+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree334Likes

Thread: 10/1 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/1 DWTS Performance Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Emmitt was told he would never make it the NFL specifically because of his build.

And I do not want to go around in circles about his joke further other than to say that I do not see it with malicious intent you do and, to be perfectly honest, I sincerely doubt Helio or Apolo do either. If Emmitt was on the same season as Jerry Rice, he would have inserted Wide Receiver into that joke -- because it is that much of a standard jock joke.

I didn't say it was malicious, and I realize we're never going to agree on this, but my objection, on a general basis, is that it's perceived as perfectly okay to make jokes about some people's sports and for everyone to assume they're meant in fun. Even if they are, bottom line, they're still made, and it's viewed as acceptable to make them, because some sports are perceived as more difficult and manly than others, and it's comparing apples and oranges to compare sports. They're all tough to play at their top level in their own ways and they should all be respected, particularly by other athletes. I've never heard anyone make a joke about how football is such an easy sport to play nor have I heard anyone imply that it's not macho or intimidating enough-- but I've heard plenty of jokes about a lot of Olympic sports, despite the fact that something like two man luge is inherently very dangerous and very tough to do well. Maybe lugers aren't being chased by 300 pound linebackers, but the g-forces they deal with, particularly if, God forbid, they flip over during a run, could just as easily send them to the hospital. But because it's a sport that looks funny to American viewers and a sport with which a lot of people are unfamiliar, I've heard people joke about it.
    Allie likes this.

Uh-huh.

Oh, Lord.

Kelly.

I LOVE Val, but it's time for another vacay.

Be back when they're done.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So Kelly got fake boobs for Val, so he'd know what it feels like...I'm not even sure why. I don't think I want to know.

So what's the deal with calling him Valentin this season?

Really odd choices for quickstep songs tonight. I think Apolo's was the only good one so far, and Emmitts.

Great job by Kelly! Loved it! I was kind of worried about her, but she's definitely come a long way since season 1. Love her dress, too.
    jucamer likes this.

That was funny. Men just don't understand how hard the girls can be to keep tamed...And the dance was nice also!
    mesachick likes this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I didn't say it was malicious, and I realize we're never going to agree on this, but my objection, on a general basis, is that it's perceived as perfectly okay to make jokes about some people's sports and for everyone to assume they're meant in fun. Even if they are, bottom line, they're still made, and it's viewed as acceptable to make them, because some sports are perceived as more difficult and manly than others, and it's comparing apples and oranges to compare sports. They're all tough to play at their top level in their own ways and they should all be respected, particularly by other athletes. I've never heard anyone make a joke about how football is such an easy sport to play nor have I heard anyone imply that it's not macho or intimidating enough-- but I've heard plenty of jokes about a lot of Olympic sports, despite the fact that something like two man luge is inherently very dangerous and very tough to do well. Maybe lugers aren't being chased by 300 pound linebackers, but the g-forces they deal with, particularly if, God forbid, they flip over during a run, could just as easily send them to the hospital. But because it's a sport that looks funny to American viewers and a sport with which a lot of people are unfamiliar, I've heard people joke about it.
    Tilden, you are basing all of this on an assumption that Emmitt would never make that joke about another football player.

And, yet, I have heard him make very similar jokes over the past twenty years about other football players.

Helio and Apolo and Emmitt are all following each other on Twitter and probably hanging out in off moments together on DWTS and this is probably par for the course of how all three of them kid around with each other, since they are all athletes.

And if none of that inspires the possibility that Emmitt is just totally kidding around with his fellow jocks, agree to disagree.
    Last edited by chrisg; 10-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Florimel, mesachick and LuckyMom like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Bruno said pretty in pink and extremely elegant. Said she lost her frame, and messed up a couple of steps. CA agrees with Bruno, needs to watch lines when she's not in hold, too (I remember Elisabetta had the same problem). Len liked the part out of hold, liked the spins, is hunchy-grunchy when she's in hold.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    DOES make one WONDER, don't it?????
    I believe Shawn said her doctors told her it was okay to do basically anything but gymnastics.

Realistically, though, it was going to be really, really tough to make this year's women's Olympic gymnastics team. If Shawn decided she'd had enough of beating up her body and training non-stop, considering she'd already achieved top honors in her sport, I could see her simply choosing to end her comeback. Unfortunately, gymnastics is not a sport that's kind to young women as they age--and even at 20, as ridiculous as it sounds, Shawn would be an older competitor.
    justCoz, Allie and Midol like this.

Next week: the AS pick an iconic dance from a past season, with new choreography and music. Len wants it to stay in character and wants eye popping step. Sounds like the AS get creative control? I'm confused.

So now we have to call him "Valentine" (ValentEEN), instead of "Val"...? Why?

+ Reply to Thread