+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Re: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    She said on Kellie and Michael this morning that she has been training in hip hop and hula since she was eight. In other words for eight years. Do hip hop and hula qualify as extensive training? Anymore extensive than girls who take ballet training or cheer training from age eight?

She is very talented, but not a professional grade all around dancer.
    Her bio says she is a dancer, singer and actress. I think eight years of dance training is extensive but that is my opinion.

Basically, in the professional world she would be considered a triple threat. She was in some sort of professional Dance company for 3 years.

I can't speak to what qualifies as professional ... because if you think about it ... Ali had been doing many years of floor exercise which some may consider dancing. I also think those little girls on Dance Moms ... like Sophia consider themselves "Dancers".

I am not sure then who are "professional grade" dancers ... but certainly not me.
    maude~flanders likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Zendaya was lovely in that interview. I'm glad she has a good attitude about everything. She is a winner in my book.
    EnglishCadbury likes this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Her bio says she is a dancer, singer and actress. I think eight years of dance training is extensive but that is my opinion.

Basically, in the professional world she would be considered a triple threat. She was in some sort of professional Dance company for 3 years.

I can't speak to what qualifies as professional ... because if you think about it ... Ali had been doing many years of floor exercise which some may consider dancing. I also think those little girls on Dance Moms ... like Sophia consider themselves "Dancers".

I am not sure then who are "professional grade" dancers ... but certainly not me.
    I agree with your assessment. She has been taking dance lessons since she was 8, and is still taking them as the show started, so she would be considered a dancer coming in to the competition. It is certainly not the same as a 30 yr old woman coming in to the competition who took a couple of years of ballet classes when they were 8 yrs old. That is completely a different story.
    Also, in gymnastics these days, there is very little dance in the floor routines. That is why the girls are built like they are. It is all about the tumbling and strength. I would think all of those bulky muscles could make them a little less graceful.
    Zendaya had quite a few advantages given to her in this competition, starting with the dance experience. She actually had her dance teacher showing Val how to do her kind of dancing for her freestyle and when they were picked to do hip hop because she already knew how to do it. That was a big advantage because the other stars had to learn new dances both of those times when she already knew how to do hers. Secondly, she and Val never had to do a Rhumba. That is unheard of for a star to get to the end without doing one - no matter how uncomfortable the pairing. But, they exempted her because of her age (maybe they shouldn't have allowed her age into the competition if she couldn't perform all of the dances). And, she danced in tennis shoes instead of dance shoes for most of the dances. The judges usually will subtract points from stars who don't wear the proper shoes, but again, they let it slide because of her age. She got away with a lot. I hope the producers don't continue having 16 year olds in the competition.

Well, my thing with the shoes is, if they let Zendaya do it, then the other stars could've done it..so in no way do I think it was an advantage for her. I saw quite a few bare feet this season as well and nothing was said. I remember when Lance got shredded for bare feet.

And in regards to the rumba, I could careless if she did one or not. Kelly M. didnt do an AT last year, nor did Kellie Pickler do a salsa (hey, Jacoby, Aly, & Z did). I'm sure other couples other seasons didnt do dances...maybe a rumba was never skipped over, but other dances probably have been. I firmly believe if this girl was 21 and wouldn't have had the rumba, no one would've even noticed or said anything about it.

I think her and Val would've killed it had they been given one to do. I was one who said I hoped they wouldn't make them do it, but know had they been given it they would've rocked it! I guess I just don't see the huge deal about it...it's not like they made her sit out rumba week and automatically let her though...she still went out and danced week in and week out.

I enjoyed her and will miss her! I found her to be very mature for her age and wish her nothing but the best in the future! All those darn advantages and she still lost to Kellie!! Damn you ABC for not giving her the blasted rumba, she may have actually won had you!!!!! Lets rig it a little better next year, eh guys?! You gotta follow through to the end!!

Why am I up this early?! Y'all all have a great day!
    Last edited by KrazeeKy07; 05-24-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    SpringMaiden27 and ilja like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

FORT Fogey

In fairness, I think the point being made is that the rumba is considered sultry and sexy. This was the point of much discussion on this board in regards to 17 year-old Shawn as well who was assigned the rumba. Shawn did dance the rumba. As I remember the dance, it was a typical Shawn dance in that it was precise and ra-tat-tat. It did not come across like we would expect an adult couple dancing the rumba to perform, but it was suitable for 17 year-old Shawn. It got her through that assignment, and the judges carried on for all the world like she had performed with all the sizzle one expects from the rumba! She received good, decent scores, but certainly not 10s. I remember us chuckling about it.

In fairness again, I suspect if Zendaya had been assigned a rumba, something similar would have happened. She would have superbly performed a watered down rumba suited to her age, and the judges would "rave" about it as if it were all that it was supposed to be ( sexy and sultry), but she would not get 10s for it because even they know that isn't right.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

If I may ... I probably do not understand the stories behind the dances. In a rhumba is the man seducing the woman or the woman enticing the man?

Either way ... I think if they chose ... an appropriate dance could have been choreographed.

As for Kellie not doing the AT ... that to me is a disadvantage to her.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I agree with your assessment. She has been taking dance lessons since she was 8, and is still taking them as the show started, so she would be considered a dancer coming in to the competition. It is certainly not the same as a 30 yr old woman coming in to the competition who took a couple of years of ballet classes when they were 8 yrs old. That is completely a different story.
    Also, in gymnastics these days, there is very little dance in the floor routines. That is why the girls are built like they are. It is all about the tumbling and strength. I would think all of those bulky muscles could make them a little less graceful.
    Zendaya had quite a few advantages given to her in this competition, starting with the dance experience. She actually had her dance teacher showing Val how to do her kind of dancing for her freestyle and when they were picked to do hip hop because she already knew how to do it. That was a big advantage because the other stars had to learn new dances both of those times when she already knew how to do hers. Secondly, she and Val never had to do a Rhumba. That is unheard of for a star to get to the end without doing one - no matter how uncomfortable the pairing. But, they exempted her because of her age (maybe they shouldn't have allowed her age into the competition if she couldn't perform all of the dances). And, she danced in tennis shoes instead of dance shoes for most of the dances. The judges usually will subtract points from stars who don't wear the proper shoes, but again, they let it slide because of her age. She got away with a lot. I hope the producers don't continue having 16 year olds in the competition.
    Melissa Rycroft did not do a Rumba last season and she won.

Kellie didn't do a Salsa- maybe that's because she has no hip action. Aly did not do the Paso Doble, maybe that's because she doesn't dance well on her own because she can't count the beat. Jacoby did not do the Samba, maybe that's because it is the most difficult of all the latin dances to learn.

Zendaya did not dance in tennis shoes for most of the competition, she danced in Latin heels for Most of the competition. Zendaya is significantly taller than Val and the topline for the dances was very very difficult to sustain. In fact for the Quickstep she had to dance with bent knees to keep the top line steady. Also I've tried dancing the Jive in hightops and it's very tough, you can't turn as easily as you can in Latin heels so that Instant Jive was incredible to be so fast and so on point.

About the previous dance experience, this has been hacked to death. Zendaya is still a kid, she's not a person who has had years and years of experience. Nicole and Mya, and Sabrina all had dance credientials to choreograph and teach. Stacey Kielber had 15 years of dance training, that's pretty much as long as Zendaya has been alive. A dance teacher was brought in, because she is the expert, Zendaya is not a dance expert. Zendaya doesn't know how to teach dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    In fairness, I think the point being made is that the rumba is considered sultry and sexy. This was the point of much discussion on this board in regards to 17 year-old Shawn as well who was assigned the rumba. Shawn did dance the rumba. As I remember the dance, it was a typical Shawn dance in that it was precise and ra-tat-tat. It did not come across like we would expect an adult couple dancing the rumba to perform, but it was suitable for 17 year-old Shawn. It got her through that assignment, and the judges carried on for all the world like she had performed with all the sizzle one expects from the rumba! She received good, decent scores, but certainly not 10s. I remember us chuckling about it.

In fairness again, I suspect if Zendaya had been assigned a rumba, something similar would have happened. She would have superbly performed a watered down rumba suited to her age, and the judges would "rave" about it as if it were all that it was supposed to be ( sexy and sultry), but she would not get 10s for it because even they know that isn't right.
    Lyrical Rumbas are danced all the time. They do not need to be about sexuality. They have been tribute dances in the past to someone who they admire, someone who has passed away, something inspirational. Jonathan and Anna danced in tribute to their dancer friend who died of cancer, it was sort of a waltz/rumba hybird. It can be done, and it would be done if required. To single out Zendaya not doing the rumba as some sort of gift is just silly, the show assigns the dances, the teams don't pick and choose them. Also, she would have already prepared a rumba for the challenge, and I know it would have been excellent technique. Her rumba walks in rehearsal were absolutely beautiful.

Favorite Family picture, what a great ending to a great season of dancing.

Photo by zendayamaree • Instagram

Zendaya has really capitalized on her time on dancing with the stars, there's news items about her all this week. The British Mail On Line has a nice write up, and I love what she had to say about her costumes:

'I wanted to make sure that all my outfits were appropriate because there's young girls watching me, and I want to make sure they can see that you can be beautiful without having to show everything.'

DWTS runner-up Zendaya Coleman stays sunny in mustard Prada dress for talk show circuit in Manhattan | Mail Online
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-24-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Well no wonder I grew to admire and respect Sharna so much. She is one wise, sincere and compassionate woman. The fact that she agrees with me has nothing whatsoever to do with my opinion. dramaqueen.gif
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

+ Reply to Thread