+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: 10/23 DWTS Performance Show Pt 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 10/23 DWTS Performance Show Pt 2 Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Did anyone else notice that all of the dancers from Team Shawn received a 27 while only Sabrina received a 29? That waltz was not all that great nor challenging especially given Sabrina is a trained dancer. I don't see the perfection in Sabrina. There is just something missing from her that I am not connecting with at all. IMHO I just think this show was set-up to crown Sabrina.

I did not see disconnect between Apolo & Karina.

I don't fault Shawn for playing the gymnastic card since Gilles is playing up the sexy card while Sabrina is a trained, profesional dancer. I have a hard time believeing Kelly did not also have dance training at some point. Kelly is stretching herself too much and it is starting to show in the quality of her dance.
    Snow Bunny . . .

Good catch on the difference in scoring between Sabrina and her teammates! No, I didn't think her waltz was all that challenging, either, now that you mention it. And yep, I think she STILL overdid it with the arms, face, etc. Dance training doesn't have to mean perfection, and Sabrina is living, breathing proof of that. What doesn't connect with me with her is the fact that no matter HOW many times it's been brought up DIRECTLY to her, she dances like she's drawn up some sort of contract with the Devil that she'd BETTER dance like she's dancing for her life times ten, or he'll take her on a one-way trip to his overheated lair.

And yep, I'm SERIOUSLY starting to wonder if this show was purposely created to crown Sabrina and make it up to her for That Which Will Not Be Re-Stated. I don't give a damn if TPTB deny it from now 'til the Second Coming. If it's NOT true, I'll believe it when SOMEBODY ELSE wins.

Apolo and Karina disconnect? Agreed. I didn't see it, either. And until CA lowers herself to explain WTH she meant by that, I guess we're left to speculate.

Gymnastics vs. sexy vs. pro.

Gotcha.

Totally get what you're saying.

Another way this can be looked at, though, is that sexy is EXPECTED in ballroom dancing. PARTICULARLY the Latin dances. If somebody looks like the back end of a bus, but still is able to exude sexy (yep, I believe that CAN happen!) as he or she dances, MORE POWER TO 'EM! Gilles, bless his hunky heart, does not resemble the back of a bus. Ergo, HE does not have to figure out how to be OR have to WORK at being sexy. AND THE MAN CAN DANCE! So, I say:

Breathe ON, dude!

The gymnastics?

That, to me, is another matter.

Gymnastics moves are NOT something that would be expected or looked for in normal ballroom dancing. I think it's great and fine and dandy that Shawn is a world-renowned gymnast. Bless her heart and God love her for that. But, if I see straight-up gymnastics moves in three out of four dances that you do, I've got a problem with that. I don't want to have your gymnastics prowess shoved down my throat. I know how to turn the channel to gymnastics competition shows or gymnastics events in the Summer Olympics.

Since you ARE a gymnast, it'd be totally unreasonable to expect that we'd NOT see those moves. SOMETIMES. But, I don't want them rammed in my face, either. And I CERTAINLY don't think you deserve a "coveted" mirrorball trophy just because you CAN cartwheel around the ballroom floor and up the stairs to the Sky Box, either.

This show IS supposed to spotlight DANCING accomplishments, after all.

Key words there, though, are "SUPPOSED TO".

And I know that.

As for Sabrina being a trained, professional dancer?

WELL now . . . HOW MANY OF THOSE HAVE WE HAD ON THIS SHOW SINCE IT BEGAN???

Please.

Kelly?

She "won" S1. O'Hurley won the dance-off. Since she's been on this show, I strongly suspect that she continued receiving dancing lessons since the first time she appeared. She improved greatly when she was on the first time from where she started to where she ended up. But not enough to have warranted a win (general speculation back then was that since she was on "General Hospital" the fix was in by ABC to have their girl walk away with the whole shootin' match), IMHO.

Now, she's back. And doing noticeably better that when she "won" the first show.

Yeah, like you, I think she's stretching herself too much and it's starting to show.

Why?

Because even after the first season, I believe it's always stuck in her craw that when SHE competed and walked away with the win, there was such a hue and cry that TPTB actually set up a dance-off show with her and O'Hurley. Again, HE won.

Since that time, I think it'd be reasonable to believe that that dance-off and loss there monkeyed with her. And she always wanted to show and PROVE to herself AND the country that that first win of hers was not a fluke (or a fix). And one DOES have to wonder about that, if you saw the first season. Additionally, that WAS the ONLY time in the history of this show that they've ever had a dance-off between a winner and a runner-up after a winner was judged and voted on and WON.

She's not as good as some of the others that are still left. She WANTS to ratify her original win, and she's feeling and getting desperate.

And it's starting to SHOW.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 10-26-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    combatcutie likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I really don't have a problem with anyone of the all starts playing up what they do best. With Shawn it is gymnastics, Gilles is pure sex appeal, Kirstie is comedy, Kelly acting, Emmitt's likeability, Melissa & Sabrina are trainned dancers. You do what you have to do to get to the next round so I have zero problem with them playing up their strengths. Shawn's Rumba with the non-lift was much better than Sabrina's Waltz. Heck Shaw's Rumba was better than Gilles which was all leg lifts & crotch shots. Yes Peta will have better hip action because she IS the professional here...sheesh

I fear like many of you, this season was set-up for Sabrina.

Please...please ABC rid us of the iceberg & take Brooke with her!
    AZChristian and jucamer like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I don't think its set up for anyone, let alone Sabrina. If I had to guess, they would like another final with Gilles and Shawn, but Sabrina? I don't see it.
    Allie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think it's a set up for Gilles to win, and for Sabrina to make the finals.
    nanarama likes this.

I don't think Sabrina will make the finals, but I do wonder if the fan support is not there for her, TPTB realize that they mis-called that one as the "Most Shocking Elimination Ever" and they are trying to up her scores so that she leaves at least after the halfway point. Otherwise, don't they just look stupid - which we all already think anyway?!
    ness and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I don't think Sabrina will make the finals, but I do wonder if the fan support is not there for her, TPTB realize that they mis-called that one as the "Most Shocking Elimination Ever" and they are trying to up her scores so that she leaves at least after the halfway point. Otherwise, don't they just look stupid - which we all already think anyway?!
    KatesMom, I think you're dead on target. What you've said is too logical and makes too much sense.

I have to admit, I stated and wondered earlier just IF they were going to baby Sabrina straight into the win for AS. Matter of fact, I wouldn't've believed otherwise until I saw differently on Finale Night, or by some fluke, she got bounced out of there earlier.

But yep, I think you've got valid points that've got to be considered.

Having said that, one thing I HAVE noticed --- and anybody please correct me if I'm wrong --- for at least, what, the past two shows?, we've not heard anything about That Which Will Not Be Re-Stated. And we're now in, what, Week 7, as of the last performance show? When, last time, she got bounced in Week Six, I think?

So, as of this writing, she's lasted a week longer (I believe) than her actual first appearance. Also, they've got a dancer (Kirstie) who's more likely than not to get shown the door before SHE does. So that gives her at least another week of DWTS airtime that will be a salve for the "MSEE!" war cry that they've been working ever since she got booted the first time.

I think she's got fan support. But I also think you might be right in that TPTB realized what a tiger they let out of the tank when they started that "OMG, she's OUT!" deal.

You never know for sure, though.
    Last edited by ness; 10-26-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I have voted for her. I liked what I saw. Plus I think she is trying. I still dont like Louis that much, and I dont see his choreography carrying her much further.

Cheering loudly for Derek and Shawn ( even though she didn't wow me at first, she does now )
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 10-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm sorry, but this has been playing on my mind.

Here goes . . .

CA.

For years, she's been displaying her particular brand of nasty, crazy, and 2+2=15 on this show.

That has been old for a long, long time.

It has gotten even OLDER this particular season, when she got wound up snapping at Tom ON THE VERY FIRST SHOW.

If CA can't get Mt. Rushmore off her shoulder, lose the attitude and mouth and judge fairly and stop snapping and snarking at people unfairly, then SHE DOES NOT NEED TO BE THERE.

Yep, to echo another poster, Bruno DOES need to be strapped into his seat.

But overall, I find him WAY less trying and offensive than that nasty, hateful, Lift-Policewoman-in-Sequins-and-Complete-With Extensions CA. No real, longtime viewer has any respect for her. And at this late date, the probability of her earning any respect back pretty much boils down to slim and none.

Emphasis on NONE.

Bring back Paula, please.
    Shoepie, AZChristian and jucamer like this.

I don't think Sabrina is doing well with the fanvote and I think that's why her score was so high. Wasn't she in the real bottom two already? I think vote counts are consistent over seasons and if so, that's proof that she's not pulling the votes.

I also think they want Shawn in the finals, for sure, and if they want her to win, they might have low-balled Kelly as the first volley in their plan to dump her by the semi's. I keep thinking that Shawn has a much better chance to win if there are two popular men in the finals with her, to split the female vote that always goes to the most-loved guy, and I think those men are Apolo and Emmitt. One reason I think they want her to win is to give Derek a very positive experience, so he might change his mind and stay, or he might be more likely to come back to them. I also think they have a difficult time producing a female winner, and they've had three men in a row take the trophy (Hines, JR, Donald), so this is a good opportunity for them to get a woman past the post.

They're propping Emmitt a bit to keep him in - they're criticizing Apolo (the chemistry thing) and holding down his scores because they don't want him to win, so they're putting in the work to prevent that from happening, even with Emmitt in the finals with him.

The edits are SO bad for Gilles, I think they reflect a fanvote weakness or otherwise they'd be building him up to be in the finals with Apolo. Well, if the rest of my theory is true. I also think they love to have Cheryl in the finals - I guess they trust her more than Peta, or they know she's popular and "comfortable" (familiar) for the viewers, so they think she bodes well for good ratings in the last episodes.

Fodder: Sabrina, Melissa, Kirstie. This season makes me think the pro a celeb has does make a pretty big impact on staying-power but that might be because they storyboard and prop it that way. Or it might simply be that pros like Louis, Tony, Anna, and Chelsie ARE impediments to success.

I feel most confused about Kelly and Val. Are they doing well? Is the soap opera fanbase still strong? Is this considered a breakthrough for Val, by the producers? Why was she marked SO low, even lower than Kirstie, for heaven's sake? Time will tell, I guess.
    Last edited by Elsa66; 10-27-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    There is no such thing as a person that nothing has happened to, and each person's story is as different as his fingertips.
    Elsa Lanchester

I don't watch soaps I have to work for a living. I don't see them as being as popular as they once were. I don't get/feel/see/sense any romantic connection between Val & Kelly. They are just vanilla...plain...boring.

I did ahem..appreciate Gilles in his season. Tis year he is coming off to me as arrogant, entitled & annoying. His dances, at times, boarder on vulgar not that I am the least bit prudish but if you are going to dock a couple for a non-lift or not having enough hip action while Giles could double for Peta's GYN for as many leg life & crotch shots she showed. Over him 100%.

Melissa is ok but there isn't a thing about her that would make me pick up a phone & vote for her. Sabrina came in with the tag you fools voted her off too soon so we at ABC are going to make you endure her AGAIN. There is zero chemistry between her & Louis. He almost dropped her during her disco routine. I am not sure what else Louis can bring to the table that is exciting plus I find it sad when the all star out dances the pro.

I don't see alot of dancing with Emmitt but alot over over dancing by Cheryl. Apolo is great but the judges are playing mind games saying there isn't a connection between him & Karina. I see chemistry with those 2. Kirstie can't dance that great but she does entertain me and her dancing with Maks is the cherry on my sundae.

I enjoy Shawn so I tolerate Derek. Shawn isn't a dancer yet she manages to do step for step with Derek..who I never liked. They are good together plus even though the judges are blown away by their dances they still have to find something wrong to dock them points. I don't care if Shawn uses her gymnastic skills...Kirstie is using her acting skills to sell a dance.

I never, ever voted for this show in all of these seasons but I did last week AFTER the judges told Shawn/Derek that was the BEST dance ever performed on DWTS they docked them points & I picked up my phones, facebook & emails & voted for Shawn & will continue to do so.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread