+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: 11/5 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 11/5 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I need to focus on something Shoepie brought up in her post upthread a little ways:

"Derek should be given credit for Shawn's win. Derek did not want Mark in charge and reeled him in several times in the short clip we saw and you know there was much more. Mark wanted to put a Broadway spin on it and Derek nixed that, VERY quickly. Derek reeled Mark in but clearly did not have control in the swing dance. Break dancing Mark? Really? Mark was furious they didn't win."

I'll be the first one to say I thought and felt that Derek should've sat his ass down and out of Shawn and Mark's deal, since he was injured.

However, Shoepie makes an excellent, cannot-be-ignored, observation/point . . .

Considering that this is Spatz, The Lord of the Overdance, that we're talking about, here, I really don't --- after reading what Shoepie said and reflecting on it --- see how Derek could've realistically played it any other way. If he was going to be protective of Shawn AND the dance, he had no other option BUT to have heavily involved himself in the crafting of that hybrid performance.

It's become more than quite clear to all of us over the years that Mark is NOT the same dancer who showed up his first season on DWTS. Gorilla costumes? Spatz? Overdancing his partners to the point of distraction? BREAKDANCING DURING A SWING DANCE MARATHON? Resurrecting Michael Jackson any and every chance he gets, WHETHER OR NOT THE RESURRECTION ACTUALLY FITS WHAT IT IS THAT HE'S DANCING TO?

I mean, sure, when he first showed up, it was his view that he wanted to put a new spin on the usual ballroom goings-on. But, even with that, when he started out, no way was he as obnoxious, over-the-top and in-your-face as he has become.

Said it before, and I'll repeat it now:

Frankly, since Derek is Spatz' "Brother From Another Mother", it seems to me that they've had a rivalry going most of their lives. Since they've been on DWTS, Derek has outshone Mark at every turn, and then some. Feels to me like Mark has been chasing the tail of Derek's DWTS comet, ever since they both showed up on this show.

Then, there's also the factor that, this year, Spatz got stuck with Baby Moose, while Derek, ONCE AGAIN, has a real contender (not to mention an America's Sweetheart and former champ, even if she IS a little heavy on the spray-tanner, most times), AGAIN.

Derek's no fool; he sees and knows the same things we do about Mark. And since this is his last season, he wants to go out being protective of his partner and their dancing.

Even to sticking his nose into his "brother's" business.

Had I been Shawn, that would've driven me absolutely NUTS. Matter of fact, I do NOT believe I would've tolerated having the both of them to deal with in practice.

But from the standpoint of this being Spatz, I understand WHY Derek involved himself in it.

Does anybody else recall when Derek had the flu and had to sit out a week? Not sure, but I think it might've been Maks that took over for Derek that one week? Hmmm. Derek sure didn't heavily involve himself in their dancing that week, even though I sort of remember a clip of him calling from his house in to his partner to check to see how things were going. The upshot was that Maks (?) and whoever the partner was survived, Derek came back the following week, and things rolled on, as usual.

Being the stellar dancer/choreographer that he is, I tend to believe that if Derek had any SERIOUS off-the-wall performance concerns about leaving his partner with Maks, he would've been in that rehearsal studio every day, all day, back then, too.

Flu, or no flu.

At the very least, to me, it bears thinking about.
    Last edited by ness; 11-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Shoepie and AZChristian like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

One thing ness. Derek was the choreographer for Mark and Shawn. If you think back to when Maks was hurt, and he and Hope were dancing. Derek came in, and someone from the troupe came in. BUT Maks was always there. Derek and Shawn are partners so Derek should have stayed, and did whatever he could .Shawn was fine with it, she gave a great dance, and later Mark and Shawn went out after the show( they remained friends after their win) so I dont want to give Mark any gears, he danced the way Derek wanted him to. They are very close, they did live together, so yes, they are like brothers.Mark is also very close to Louis they have known one another since they were 3.

I say kudos to them all, and hope Derek gets better ASAP.
    ness and mesachick like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Does anybody else recall when Derek had the flu and had to sit out a week? Not sure, but I think it might've been Maks that took over for Derek that one week? Hmmm. Derek sure didn't heavily involve himself in their dancing that week, even though I sort of remember a clip of him calling from his house in to his partner to check to see how things were going. The upshot was that Maks (?) and whoever the partner was survived, Derek came back the following week, and things rolled on, as usual.
    That was Joanna Krupa.

Am I the only one who thought the most entertaining part of last night were the fake ads before they went to commercial breaks? I don't know if it is because I am so sick of all the real political ads or if I am just not as into this season, but I swear, those were the highlight for me last night.
    JunkieGirl, Shoepie, Midol and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    That was Joanna Krupa.

Am I the only one who thought the most entertaining part of last night were the fake ads before they went to commercial breaks? I don't know if it is because I am so sick of all the real political ads or if I am just not as into this season, but I swear, those were the highlight for me last night.
    I don't see as many ads as you.But I thought they were funny! better than the night itself
    -Andy Rooney-

Derek has a recurring neck injury (similar to Melissa's) that was re-injured during his last Monday night dance. He does not have the flu, at least that I've heard.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Ness - maybe you missed my earlier post... but Derek was not considered not able to dance until Monday before the performance that night. Since Derek still had the chance that he might dance with Shawn last night, he absolutely needed to be in each and every rehearsal, and his input with the choreography was also a must. If he had been cleared, he would have had to know the choreography even better than Mark, since he wasn't given as much time to practice it. I think Derek not being there, would have been a bad mistake, on a few levels. Mark was simply the understudy, and it turned out that he was needed last night. Shawn dealt with it all just fine.

Ariel you are correct. Derek's neck was injured, he does not have the flu.
    ness likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fan

I think Ness is referring to a different season when he had the flu. Not this season.
    ness and mesachick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I think Ness is referring to a different season when he had the flu. Not this season.
    Yes when Derek was ill,( he was supposed to stay in bed) he was partnered with Krupa, but just the same, he had to call in( most likely more than once) they seem very protective of their partners, and to some extent, I can see that. I think Mesa and I were just saying it was good Derek was there, because until that day( Monday) the doctors hadn't said that Derek couldn't dance
    -Andy Rooney-

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

This fusion dance theme worked out pretty well, add in the hilarious faux political ads made for a very entertaining evening.

Apolo & Karina Wooohooo! where has THIS Apolo been throughout the competition? That was HOT, and no, not only because he took his shirt off. Really enjoyed that dance. I think they could have given him an extra half point instead of the straight nines.

Emmitt & Cheryl That was pretty good with the music they were given. Emmitt's outfit might have been a little easier on the eyes if he were wearing a short-sleeved shirt that he's known for.

Kirstie & Maks Umm, yeah what the judges said.

Kelly & Val I liked that, but the cha cha was far better than the foxtrot. I just noticed that I enjoy watching the men-celebs dancing the foxtrot more than I do watching the women. Don't know why that is.

Melissa & Tony Still one trick pony. Every dance looks the same to me.

Shawn/Mark LOOOVED IT!

Gilles & Peta That was awesome! Oooh I saw DD too!

That spotlight performance was OTT. Too many dance styles, the strobe lights were all too much. Did enjoy seeing Chelsie again.

I can't stand marathon dances. So now they're propping up Melissa to get Kirstie out? HAHA That worked out great last time didn't it?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

Bring on Dance Center. That's my favorite part of each season.
    Moontat, navybelle and Midol like this.

+ Reply to Thread