologizing, getting his act together, and presenting himself very well in his dance.
    I think this couple worked as a team last night.She reminded me of a young Julianne Hough( not that she's old)
    -Andy Rooney-

What an improvement last night!

So glad to finally see him look a little more comfortable out there!

You go Victor!
    BTW and ilja like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Lindsay was wonderful on SYTYCD, and she was wonderful last night. He has softened, and she has grown,I hope they stick around.
    Coco46 and ilja like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

You gotta love this guy!

He and Lindsay being paired was a really good move, and I hope he continues to steadily improve.

I'm waiting to see how far he stretches next week!
    BTW and ilja like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Lindsay was wonderful on SYTYCD, and she was wonderful last night. He has softened, and she has grown,I hope they stick around.
    That's it exactly. She did used to be so much harder and the softening is quite attractive and much more enjoyable to watch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123