+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: 11/20 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/20 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I like Shawn as well. It's just that I don't feel anything when she's dancing with Derek. I do with Melissa & Kelly.
    Yes. It really all boils down to what is most pleasing to each person.

With Shawn, I see a superb athlete, working out through dance.
    With Kelly, I see a superb (IDK, I don't watch soaps) actress, acting like a dancer.
    With Melissa, I see a superb dancer, dancing beautifully.

Melissa is just way more pleasing to my eye as a dancer than the other two. Her lines are beautiful and technically she's gifted. Tony has really given her some difficult choreography this season, and she's conquered all of it.

Shawn, bless her heart, no matter how technically proficient she is, just doesn't please my eye as a dancer. She's built like a gymnast and for me that takes away from enjoying her dancing. You can almost see her counting out the routines with her gymnast smile plastered on. Love her as a gymnast, though.

Kelly just isn't up to par in her dancing skills as the other two. I've seen her do some beautiful dances this season, but overall she doesn't measure up. And the fauxmance, showmance, romance whatever it is, doesn't interest me.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Someone opined in one of the DWTS threads that we shouldn't be voting for the PROS . . . we should be voting for the STARS. I suggest that the pros have BECOME the stars on this show. I had never heard of many of the "stars" before they were on this show. I don't watch soaps or Disney shows, although I had heard of most of the athletes.

I make a motion that they change the name of the show to "Stars Dancing with Has-Beens, Wannabes and Athletes."

:-)
    fireflyer and nanarama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Someone opined in one of the DWTS threads that we shouldn't be voting for the PROS . . . we should be voting for the STARS. I suggest that the pros have BECOME the stars on this show. I had never heard of many of the "stars" before they were on this show. I don't watch soaps or Disney shows, although I had heard of most of the athletes.

I make a motion that they change the name of the show to "Stars Dancing with Has-Beens, Wannabes and Athletes."

:-)

Well you know how I feel about that AZ. To me, it's ALL about my gorgeous Ukranian Maks
    chrisg and AZChristian like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Well you know how I feel about that AZ. To me, it's ALL about my gorgeous Ukranian Maks
    "OUR" Ukranian. The main reason I don't want Kelly to win is that I don't want the little brother to win before Maks. After all, his girlfriend has already won, so it should be Maks' turn next!!!!
    chrisg and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    "OUR" Ukranian. The main reason I don't want Kelly to win is that I don't want the little brother to win before Maks. After all, his girlfriend has already won, so it should be Maks' turn next!!!!

Ooop yes "our" Ukranian. I'm sure Maks is torn because his best friend is in the finals as well as his little brother. I would also hate to see Val win before Maks!
    AZChristian likes this.

As a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was a very young kid, I’ll be organizing the Cowboy Nation to vote for Melissa at about, oh, half past never . And that’s nothing personal at all toward Melissa, but there is just no comparison with regard to what a cheerleader means to the Dallas Cowboys compared to what one of the greatest football players who has ever lived means and contributed to the Cowboys.

The good news, for anyone bummed by that, is that I think the demographics of DWTS have actually changed toward an audience who is less interested in seeing those who are celebrated for something non-dance-related try their hand at it toward an audience that prefers to see dance related backgrounds compete and then assess the best dancer from amongst dancers.

And I think a secondary shift that additionally benefits Melissa is the storylines DWTS increasingly seems to create that I believe are catching on -- like the romance storyline and the underdog storyline from this season. So, in those changing demographics, Melissa absolutely can win since she is a dancer with a storyline while Shawn only has a dance related background and Kelly only has a storyline. So, Melissa may indeed be the favorite although I know FoRTers are thankfully pretty immune to storylines.

Ultimately, I prefer jocks without dance backgrounds, though, and would really rather not deal with reality show storylines in what used to be a fun straightforward show, so this is my last season of DWTS -- and it is fitting since I came in with Emmitt Smith and I am leaving with him. It’s been a really fun run with everyone here, though, guys. And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

Hate to see you go, chrisg. I always have enjoyed your intelligent comments.
    chrisg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post

The good news, for anyone bummed by that, is that I think the demographics of DWTS have actually changed toward an audience who is less interested in seeing those who are celebrated for something non-dance-related try their hand at it toward an audience that prefers to see dance related backgrounds compete and then assess the best dancer from amongst dancers.
    I absolutely agree with this. Personally I have always enjoyed watching those with no dance background at all try to learn and progress week to week. I love it when a non-experienced dancer pulls a 10 and has flashes of looking pro -- how cool is that? It makes me feel as if, with enough work and guidance, any one of us would be able to dance.

But when someone with a dance background gets a 10, it's as meaningless as a perfect performance by a pro -- interesting to watch if you're really into dance, but otherwise not that impressive.

Apolo was always my favorite because I love his back story and work ethic and I loved watching him perform, but given my criteria, I would almost rather see Kelly win. I won't be watching (or voting) next week and I've never liked her morose demeanor, but from what I understand, she has less of a dance/performance background than the other two finalists.

And I would still love to know the real story behind the "combined totals" configuring and to what extent the judges are guided one way or the other. I hate to be cynical, but this is reality TV.
    chrisg likes this.

You're sweet, AV. I didn't mean to be so melodramatic about it but I like the symmetry of coming and leaving with Emmitt. I'm still watching tonight, though, and some day they will probably talk another Cowboy or another one of my other favorite athletes into being on this cheesy show and it will be like I never left.

And excellent points, Pandora. There is no way that years of dance training is equivalent to a few months worth of learning ballroom routines here or there. And we'll never be able to do a proper Nate Silver-like number crunch with regard to what is going on with DWTS because the show never releases any voting totals.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213