Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Wynonna Judd & Tony Dovolani - Season 16

Re: Wynonna Judd & Tony Dovolani - Season 16

I agree.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Okay, so it's hard for her given all she's been through and apparently is still going through with her husband. I feel for her; I really do. But ya think that maybe, given all of that, this was not the right time for her to take on DWTS? The woman seems either unable or unwilling to move in any sort of way that resembles dancing!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Okay, so it's hard for her given all she's been through and apparently is still going through with her husband. I feel for her; I really do. But ya think that maybe, given all of that, this was not the right time for her to take on DWTS? The woman seems either unable or unwilling to move in any sort of way that resembles dancing!
    If Tony is not showing her limbering up and flexibility exercises then part of it is his fault. He should also be doing specific exercises with her before each rehearsal to loosen her up. Many people simply do not know how to move their bodies or just how flexible their bodies can be. In beginning acting classes one of the first things that is done is to show beginners how much their bodies can move and in how many different directions.

Many people are stunned by this. Seriously.

Some people don't even think they can bend over from he waist and often have not done so for some time. IMO Tony is not helping Wy loosen up or understand just how much she can move if only she will try. During their rehearsal video they showed her barely moving and Tony was gushing over her for doing that. Not a good situation.

Many people think they can't move because their muscles feel so tight. Well their muscles feel tight because they don't get moved. IMO Tony is doing Wy a serious disservice in not helping her loosen up.
    Last edited by Orion Nebula; 04-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    If Tony is not showing ehr limbering up exercises then part of it is his fault. Many people simply do not know how to move their bodies or just how flexible their bodies can be. In beginning acting classes one of the first things that is done is to show beginners how much their bodies can move and in how many different directions.

Many people are stunned by this. Seriously.
    I have faith that as a pro on this show working with non-dancers every season, Tony knows how to help his partners limber up. He just got stuck with the biggest clunker since Kate Gosselin. I hope Wynonna goes home tonight. She is painful to watch, and the worst part is she never seems to take the judges' critiques seriously and she acts somewhat offended by what they're telling her. It's like she thinks she's been wronged by their comments. She hasn't improved one iota and doesn't look like she's trying to.
    NCLurker, Florimel and Arielflies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    AV, I'm leaning toward unable, as in unable to take what she's done in the rehearsal room out onto the floor in performance.

Somebody upthread or in another thread, I believe (and I'm so sorry; I don't specifically recall just WHO that was right this second) made the observation that she seemed to do fine (for what her skills are) in rehearsals, then get on the floor and just move her arms and legs, basically.

That seems right, to me, and I think it's 'cause she freezes when she's out there on the actual performance floor.

And no, I'm not defending her in the wrong, or anything.

But I DO believe she's trying and making an honest effort.

She just doesn't seem to be able to follow through when it comes to actually putting the dance on its feet when it counts.

Just an observation.
    ilja likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fan

Ness: I'm not really disagreeng with you but she didn't look very loose when they were at that concert or club or whatever that was. It's my own opinion that she's gotten used to not moving her body, because for me she doesn't move it all that much during rehearsals. And I am blaming Tony for not helping her with this. He's been like that with other stars, just acceeding to their wishes and personal preferences instead of showing them what dancing really is all about. IMO only of course.

FORT Fogey

I don't see how this can be blamed on Tony. What is he supposed to do? He took her to that club or whatever it was, and she's exposed to all the dancers on the show every day, plus she probably watched the show at least once before she went on it. She should be able to see what dancing is all about ... like for example, it includes moving your body in such a way that it relates to the rhythm of the music. I'd love to see Derek get a partner like her for once.

FORT Fan

Tony should be putting her through a limbering up session before every rehearsal and performance so she can get her body loosened up. All dancers do stretching and limbering up before they dance as do athletes before they play. It's pretty obvious that Tony is not doing this with/for her because she has yet to move side to side or to bend her waist or move her shoulders, all of which would be included in the daily loosening/limbering/stretching exercises.

He's the pro. He's the teacher. It is up to him to show her how to do this and to do this with her.

(If you ever get the chance to see a dance class of any kind or to watch professional dancers of any kind getting ready for a performance or a class you will be amazed at how much time is spent doing limbering/stretching before any dancing is done. Actors also do these exercises before their performances. There are also classes in Movement that specifically teach how the body moves and how to get it to move. A lot of actors take those classes to hone their instrument which is their body.)

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Since we don't see in the clips their full rehearsals, we don't whether Tony does or does not put her through limbering exercises. He said she is trying, and that is what is important to him. Now, whether her defensive attitude will sit well with voters other than her fans remains to be seen.
    NCLurker, Florimel and AlwaysVeg like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

The fact that she never moves her body in any direction except backwards and forwards with no waist bends and no twisting of the torso and no movement of her shoulders and no head movement indicates that she is not being helped to loosen up those muscle groups or even being shown that indeed with some warm up and loosening up exercises that she CAN indeed use those muscle groups. If you know a dancer or anyone involved in any kind of movement ask them to give their critique of how little she moves her body and why.

Someone somewhere on this board said she moves as though she's in a full body cast and that is her teacher's/pro's fault for not showing her how to move differently.

+ Reply to Thread