+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: 11/12 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/12 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Makes me wonder if they're trying to keep everyone's scores relatively close.
    The scores are very close which I think might have possibly been planned to make the viewers choose who goes home this week. That said, based on who has gone home previously, I do think it will be couples who have appeared previously in either preferably the REAL bottom 2 ( as distinguished by Tom's careful wording) or the FAKE bottom 2. So far, we haven't really gotten any truly shocking eliminations where a couple out of the blue is eliminated without any foreshadowing at all as in falling in the bottom 2 or remarks made by the judges, etc.
    That said, I would not be surprised to see a "fake" bottom 2 or jeopardy bottom 3 of Derek and Shawn - although there is not a chance in this world of it being real - simply for drama and on the basis of Len's remark (paraphrased to Shawn), "If you go home tomorrow night, you can blame these two guys -Mark and Derek- (implied for choreographing a routine insufficient in samba content)."

If this is the case, then I think we might lose Kirstie and maybe Kelly since both have been in the bottom 2 and seem to maybe be the weakest links at this point. However, maybe they will go for one possibly more shocking elimination of the two,

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Seeing Emmitt dance he just doesn't wow me. I don't think Cheryl has done him any favors though. They are pretty forgettable
    Well, Emmitt does still wow those of us who appreciate him and I am particularly wowed by seeing one of my childhood heroes -- who has accomplished tremendous things in life -- having some fun.

And, ultimately, this is a silly dance competition and I do not believe the world will end if any one of these dancers goes home tonight versus a grand two weeks from now as the winner, IMO.

I am enjoying watching all of them and think everyone left at this point has unique strengths and that each of them brings something positive to the table.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Well, Emmitt does still wow those of us who appreciate him and hopefully I am allowed to be wowed by seeing one of my childhood heroes -- who has accomplished tremendous things in life -- having some fun.

And, ultimately, this is a silly dance competition and I do not believe the world will not end if any one of these dancers goes home tonight versus a grand two weeks from now as the winner, IMO.

I am enjoying watching all of them and think they all have unique strengths and that each of them brings something positive to the table.
    We all like different things, I was just posting how I felt.I like him , he doesn't wow me
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Ok I admit I loved both of Shawn's dances. Yes while the Samba wasn't technically a correct Samba, it was different, exciting & entertaining. Isn't the whole point of dance about expression & pushing boundries. Okay maybe I am a bit biased since I am a proud member of Team Short.
    Apolo's dances were nice...voted for him but perhaps going up against a pro might not have been the best idea.
    Kelly....sigh...I am so over the fake show-mance. Hey if it is a real relationship, keep it where it belongs...at TMZ. Leave it off the dance floor. Neither of her dances impressed me.
    Kirstie....love her...her dancing skills are nowhere close to any other dancer. I still fail to understand the wings...never got the point. Was that supposed to be a Paso? There was a lot of swirling/twirling but no Paso. I think this will be her swan song...pardon the pun.
    Giles....still swarmy looking to me. He & Peta put on a great & sexy show but just not my style/taste. Don't get me wrong...I loves Giles in his season. This season...it just seems to me he thinks he was wronged last time & deserves to win now.
    Melissa...beautiful lady but I just don't get any passion from her. Maybe I am still just seeing her in boots, pompoms & kick splits.
    Emmitt...I thought the judging was supposed to be on the star & not the pros. Cheryl & Kym where great but all I saw Emmitt do was use his hands to twirl the ladies & shake his tushie and that is 10 worthy?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    This may seem somewhat tangential, but T/M's paso last night got me thinking about it. Back in 1984, when they still had original set pattern dances in ice dancing, the compulsory dance was a paso, and all the couples did a matador/bull type of division of the traditional paso roles. Everyone except Torvill and Dean, that is. In their paso, Torvill was actually the cape and Dean was the matador, and it may sound odd, but it was really very effective (I haven't looked, but I'd be astonished if it weren't on youtube, where there's a ton of figure skating programs going back as far as the forties). I wish someone on DWTS would try something more original like that with a paso, unless ballroom rules don't permit it. Lately, it seems like every paso has a dominator/dominatrix theme.

I just checked. It is on YouTube. If you're interested, it's under Torvill and Dean paso.
    Haven't checked out the YouTube yet, but if this is the T&D paso I THINK you're talking about, I remember it quite well.

They wore black/white/gold costumes (?), and when/after they took the ice, Jayne (who had on a dolman/batwing top) reached up and put her arms around Chris' neck, just as if she WAS an actual cape.

(Just went and took a peek; yep, that was it.)

Stunning. Next to their original "Bolero", that is one of their most all-time, memorable numbers, for me. I never forgot it.

And I agree with what you're saying.

It'd be SO interesting to me to see what DWTS pros could do with a paso that was crafted/created under such stringent rules (or as close to those as they possibly could, anyway) as those compulsory ice dances were from years ago.

And the thing about it is, with THOSE ice dances, even if you weren't a dancing/skating aficionado, the rules were so clearly set out and had to be adhered to that you could instantly TELL what each couple was supposed to be doing. Brits, Americans, Russians, whatever. Didn't matter. Nobody could touch T&D back then, but whoever the couple was, you could clearly tell what dance was being done and what the woman's and man's individual roles were in them.

JMHO, anyway.

ETA . . .

And there was no dominatrix vibe running through any of those, either!

LOL!
    Midol likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The scores are very close which I think might have possibly been planned to make the viewers choose who goes home this week. That said, based on who has gone home previously, I do think it will be couples who have appeared previously in either preferably the REAL bottom 2 ( as distinguished by Tom's careful wording) or the FAKE bottom 2. So far, we haven't really gotten any truly shocking eliminations where a couple out of the blue is eliminated without any foreshadowing at all as in falling in the bottom 2 or remarks made by the judges, etc.
    That said, I would not be surprised to see a "fake" bottom 2 or jeopardy bottom 3 of Derek and Shawn - although there is not a chance in this world of it being real - simply for drama and on the basis of Len's remark (paraphrased to Shawn), "If you go home tomorrow night, you can blame these two guys -Mark and Derek- (implied for choreographing a routine insufficient in samba content)."

If this is the case, then I think we might lose Kirstie and maybe Kelly since both have been in the bottom 2 and seem to maybe be the weakest links at this point. However, maybe they will go for one possibly more shocking elimination of the two,
    Unfortunately, I would throw Apolo in there as well. He has been in the bottom 2 before. The unknown to me is Melissa - I just can't get a feel for her fanbase. I think Shawn, Gilles and Emmitt will be safe.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Haven't checked out the YouTube yet, but if this is the T&D paso I THINK you're talking about, I remember it quite well.

They wore black/white/gold costumes (?), and when/after they took the ice, Jayne (who had on a dolman/batwing top) reached up and put her arms around Chris' neck, just as if she WAS an actual cape.

(Just went and took a peek; yep, that was it.)

Stunning. Next to their original "Bolero", that is one of their most all-time, memorable numbers, for me. I never forgot it.

And I agree with what you're saying.

It'd be SO interesting to me to see what DWTS pros could do with a paso that was crafted/created under such stringent rules (or as close to those as they possibly could, anyway) as those compulsory ice dances were from years ago.

And the thing about it is, with THOSE ice dances, even if you weren't a dancing/skating aficionado, the rules were so clearly set out and had to be adhered to that you could instantly TELL what each couple was supposed to be doing. Brits, Americans, Russians, whatever. Didn't matter. Nobody could touch T&D back then, but whoever the couple was, you could clearly tell what dance was being done and what the woman's and man's individual roles were in them.

JMHO, anyway.

ETA . . .

And there was no dominatrix vibe running through any of those, either!

LOL!
    The rules were extremely stringent and exacting, and yet T/D managed to be enormously creative within them. Dean was also able to do innovative choreography with other teams like the Ducheneys, who obviously had a brother/sister vibe, because they are brother/sister.

The fact that we both remembered even the costuming from a program that's twenty-eight years old says a lot about the impact of that paso (as does the fact that when the Russian judge gave them a 5.6 in technical merit for that paso, the Russian ice dancers, who eventually earned a silver to T/D's gold, chastised her for doing so. Even they felt that T/D were in a class by themselves and said so, even though saying so might have caused them some problems with their own team officials).
    Allie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Dingo View Post
    Melissa works for ABC and Kelly stars in GH. I'm not surprised by the judges favoritism towards those two.
    I knew Kelly did.I didn't know Melissa also worked for ABC.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Dingo View Post
    Melissa works for ABC and Kelly stars in GH. I'm not surprised by the judges favoritism towards those two.
    That is very true by the scores they have been receiving. I have tried to like these two but just don't feel them at all. They can both leave as far as I am concerned.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    We all like different things, I was just posting how I felt.I like him , he doesn't wow me
    Love him as a football player, role model and human being! However, following Giles last night really showed the lack of 'WOW' factor. Love him or hate him, Giles was crisp, clean and powerful when he was dancing alone. Emmitt, by comparison, was flat and sluggish. It was a pretty dramatic juxtaposition.
    AZChristian and Midol like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread