+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: 11/12 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 11/12 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I knew Kelly did.I didn't know Melissa also worked for ABC.
    Melissa has done special reports for Good Morning America in the past, but when watching her reality show with Tye, I discovered that she has an agent and was job hunting without much success in LA last year. The last "hosting" work she did that I'm aware of was for the TVGuide Channel when they went to see the location shoot areas for the Twilight movies. I think she takes work where she can find it and not necessarily for ABC.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wish the pro's would have to get their routines approved by the judges BEFORE they teach them to their stars. That way, if there's any concerns about the choreography, it could be changed before judging night and the stars wouldn't be penalized for their pro's choreography. Although, most of the pro's have been with the show since it began and all of them should know what rules the judges have set down and what they expect. It just kills me, though, when the judges get uptight about a dance because it doesn't fit the theme, doesn't have enough content, or whatever and score it low. It's not the star's fault, unless they were the ones who insisted on including that in their dance and their pro advised them not to.

I do get tired of Derek bucking the rules. On country night, he claimed he was going to start following the rules more but that sure flew out the window as soon as he was able to dance again.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I do get tired of Derek bucking the rules. On country night, he claimed he was going to start following the rules more but that sure flew out the window as soon as he was able to dance again.
    He did say that, didn't he? But I think what he said was, "I'll follow the rules next week." Which was the week that Spatz danced with Shawn. He probably thinks he fulfilled his promise.

I did read an article online where he is quoted as saying he doesn't choreograph for the judges' votes - he choreographs for the fans' votes. That explains a lot.

Count me among those who are unhappy with choreography that breaks the rules. I think Derek is a great dancer and a good choreographer although I won't call him the best until he's been given a hopeless case as a celebrity. If he can do something with that as other pros have done, then I might go along with the "best" tag, something I normally don't do anyways. Not much chance that will happen if he's leaving.

I do remember not voting for Mario Lopez/Karina in their season because of the constant rule breaking. He was as much at fault for that as she was and they were penalized by the judges for it as they should have been. This is a ballroom competition, so I want to see ballroom dances unless they are given a freestyle or a carte blanche to improvise a particular dance. I like Derek and Shawn, but I also liked how Len scored them.
    Kip, pikachu, AZChristian and 1 others like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Finally got the chance to watch last night's show. I really love Apolo. So he may not be the absolute best dancer there, but he tries so hard, has made improvements since his last season, and he is just generally fun to watch. And Karina did great with the trio dance. That's two seasons in a row she has been a part of my favorite trio dance, although I still like DD and Peta's jive last season slightly more.

I also love seeing Melissa & Tony. They just seem like they have a great friendship outside of their partnership.

Shawn is still good and will remain to be so. I'm expecting her in the finals for sure.

If I had my choice, these three would make the finals. The others simply do nothing for me or I don't think they are very good.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

WoooHooooo! I love, love, love the trio dances.

Shawn/Derek/Mark WOW Not a samba but definitely must-see TV. That one should be submitted for an Emmy. For me, that will be the stand out dance of the season. Freestyles haven't even been seen yet. Just wow!

Apolo/Karina/Sasha Mmmmm. Apolo looks great as a greaser! Keep your hair that way, short hair shows off your gorgeous face! He's peaking at the right time and I hope he stays. His tango was awesome too.

Kirstie should be going home but who will she be taking with her? I hope it's Melissa as Kelly has been improving each week. Melissa irks the hell outta me. In one minute she did her signature leg up in the air 8 freakin' times! Although Kelly looks/acts like a real witch her dancing is more entertaining than Melissa.

ETA: Where is Karalott? Does she live in the area of Hurricane Sandy? Anyone know if she's OK?
    Last edited by JunkieGirl; 11-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    WoooHooooo! I love, love, love the trio dances.

Shawn/Derek/Mark WOW Not a samba but definitely must-see TV. That one should be submitted for an Emmy. For me, that will be the stand out dance of the season. Freestyles haven't even been seen yet. Just wow!

Apolo/Karina/Sasha Mmmmm. Apolo looks great as a greaser! Keep your hair that way, short hair shows off your gorgeous face! He's peaking at the right time and I hope he stays. His tango was awesome too.

Kirstie should be going home but who will she be taking with her? I hope it's Melissa as Kelly has been improving each week. Melissa irks the hell outta me. In one minute she did her signature leg up in the air 8 freakin' times! Although Kelly looks/acts like a real witch her dancing is more entertaining than Melissa.

ETA: Where is Karalott? Does she live in the area of Hurricane Sandy? Anyone know if she's OK?
    Really interesting analysis, as always, JG.

I am pretty sure Kara is fine. She lives in upstate New York, I think, and posted as recently a couple of days after the hurricane according to her post history. And I don't want to speak for her, but she may be just taking a little mental health break from posting. I plan on taking a very long one of those myself, actually.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

karalott AND TIA_MA?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Shove it on over, Miss Scarlet and Florimel . . .

Count me in, too, on being PAST tired of Derek's --- AKA Golden Boy's --- propensity for overdoing it with choreographing to a partner's particular angle, or out-and-out breaking the rules/standards altogether.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW Shawn is an Olympics gymnastics hero, and that is her angle and strength. Derek is no fool, and he'd be CRAZY to NOT play to her strength.

SOMETIMES.

But, when you start to wonder how many handsprings, backbends or cartwheels they're going to shoehorn into their routine before even a NOTE of music is heard, that, to me, is a problem.

Or, to steal/paraphrase Len's wording, when what it says on the label of the tin isn't actually what's IN the tin, THAT is a problem.

Sure, Derek is arguably one of the best --- if not THE best --- choreographers on the show. And a stellar dancer, to boot. Plus, he's matured and grown greatly, in the past few years.

Still and all, none of that gives him carte blanche to regularly play fast and loose with established rules and regs in established dances. THEN actually have the nerve to get irritated/pissed when Len calls him out on it and dings him for it.

In his own, opposite, way, he's JUST as annoying as Brother Spatz.

I'm GLAD Len threw a bucket of ice water on him.

Too bad Shawn had to suffer for that, but Derek HAD to be brought up short and shown SOME kind of consequences, sooner, or later.

JMHO.
    Kip, Florimel, Need40winks and 1 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Absolutely! Friggin wonderful. It should be shown again. Len giving It 7, we will have to see Gilles again I bet, or maybe Melissa
    Apolo peaking at the right time- yes
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread