+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Re: Zendaya Coleman & Val Chmerkovskiy - Season 16

Totally agree ness!

Kyle and Z are the only two Disney stars I've ever truly enjoyed! Kyle was, of course, way different than Z, but gosh he was just so likable and he tries so hard and improved so much. Totally earned his final 2 spot, and honestly, I wish he would've taken the mirror ball, just like I would t mind seeing Z take it this season!

Can't wait for the show tomorrow for Team Z!! And of course, her own individual dance!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I think Z might win it all, but I get a bit annoyed when a girl like her, or for that matter Melissa Rycroft or Donnie Osmond are up against true non-dancers...My God- to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader (as was Melissa) you have to be a superb dancer, Donnie danced on his TV show every week, etc etc....It just doesn't seem very fair to me; but I guess the producers can only get so many celebs to commit to so many weeks away from their other gigs, so maybe it is just the reality of the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    I think Z might win it all, but I get a bit annoyed when a girl like her, or for that matter Melissa Rycroft or Donnie Osmond are up against true non-dancers...My God- to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader (as was Melissa) you have to be a superb dancer, Donnie danced on his TV show every week, etc etc....It just doesn't seem very fair to me; but I guess the producers can only get so many celebs to commit to so many weeks away from their other gigs, so maybe it is just the reality of the situation...
    Gotcha, Trumpster.

The same thoughts have crossed my mind.

Only thing is, when you get right down to it, where in showbusiness is it going to be possible to find a good bit of actors, musicians, etc., who HAVEN'T had SOME kind of experience or nodding acquaintance with choreographed numbers, at some point?

SOME kind of choreography, at all?

I mean, WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back in the day, in the old studio system, actors were actually sent to schools or had lessons set up for them to where they had to learn how to fence, dance, perhaps sing, etc. They had to do it ALL, or at least do it well enough to where if a particular role came up, they could play parts that called for specialized talents that they did not possess. And once they got that particular training that was needed, what they did would look believable on the screen, or they could get close-up shots of the actor(s) in question, and you KNEW it was them that was doing it.

For example, let's say this show WASN'T "Dancing With the Stars", but, rather, "Whip-Cracking With the Stars". So, let's say TPTB got Harrison Ford, Michelle Pfeiffer and/or Halle Berry --- by some streak of gold-tinged luck --- to appear on it. Even though none of them could or would be considered a professional or a master at wielding a whip, would they automatically be DQ'd from appearing because they'd had to learn at least a basic mastery of whip skills when they played Indiana Jones or Catwoman in their movies?

Or, to get closer to home, say, Vanessa Williams, JLo, or Richard Gere were tapped to appear on DWTS. I don't think any of the three could --- by any stretch of the imagination --- be considered ballroom dance professionals. Yet, all three had to learn ballroom dancing to appear in movies they did.

Sure, the two examples I've listed above are extremes. Because I don't believe for a second that we'd ever see Ford, Pfeiffer or Berry appearing on a whip masters' TV show. Or Williams, Lopez or Gere showing up on DWTS.

Not in this lifetime.

But, I do believe that the DWTS PTB might be pretty hard-pressed to actually find well-known entertainers or well-known public people out there who actually qualify as "stars" and would actually want to and would agree to appear on DWTS that truly HAVEN'T had at least a passing acquaintance with some kind of professional choreography, at some point. And sure, the DWTS PTB give the lie to their own show's original premise by pulling in Disney kids, who nine times out of ten HAVE had some kind of dance experience, before.

But, just like with the GH and AMC actors, they're going to fertilize their own field however they see fit to do that, I suppose.

It winds up being a "Damned if they do, damned if they don't!" situation all the way around. There are those of us who LIKE seeing well-known entertainment neophytes get out on the floor and improve their skills each week. But, realistically, How often does somebody like, say JR, or maybe Donald or Helio come along, on this show?

Not very often, maybe?
    ilja likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Great post, Ness. I could not agree more. As we all know, most of the 'stars' they finally do get to appear on DWTS aren't really that well known to begin with therefore I do not believe they have that big of a pool from which to choose. I think they jump at a chance to get someone who is actually well known regardless of any dancing skills.
    ness likes this.

Yes, good post ness. I guess I am conditioned to think Z will win. I just wish they wouldnt pimp her quite so much, but it's their show . At least we see some dancing. The rating for this show have dropped( even with the pros on) I wonder if this show has jumped that almighty shark. I seem to not be bothered with it , because its opposite the Voice, and these themes and team dancers and every week they throw something in.
    But still a good post ness- thank you
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Ness, Helio, Donald and JR are all part of the ABC family. JR was on the Soaps and had a compelling war story, and ESPN is an affliate, so ABC has just as much interest in promoting the sports guys as they do GH or Disney. Possibly more interest, as Football is probably the highest grossing income for networks of any sport in the USA.

If anything, a football player on this show is GUARANTEED top 7 or better. You can't even consider that for the entertainers. That in itself is ringerdom. If the football player is coordinated take that top 6 to the final four. Football players win more often than any other sport, there's been 3 winners and 3 runners up 2 finalists and the athletes have won more times than the entertainers. If you put those statistics up against the Disney Kids the Disney Kids get creamed, they've had only one runner up (Kyle) and one finalist (Chelsea)
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-22-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Zendaya and Val are dancing 1st, since Aly had updated her twitter https://twitter.com/Aly_Raisman/stat...65933448876032

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Despite that, Football players have won this 3 times - Emmitt Hines Donald and athletes have won this 7 times adding Apolo, Helio, Kristie and Shawn.

Disney "triple threat" kids have never won. Monique Coleman, Mario Barrett, Brandy, Chelsea Kane, Sabrina Bryan Aaron Carter, Roshon, Kyle Massey... so the likelyhood that Zendaya will be beat by Jacoby is greater than all the upset over someone being a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Ness, Helio, Donald and JR are all part of the ABC family. JR was on the Soaps and had a compelling war story, and ESPN is an affliate, so ABC has just as much interest in promoting the sports guys as they do GH or Disney. Possibly more interest, as Football is probably the highest grossing income for networks of any sport in the USA.

If anything, a football player on this show is GUARANTEED top 7 or better. You can't even consider that for the entertainers. That in itself is ringerdom. If the football player is coordinated take that top 6 to the final four. Football players win more often than any other sport, there's been 3 winners and 3 runners up 2 finalists and the athletes have won more times than the entertainers. If you put those statistics up against the Disney Kids the Disney Kids get creamed, they've had only one runner up (Kyle) and one finalist (Chelsea)
    EC . . .

Did I not say in my post that TPTB at DWTS were going to fertilize their ground in any way that they could?

And yep, I happen to be MORE than well aware that JR featured on AMC in a war storyline. That little fact was brought up ON THE SHOW when people across the country that did not have a CLUE about soaps were saying: "JR WHO?" ME, included! And I also happen to be more than well aware that ABC could and would be interested in promoting sports guys, seeing as how they've been a leader in sports broadcasting for years and YEARS.

For example: Who had exclusive rights to Olympic broadcasting prior to NBC?

My goodness! I think that might be ABC!

So, just to clarify, my point in invoking JR, Donald's and Helio's names off the top of my head as I was writing STRICTLY had to do with the fact that not a ONE of them was EVER known to have ANY modicum of dance experience at ALL prior to appearing on DWTS. Yet they came on, they improved, they hung in there, and they won.

Those were the names that hit my brain first as I typed, so those were what I ran with.

As for footballers being ringers or guaranteed top seven or better on this show?

That wasn't the original thought or gist behind my post --- which, I think, some people did understand --- so I'm not about to split hairs over sportspeople being ringers on this show.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 04-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Florimel and ilja like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    EC . . .

So, just to clarify, my point in invoking JR, Donald's and Helio's names off the top of my head as I was writing STRICTLY had to do with the fact that not a ONE of them was EVER known to have ANY modicum of dance experience at ALL prior to appearing on DWTS. Yet they came on, they improved, they hung in there, and they won.

JMHO.
    Yes, they won. I voted for Helio and Apolo and Emmitt and Hines in the past because I appreciated their work ethic and their journey. I also happened to believe they were the best in their seasons, because in many ways the "ringers" they were up against got complacent. But it's also a double edged sword, people looked the other way when JR couldn't really Cha Cha that finale night, or when Donald couldn't Samba his way out of a paper bag. So in a lot of ways, some of these popular people took it away from better dancers. So some get upset with Zendaya on the show, but I've read that lots also get upset with the football players who maybe hardworking, but they'll never really perform the technique of dance, but they get an enormous handicap because they happen to be in a popular sport.

Can anyone compete with Zendaya on skill level? I think so. But who can compete with Jacoby on fanbase? We'll have to find out, but history shows the NFL wins.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread