+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree334Likes

Thread: 10/2 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/2 DWTS Results Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Fanny Mare said, "When they announced it last season, it was returning winners, fan favorites and controversial dancers."

Before the season started, I stated that both Bristol and Sabrina were returning for the element of controversy. Plainly, the producers have always liked to keep a little controversy going - some seasons much more than others. This season is no exception.

It appeared to me to be almost a cause/effect type thing with Bristol in her previous season. The more hate generated toward her, it appeared to me the more votes she received, and it did not matter what judges' scores she received. The fan votes buoyed up the judges' scores.

The judges are scoring Bristol lower this season, and she is aware of that, according to her statement about the 6s. However, it would appear that the fan vote is again buoying up the lower judges' score, much in the same way that a lower fan vote hurt Joey's higher judge's score as well as Helio's who also ended up in what appeared from the way it was worded as the true bottom 2.

Bristol's appearance and dancing have both improved; however, they are not on the same level as most of the others. It would appear that she and Mark are also cognizant of that. If the fans vote for her - regardless of the source of those fan votes - than that is just the way it is. ( realistic shrug?) My guess is that if the judges give her 5s right now, a "determined" fan group, thinking foul, would only vote in greater numbers to ensure her safety.

Sabrina is quite the capable dancer. The problem before was that her fan base was made up primarily of kids and teens - the Disney fans. Is her current fan base and the fan base they are developing strong enough to carry her through?

Kirstie is a generally well-liked and known TV star - funny, and we want to pull for her. Here is the controversy. She is also 61 - as she said, "3 life-times of Shawn ( at 20)." It remains to be seen how far Kirstie's popularity and fanbase can carry her along with all of the others.

Also, several seasons ago, we posted an interview from producer Conrad Green. In that interview, he stated that he liked to hire people "who have a story." This explained to me why some people - questionable to us as a "star" - ended up sometimes on the show.
    Maybe if we keep this thought in mind, we might understand his reason for putting some of the people on in the first place and for bringing back others as well.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've really been bugged about how teams are eliminated, so I've been looking around the ABC website and found this. Interesting. Now I want to see the "Official Rules made available to each couple."

PROCEDURE FOR ELIMINATING COUPLES:

Each week every couple receives points from the judges and votes from the public. For every couple the show determines the share they received of the total points given by the judges on the night of the performances, and the share they received of the public's votes and add these two shares together. The couple with the lowest combined total is eliminated from the show.

For example if couples A, B and C respectively receive 38, 26 and 14 points from the judges, the show calculates what share these points represent of the total awarded by the judges on the night. In this example the judges gave 78 points in total, and each couples' share of 78 points breaks down as follows: A: 38 points = 48.72% of 78; B: 26 points = 33.33% of 78; C: 14 points = 17.95% of 78. Let's suppose that when the public votes are tallied, each couple has the following shares: A= 20%, B=40%, C=40%. To determine who's eliminated, these two shares are combined for the total:

Couple A: 20+48.72%= 68.72%
    Couple B: 40+33.33%= 73.33%
    Couple C: 40+17.95%= 57.95%

In this example, the bottom two couples would be A and C, and C would be eliminated.

The competition is governed by the Official Rules made available to each couple. The above is a summary for informational purposes only.

A few late thoughts:

People keep saying that Helio should have lots of fans because NASCAR is huge. Helio is an Indy car driver, not NASCAR. These two groups don't have much cross-over. NASCAR is good old southern boys, Indy Car is international playboys. Indy Car is not nearly as popular as NASCAR in the US so I wasn't surprised he was near the bottom.

Bristol. All things being equal, she would finish 3rd again. So what is different? There are more stars with strong fan votes this time, so that would argue for her leaving sooner than 3rd. On the other hand the Vote for the Worst web site is possibly responsible for a large portion of her votes this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see her finish around 5th.

Ironically, this season is almost tailor made for Bristol since fan votes take on extra importance when most of the dancers are so good that they look like Pros. And the lower her judge's scores, the more her fans vote. Every week she stays around the Vote for the Worst website is going to celebrate and push her thru one more week. There are people that hate the Palins voting for her because they think it makes the Palins look stupid. There are people that love the Palins voting for her for the opposite reason. This is like the perfect storm.

I don't vote for Bristol but I have to admit that I find it amusing to see the havoc this causes.
    sunshine3331 and Midol like this.

I was kind of surprised to see Joey go home, certainly before Bristol at least. Sure his dancing wasn't the best, but he gave a great performance. I didn't expect him to last long but not this soon either lol. I am not sure how Bristol is managing to stay around either. She has definitely matured since her last season, but she dry as burnt toast on the dance floor. No real personality showing at all.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    A few late thoughts:

People keep saying that Helio should have lots of fans because NASCAR is huge. Helio is an Indy car driver, not NASCAR. These two groups don't have much cross-over. NASCAR is good old southern boys, Indy Car is international playboys. Indy Car is not nearly as popular as NASCAR in the US so I wasn't surprised he was near the bottom.

Bristol. All things being equal, she would finish 3rd again. So what is different? There are more stars with strong fan votes this time, so that would argue for her leaving sooner than 3rd. On the other hand the Vote for the Worst web site is possibly responsible for a large portion of her votes this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see her finish around 5th.

Ironically, this season is almost tailor made for Bristol since fan votes take on extra importance when most of the dancers are so good that they look like Pros. And the lower her judge's scores, the more her fans vote. Every week she stays around the Vote for the Worst website is going to celebrate and push her thru one more week. There are people that hate the Palins voting for her because they think it makes the Palins look stupid. There are people that love the Palins voting for her for the opposite reason. This is like the perfect storm.

I don't vote for Bristol but I have to admit that I find it amusing to see the havoc this causes.
    I agree with all you have said regarding voting.It was pointed out to me today there is alot of vote splitting going on.So many of the fans have at least two favorites, and while they vote for them, Bristol and perhaps Kirstie to a certain extent, come up through the middle. I don't know how that is ever sorted out. As for Helio, I love both Nascar and Indy. I haven't voted for Helio once. Looking at other competitions, or any reality TV, some feel they dont want a former winner, to win again ( big brother for example) that could be true with DWTS. If that is the case, I see Gilles winning, or perhaps Sabrina.I am still holding out for an Apolo/Gilles finale
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I’m the only one that mentioned NASCAR with regard to Helio and I did it in a two second post without extended elaboration but my understanding is that NASCAR has a stronger popularity, although it’s fans may be more regional, than IndyCar -- but that there actually are racing fans that follow both which was my thought in terms of thinking specifically about vote volume with regard to Helio. I may be entirely off the wall, even in the extended explanation, but I am just throwing a thought out there -- not trying to claim expert status in racing.

And my thought behind throwing that thought out there is really related to the larger thought that the one thing we know for sure is that people, somewhere, gave Helio a fan base to win his season -- albeit against generally lesser competition. So, in doing that, I am not trying to suggest that every NASCAR, or even every IndyCar, fan in America voted for Helio or that everyone on FoRT who follows racing must be supporting Helio -- just throwing speculation out there because I am surprised to see two former winners in the bottom two two weeks in a row and I thought Helio’s performance this week was stronger than Drew’s last week which may have logically nudged Drew closer to the bottom.

Maybe Helio being paired with Julianne, who is popular, the first time around has something to do with it – and, again, not suggesting that everyone who liked Julianne must have voted for him last time and must not be voting for him this time – just engaging in some speculation because I think weeks one and two are a little earlier in the competition to see former champions in the bottom two, even with this All-Stars deal having several of them. Another idea is that there are quite a few sports represented in the All-Stars and, building upon what KatesMom said, football has a larger audience generally, and possibly amongst women, than racing and more women probably do watch DWTS than guys. Just all speculation around the larger question of former champions ending up hitting close to bottom this early on, even in the All-Stars.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I've really been bugged about how teams are eliminated, so I've been looking around the ABC website and found this. Interesting. Now I want to see the "Official Rules made available to each couple."

PROCEDURE FOR ELIMINATING COUPLES:

Each week every couple receives points from the judges and votes from the public. For every couple the show determines the share they received of the total points given by the judges on the night of the performances, and the share they received of the public's votes and add these two shares together. The couple with the lowest combined total is eliminated from the show.

For example if couples A, B and C respectively receive 38, 26 and 14 points from the judges, the show calculates what share these points represent of the total awarded by the judges on the night. In this example the judges gave 78 points in total, and each couples' share of 78 points breaks down as follows: A: 38 points = 48.72% of 78; B: 26 points = 33.33% of 78; C: 14 points = 17.95% of 78. Let's suppose that when the public votes are tallied, each couple has the following shares: A= 20%, B=40%, C=40%. To determine who's eliminated, these two shares are combined for the total:

Couple A: 20+48.72%= 68.72%
    Couple B: 40+33.33%= 73.33%
    Couple C: 40+17.95%= 57.95%

In this example, the bottom two couples would be A and C, and C would be eliminated.

The competition is governed by the Official Rules made available to each couple. The above is a summary for informational purposes only.
    Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to thank AzChristian for looking up this info. Very much appreciated AC. Thanks!
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I loved hearing Phillip Phillips' coronation song, Home, being played over the final credits. First it was the theme song for the Fab Five Gymnasts in the Olympics, and now it's being used as the "farewell" song on DWTS. I also loved the Domingo/Jenkins duet. Her voice is so very special.

As for the results, I haven't lost a favorite yet and look forward to seeing how the stars meet the design challenge for next week. My luck may run out with the double elimination, but my fingers are clicking and dialing so hope remains.
    ness likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 9/25 DWTS Result Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

That Joey Fatone went home before that little twit of a girl and her narcissistic pro is nauseating. Joey was never going to win and was not the best dancer, but he was at the very least entertaining.

Fortunately, Placido and Katherine singing together helped me recover.
    ness, jucamer and Debb70 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think where they went wrong was bringing Bristol back for All Stars. She may have made the finals, but it wasn't because of her dancing. Now, I'm no fan of the girl (at all!) but she's so out of the league compared to everyone else it's not even fair for her, if that makes any sense. They brought back the best of the best (Kirstie might be the exception to that but she did have some really good ballroom dances her season) and then they threw Bristol into the mix. I'm baffled as to why they did that. I can think of at least 10 others who have been a more obvious choice. But what's done is done and really, Mark needs to get his head out of his ass and actually follow the rules of the dances and make things easier for her, not harder.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread