+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Re: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I can't believe people are actually saying they don't like the "ballroom" aspect of the dancing. This is the reason for the show's existence!

I think it was a brilliant idea to take ballroom dancing into the mainstream, so it wasn't just a "PBS thing" (I also resent marginalizing PBS as something that isn't accessible to everyone). It's our culture, and it's important. So many aspects of culture and the arts are being snuffed out by technology, and by what's 'current' and 'trendy'. People need a rich background in arts and culture in order to better appreciate life itself.

If you don't want to see ballroom, then you want to watch another show. DWTS is about ballroom.

Where Zendaya fits into this rant, I'm not sure. She's a good kid and she's picking up the dances really well, so good for her.

It is about ballroom, so where does hip hop fit in- for me it doesn't, along with a few other dances( afro jazz)
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I agree - they're starting to get out of hand introducing other dances into the mix, mostly because they can't attract younger audiences like SYTYCD can. I think they should stop trying, because they never will. They may not get the 18-49 viewers they want, but in turns of total viewers, it's still in the Top 5 of all television. It's not going to disappear anytime soon unless they want to quit themselves.
    ness and EnglishCadbury like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

nana . . .

Had to veer off for a few minutes, but I absolutely agree with both your posts (288 and 299).

MFW and FM, I agree with YOUR posts, too!

Personally, I think TPTB have taken trying to reel in younger SYTYCD viewers has gone way, WAY too far, what with all the non-ballroom dances and the stunt dances they're throwing in, now. They either need to stop ALL of the crap, or put the show out of its misery altogether.

If nothing else, they DEFINITELY need to clean house with The Three!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Last season was a horror show of stunts instead of proper dancing, especially the Quickstep, all because someone could do a sommersault off of a trampoline. Or a tribal dance with an aerial instead of Samba because they liked the music. Oy vey.

At least this season we're getting the essence of Ballroom and Latin.

As far as DWTS looking for a youth demo, they've been doing it since season 2. If it hasn't happened by now, it will never happen. As far as ratings go SYTYCD could never compete with DWTS, that's why you'll never see them on at the same time over a full season. They may start a week or two early to overlap with the interest of DWTS, but never a full season. I say this as a lover of all dance, and I do watch SYTYCD and appreciate them enormously. That's where I thought Chelsie Hightower would be perfect for DWTS.

But I just want to add that if the show does bring in other styles, the good that can come out of it is then they can lay off trying to change Quickstep into a gymnastics routine, or the Samba into some sort of tribal movement without the samba bounce.
    That's why I wasn't against the Jazz or the Contemporary. For these styles you can appreciate Jacoby's natural rhythmn or Kellie's flexibility and not have to worry about ballroom footwork, since ballroom is one of the most difficult styles of dance.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    nana . . .

Had to veer off for a few minutes, but I absolutely agree with both your posts (288 and 299).

MFW and FM, I agree with YOUR posts, too!

Personally, I think TPTB have taken trying to reel in younger SYTYCD viewers has gone way, WAY too far, what with all the non-ballroom dances and the stunt dances they're throwing in, now. They either need to stop ALL of the crap, or put the show out of its misery altogether.

If nothing else, they DEFINITELY need to clean house with The Three!
    I couldn't agree more ness. The stupid banter and shouting is a total embarrassment, nothing anyone young wants to watch
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I never meant to imply I was against ballroom. I was simply stating that I do not know what is required for a proper ballroom dance, that I enjoy the dance just for the sake of the dance.
    NCLurker and ness like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    I never meant to imply I was against ballroom. I was simply stating that I do not know what is required for a proper ballroom dance, that I enjoy the dance just for the sake of the dance.
    You are not alone ilja.
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I can't believe people are actually saying they don't like the "ballroom" aspect of the dancing. This is the reason for the show's existence!

I think it was a brilliant idea to take ballroom dancing into the mainstream, so it wasn't just a "PBS thing" (I also resent marginalizing PBS as something that isn't accessible to everyone). It's our culture, and it's important. So many aspects of culture and the arts are being snuffed out by technology, and by what's 'current' and 'trendy'. People need a rich background in arts and culture in order to better appreciate life itself.

If you don't want to see ballroom, then you want to watch another show. DWTS is about ballroom.

Where Zendaya fits into this rant, I'm not sure. She's a good kid and she's picking up the dances really well, so good for her.

That's hitting the nail on the head, MF! There are plenty of dance shows to watch if ballroom doesn't appeal to a viewer. This is the only show that has (or had) ballroom as a focus. The only two ballroom dances I didn't do in my younger days at school dances or temple dances or parties were Quickstep, which unfortunately had gone out of fashion long before, and Paso, which never was in fashion as a dance for regular people, at least in the U.S.
    ness and Midol like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Wow, that was interesting and informative.

I have read mostly positive things on blogs, Twitter and various social media but sometimes the criticism can really get to me. One of the ones that frustrated me the most is people calling me a professional dancer. I am an actor, but I have never been paid to dance! I danced in a local hip hop troupe when I was 8 years old!! I am grateful for that experience but I can hardly call it a professional one!!

Hmmmmm, now that's different than I was led to believe.
    Shoepie, renzii and EnglishCadbury like this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

+ Reply to Thread